Anyone tried a ~new~ recipe lately?

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Miss Mary

Anyone tried a ~new~ recipe lately?

#1 Postby Miss Mary » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:43 pm

As we begin Fall, it will be nice to get back to baking/roasting again. But I am growing weary of the same old recipes. So that said, does anyone have a brand new recipe they've recently tried or a twist to an old tried and true recipe (for example, pot roast, meat loaf, stuffed peppers, etc.).

The only new recipe I've tried in the past 6 months that my family really liked were the fish/vegetable foil bundles, baked for 12 minutes at 500 degrees. Some prep was involved but they were quite good (found this recipe in a magazine!).......
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#2 Postby CajunMama » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:48 am

I tried a new side dish, fried corn.

I sauteed a bunch of onions in butter then added thawed frozen corn in a large skillet. I would have preferred to use fresh but was limited on time. Added a couple of tbs. of sugar to help the browning process, salt & pepper. Towards the end i added a splash of milk to help make it creamier and cooked it down. Wasn't bad at all!
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#3 Postby Miss Mary » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:25 pm

Wow, that sounds delicious Kathy! Thanks, I will try it. Silver Queen white corn is still available at my local produce store. It won't be for long. I'm sure it would taste great. I wonder if I should blanch it first, then remove it from the husks, so it cooks better?

Your idea reminds me a dish I tried long ago, you slice both carrots and parsnips. After melting butter in a fry pan, add the parsnips. After 8 or 10 minutes, add the carrots, cook again for 8 or more minutes, testing for tenderness. I remember the parsnips took longer than carrots (I hope I have that correct!). Near the end, you add a little brown sugar. Once it carmelizes it turns into a tasty dish.

I had forgotten all about that dish I tried.

What's funny, is my family asked - what are these? White carrots? LOL I buy parsnips occasionally, shredding them into salads. They look exactly like white cheese but they're healthier for you. I also add a few to stews and soups, when carrots are called for.

Thanks for your recipe idea. It indirectly reminded me of the other veggie dish I tried once.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#4 Postby CajunMama » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:00 am

I'm trying crockpot recipes. I'm going to cook a potato soup today. I figure if i just throw everything into the crockpot i'll have more time to play on the computer. :lol:

I've also decided to get all my cooking for the week done today. A pot roast, vegetable soup and potato soup.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Anyone tried a ~new~ recipe lately?

#5 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:44 pm

This is the best Italian Cream Cheese cake in the world. No one could make it better than Thelma Moore, a dear family friend who passed away in May. My wife made it for a church function yesterday and it disappeared in minutes. It is super rich!!

350 degrees Three 9 inch pans

2 sticks of unsalted butter
2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup coconut
1 tsp soda
2 cups sugar
5 eggs-separated
1 cup buttermilk

Combine soda and buttermilk, let stand. Cream sugar and butter. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add buttermilk, alternating with flour (begin and end with flour making three additions). Stir in vanilla. Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Fold in batter. Gently stir in pecans and coconut. Pour into pans, which have been greased and floured. Bake about 35 minutes.

Frosting:

1 8-oz pkg cream cheese
1 lb powdered sugar
1 stick of butter
1 tsp vanilla
Cream cheese and butter. Add vanilla, beat in sugar a little at a time until spreading consistency
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#6 Postby CajunMama » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:00 pm

No calories in that cake huh david? Image
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#7 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:31 pm

CajunMama wrote:No calories in that cake huh david? Image

No it is definitely Low cal!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :double: :double: :lol: :lol:

I don't know, it may rival that baskin-robbins shake that someone posted about. :eek:
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#8 Postby Miss Mary » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:18 am

That cake sounds delicious! Wow, I will have to try it for a special occasion. Meaning, throwing calorie concerns out the window! LOL

I tried a new recipe last month and recently made it again, so I might as well share it. It's so easy I can make several batches, one for our vegetarian family member, one for our whole wheat lovin' member....LOL

Pasta (penne, regular or whole wheat), 8 oz
Fresh vegetables:
Carrots (1 cup, sliced into thin coins, blanched for 2 minutes beforehand)
Zuchinni (1 cup sliced into thick half slices)
Broccoli (1 cup, flowerets)

Frozen veg:
Peas (1 cup)

Optional:
Chicken, cut into chunks or thin strips)

1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
Nutmeg, to taste

1. Boil salted water for pasta. Cook for 8 min. Add carrots, zuchinni, broccoli, cook for 3 min., stirring vegetables into pasta. Add peas, cook for 1 more minute. Drain.

