Need some good Thanksgiving recipes

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Need some good Thanksgiving recipes

#1 Postby angelwing » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:05 am

We're finally moving next month and we're able to invite my sister-in-law & her hubby over for Thanksgiving dinner for the first time. She's an awesome cook (and critic) so I'm a little lost for ideas. I usually make just a turkey with Stove-top stuffing, Mrs Paul's candied yams, and once in a great while I would make my mom's coleslaw. The hubby wants me to make fresh of everything for her, which I wouldn't mind that mch but I don't have a great bread stuffing recipe.

Since we've been on the South Beach diet we haven't eaten anything frozen or canned so if anyone out there has any good recipes for:

1-bread stuffing
2-candied yams

I would appreciate it greatly. I also plan on getting my turkey either from Wegman's or Whole Foods (I usually get Lancaster Brand)as they have fresh ones, so that's not a biggie.

Thanks!
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#2 Postby Miss Mary » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:59 am

Well, instead of candied yams, my sister-in-law has become known for a fresh mashed yam recipe she makes in a crockpot. She adds bourbon to the dish!

If that appeals to you (it's so easy she says, you don't even need your oven, which is always full of other sides.....), let me know. I can ask her for the recipe.
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby angelwing » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:07 am

I'm game for anything, lol! TY!!! :D
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#4 Postby Miss Mary » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:08 am

I will email her today!
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Pburgh » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:54 am

Candied Yams
(these are so easy)
Buy 4-6 yams.
Boil with skins on in water till they are fork tender.
Take the skins off and slice about about 1" thick.
Place in baking dish.
Drizzle pancake syrup over them. (about 1/2 cup)
Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Sprinkle 1 cup of brown sugar over them.
Dap with butter. (about 1 stick)
Salt - Pepper
I sprinkle mine with pecans. (about 1 cup)
Top with miniature marshmallows.
Cover and bake at 375° for about 45 minutes
Take the cover off in the last 15 minutes and marshmallows will brown.
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby angelwing » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:17 am

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Need some good Thanksgiving recipes

#7 Postby CajunMama » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:19 am

Here's the recipe i use for sweet potatoes.

Holiday Sweet Potato

1 egg beaten
1 30 oz. can of yams, drained
1 tsp. cinnamon
¼ cup sugar
2 tbsp. melted butter
¼ cup milk
Dash of salt

Topping:
¼ cup butter
2 tbsp. flour
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350. Combine first 7 ingredients and beat until fluffy. Pour into 8”x8” pan.

Topping:
Cream together butter, flour & sugar. Add pecans and spsread mixture evenly on top of potatoes. Bake for 50 minutes.

If i don't feel like sweet potatoes i make this recipe. It's just like the one Picadilly cafeteria makes.

Carrot Souffle’

2 lbs. peeled carrots
2 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 tbsp. baking powder
4 tbsp. flour
1 cup liquid margarine
1 tbsp. vanilla

Cook or steam carrots for 45 minutes or until soft. While carrots are hot, whip in blender or food processor. Add sugar, baking powder and vanilla then add the flour and mix until smooth. Stir in eggs then margarine and place in oven dish.

Bake at 350 for 1 ½ hours. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.

My mother in law makes her own cornbread stuffing. She makes the meat mixture from scratch. I don't do that. I tried it once and it was a fiasco so i cheat and buy the premade savoie's dressing mix and mix it with martha white white cornbread mix. I also add the dressing mix to rice also.

My mother in law also makes whipped sweet potatoes. She bakes her sweet potatoes, then peels them and adds butter, lots & lots of butter and whips them until creamy with an electric mixer. She then tops them with marshmallows.
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby Pburgh » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:24 am

Stuffing recipe

1 large bag of croutons (about 6 cups)
2 sticks of celery (diced) I like to dice up the heart of the celery too.
1 small onion (diced)
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup of chicken broth
1 egg
1 cup of bread crumbs
2 TBS of Poultry Seasoning
2 TBS of Parsley Flakes
Salt and pepper to taste

Dice celery and onions and saute in butter till tender.
In a large bowl put sauteed onions and celery along with bread crumbs, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and parsley. Add the egg, chicken broth and bread crumbs and "mush" it all together. If needed add more breadcrumbs until has the consistency of your "Stovetop" stuffing. (You don't want it to be soupy but on the dry side)

If you want to add sauteed sausage or sauteed mushrooms at this point that's really yummy. Make sure that after you saute either one of these that you pat them dry on a paper towel before putting them into the stuffing.

Bake in bird or baking pan.
If baking in pan, bake for 45 minutes (uncovered) at 350°. (Check after ½ hour to make sure it isn’t drying out.)

If baking in the bird, read the instruction on the Turkey for temps and times.
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Pburgh » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:02 am

Mary
Don't be intimidated by Thanksgiving dinner. There are so many things you can do days and even weeks ahead of time.

I bet you didn't know that baked pumpkin pies freeze very well. You can bake them weeks in advance and freeze them. Take them out of the freezer the day before Thanksgiving. I love the recipe that's right on the back of the pumpkin can. I make my own crust but the Pillsbury pie dough premade crusts are really good.

You can parboil the yams several days in advance and have them ready to throw in a baking dish with all the other ingredients and then bake them after you take the turkey out. They only take 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Take your turkey out of the oven about 1 hour before you eat. Cover it with foil and let it sit before you carve it.