2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, add 1 tablespoon canola oil. Preheat, add chicken. Cook each side 2 minutes, until no longer pink inside. Remove, keep warm. Reduce temp slightly, add cream. Once bubbly, add cheese, then return chicken to mixture. Gently boil for 2 minutes. Toss with pasta/veg mixture. Sprinkle with nutmeg.

Variations: you can substitute shrimp or canned tuna for fresh chicken. You can add any combination of fresh vegetables you'd like to but if you want to keep the carrots, make sure you blanch them first. Otherwise they will be too crisp.

Prep is the key with this recipe, if you get all your veggies ready, water simmering for pasta, chicken pre-sliced, skillet ready, cream and cheese measured, the dish goes well and rather quickly. If you're serving anything else with this meal (salad, bread), make that ahead of time, because once you start the pasta dish, it's busy! But good.

Last time I made it I had so many pots and pans on my stove but we ended up with 3 pans - one was vegetarian but whole wheat, one was whole wheat with chicken, and the last one was what I have to eat - regular white pasta but with chicken. LOL!

I had a lot of dishes to do after that dinner!
0 likes   

arkess7
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby arkess7 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:47 am

sounds awesome! i work at a Italian restaurant....and we have killer italian lemon cream cake... 8-) 8-)
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#10 Postby CajunMama » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:37 pm

I'm having this along with my "Shake & Bake" chicken tonight. Got it from an email Betty Crocker sent me. We're on a first name basis ya know! :lol:

Mashed Potato Au Gratin

Unsalted butter for greasing casserole
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
4 large russet potatoes, peeled, finely chopped (5 cups)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste, if desired
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs

1. Heat oven to 375ºF. Lightly butter a 2-quart casserole. Pour broth into 2-quart saucepan. Add potatoes; stir in 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender. Place colander over medium bowl; drain potatoes, reserving broth.

2. Rinse and dry saucepan. In saucepan, cook 2 tablespoons of the butter and the garlic over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return potatoes to saucepan with butter and garlic; mash with potato masher.

3. Add 1 cup of the reserved broth to potatoes; mix until smooth. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons butter and 1/4 cup of the cheese. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon the potato mixture into casserole. Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and the bread crumbs.

4. Bake about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby Pburgh » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:46 am

Yummy, I'll try it. Thanks so much.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#12 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:10 am

My family has really enjoyed this recipe. The trick is to use good quality balsamic vinegar....the one I used was in the $50 per bottle range. I made it once with cheaper, more vinegary tasting balsamic vinegar and it sure wasn't the same.

Lamb Chops with Balsamic Reduction

Submitted By: PGRAYMENDOZA
Photo By: sanzoe
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes

Ready In: 40 Minutes
Servings: 4
"This recipe for lamb chops is a favorite in my house. It is an easy and quick recipe for two people (we eat two chops each). Rosemary and thyme give it great flavor. If you double the recipe, remember that the sauce will take longer to reduce."
Ingredients:
3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
4 lamb chops (3/4 inch thick)

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup minced shallots
1/3 cup aged balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon butter
Directions:
1. In a small bowl or cup, mix together the rosemary, basil, thyme, salt and pepper. Rub this mixture onto the lamb chops on both sides. Place them on a plate, cover and set aside for 15 minutes to absorb the flavors.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place lamb chops in the skillet, and cook for about 3 1/2 minutes per side for medium rare, or continue to cook to your desired doneness. Remove from the skillet, and keep warm on a serving platter.
3. Add shallots to the skillet, and cook for a few minutes, just until browned. Stir in vinegar, scraping any bits of lamb from the bottom of the skillet, then stir in the chicken broth. Continue to cook and stir over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until the sauce has reduced by half. If you don't, the sauce will be runny and not good. Remove from heat, and stir in the butter. Pour over the lamb chops, and serve.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2011 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 3/21/2011
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lamb-Chops ... tail.aspxI

I also cooked more chops than it specified.
0 likes   

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby ravyrn » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:59 pm

I found an awesome and healthy appetizer recipe. I cooked these at my mother's 60th birthday celebration and it was a big hit with the ladies there. I must have had to share the recipe with about 10 different people who asked about it.

Ingredients

3 small zucchini, trimmed and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices (1 to 1 1/4 pounds)
1/4 cup crumbled Blue cheese (1 ounce)
8 cherry tomatoes, each cut into 3 or 4 slices (about 3/4 cup)
1/4 cup finely shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
Ground black or white pepper
24 small fresh basil leaves

1. Line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Scoop out some of the flesh from the center of each zucchini slice with a melon baller (I didn't have and substituted using a soup spoon), creating a shell that resembles a bowl. Place slices, bowl sides up, on prepared baking sheet.
2. Fill each shell with a crumble or two of the blue cheese. Top each with 1 tomato slice. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and pepper.
3. Bake in a 350 degrees F for 5 to 7 minutes or until cheese melts. (Watch carefully so they do not brown.) Arrange on a serving tray. Garnish each with a fresh basil leaf. Makes about 24 appetizers.

NOTE: You will encounter issues with matching the diameter of tomato slices to that of the zucchini, as the diameter of the tomato slices varied greatly. I believe I ended up slicing up an extra zucchini or two. You can just use the leftover slices in as a side for a later meal or cook some chicken curry and add it to that. I also didn't have any fresh basil at my little bitty ETX town, so I substituted parsley for aesthetics.

0 likes   

Kalrany
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14 Postby Kalrany » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:28 pm

Tried this vegan :eek: chocolate truffle recipy that is omnivore tested and approved. :)

INGREDIENTS:

Truffle Base:
-1 c shredded coconut
-2 c walnuts
-3/4 c cocoa powder
-1/2 c agave nectar or maple syrup
-1 t instant expresso powder
-1/4 t sea salt
-1 T vanilla extract

for chile chocolate: add 2 T pasilla chile and 2 t cayenne.
for thin mint: add 2 t peppermint extract.
etc.

Truffle "ganache" coating:
-1 c coconut oil (I plan to drop this to 1/4 c, as the recipy is liquid at room temp even after freezing cycles, to see if it will solify a bit more)
-1/2 c agave or maple syrup
-1/2 c cocoa powder
-1/2 t espresso powder
-1/4 to 1 t salt
-1 t vanilla

PROCESS:

-Blend (in a food processor) coconut and walnuts, processing for 15-30 seconds. Add all remaining ingredients and process until incorporated.
- Place dough in fridge or freezer for 20 minutes to chill.
-Take dough out and roll into truffle-sized balls (or slightly smaller) and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
-Combine ingredients for the ganache coating in a processor or blender.
-Remove the balls of dough from the freezer and dip into the ganache coating with a fork.
-Place back on parchment paper, sprinkle with coco or cayenne or sea salt or..., and place finished truffles back in the freezer to set up.

BONUS:
The Truffle "ganache" coating (with the 1 c coconut oil) is a perfect homemade Magic Shell! Pour over ice cream for that taste of childhood! :)
0 likes   
TOTAL NOVICE. The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
Lansing MI, Galveston TX, Madison WI, Houston TX, Newark DE

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby ravyrn » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:11 pm

Seeking healthy ideas of stuff to stuff tomatoes and bell peppers with. I've tried quinoa, garlic, and spinach... it was decent but a bit bland. I've also tried quinoa and a corn-n-bean salsa but it didn't turn out as tasty as I had hoped either. Any ideas, folks?

Also seeking good gumbo, jambalaya, and etouffe recipes (the spicier the better).
0 likes   

Kalrany
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#16 Postby Kalrany » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:56 pm

ravyrn wrote:Seeking healthy ideas of stuff to stuff tomatoes and bell peppers with. I've tried quinoa, garlic, and spinach... it was decent but a bit bland. I've also tried quinoa and a corn-n-bean salsa but it didn't turn out as tasty as I had hoped either. Any ideas, folks?

Also seeking good gumbo, jambalaya, and etouffe recipes (the spicier the better).

1- How does brown rice, turkey sausage, greek yogurt, and veg (onion, celery, carrot, green pepper or tomatoe, corn, and/or zuccinni) sounds to you?

2- Seafood, chicken, sausage, veg, mixed? What's the pref?
0 likes   
TOTAL NOVICE. The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby ravyrn » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:40 pm

Kalrany wrote:
ravyrn wrote:Seeking healthy ideas of stuff to stuff tomatoes and bell peppers with. I've tried quinoa, garlic, and spinach... it was decent but a bit bland. I've also tried quinoa and a corn-n-bean salsa but it didn't turn out as tasty as I had hoped either. Any ideas, folks?

1- How does brown rice, turkey sausage, greek yogurt, and veg (onion, celery, carrot, green pepper or tomatoe, corn, and/or zuccinni) sounds to you?

2- Seafood, chicken, sausage, veg, mixed? What's the pref?

No preference, I'll eat damn near anything! I'll definitely try that first suggestion, sounds good. I think I'll try it w/ some onion, celery, and corn.
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby WeatherGuesser » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:49 am

Thoughts on this?

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/mj2b44pw/no ... okies.html

Or alternatives?

With chickens laying golden eggs (based on recent prices), I hate to use them in recipes.

Of course I'd add dried cranberries and some orange essence or flavoring.
0 likes   

Kalrany
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#19 Postby Kalrany » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:53 pm

@ravyn: I will check my "recipe" stash when I head home. I recently made a jambalaya-type dish that my hubby loved.

One onion (yellow/Spanish) chopped medium (about 1-1&1/2 cups)
2ish stalks of celery chopped medium to small (also about 1 cup)
1 large carrot chopped medium to small (closer to 1/2-3/4 cup)
1 large green (or red or yellow or orange) pepper chopped medium (about 1/2 cup)
3 Fresno or Jalapeno chilies seeded and diced fine (about 3-4 TBS)
4 large cloves of garlic diced fine (about 4-5 TBS)
2 cups of small green peas (frozen or shelled if fresh)
1 long link (~1 pound) of cooked andouille sausage cut into thin disks *
~1 pound cleaned, shelled, and deveined shrimp **
2 cups long grain rice
chicken broth (about 4 cups -ish)***
5 sprigs of fresh thyme (about 1 TBS, or 1/2 if dried)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (or coriander leaves, depending on where you live)
1&1/2 TBS turmeric ****
2 TBS paprika
3-5 TBS olive oil
salt and pepper

In a large skillet/pan, heat oil on medium (start with 3TBS, you can add more if the mix gets too dry when cooking) and sauté celery and carrot for 2 minutes, then add onion until soft, then add green pepper and sauté until soft. Salt and pepper with each addition. Add andouille and cook for 3-5 minutes for oils to release. Add rice and coat with pan oils (likely need to add a bit more olive oil here) and toast for 2-3 minutes. Start adding chicken broth in 1/2 cup increments with stirring. Once mixture is wet, add thyme, turmeric, paprika, and more salt and pepper. Let broth mostly absorb (like making risotto) before adding next addition. Cook until rice is mostly soft. At the final 5 minutes cook time, add shrimp and green peas. Cook until rice is soft and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, add cilantro, and serve.

* If andouille sausage is not available, can substitute polish sausage and 1 TBS of Cajun seasoning (1 part each powered: rosemary, thyme, cayenne pepper, coriander, oregano, black pepper, smoked paprika; 2 parts powdered: onion, garlic, salt; and 1/2 part powdered ginger, cinnamon. Store cool and dry.) Alternatively, a merguez (a lamb sausage) or chorizo (a pork sausage) works well here too. If the cooked links are not available, cook fresh links and let cool before slicing.

** Can add any meat, or skip all together. Other options are cubed: chicken thighs or turkey tenders, pork loin, tofu, firm white fish (e.g. bass or cod or pollock), alligator, octopus; clams, mussels, or oysters; sliced squid... I think beef is a bit heavy for these favors, but would be good with the addition of 1 tsp tomato paste and 1 cup canned or jarred tomatoes substituted for 1/2 cup broth.

***An alternative vegetarian option would be to substitute vegetable broth, skip sausage and other meats, and add 2 TBS of Cajun seasoning. After rice is partially cooked, add veggie combo and cook until soft. Use large chopped vegetables ( 1/2 onion, 3 zucchinis, 3 yellow squashes, etc,) for texture. I think mushrooms are like the beef, and need the same tomato additions.

****For a bit of a paella flavor, replace 1/2 to all of the turmeric with saffron. Works better if the dish does not include any tomato product.

@Weatherguesser: the recipe looks rather wet if you want a soft cookie – likely to spread a lot when cooking, and end up kind of crispy... May want to tweak the flour and oat to butter ratio if you find you don’t like the texture. The website has some good options for doing that. BONUS --Looks like a good cookie dough recipe without cooking, though.
0 likes   

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby ravyrn » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:10 pm

Thanks Kalrany I'll give it a go!
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”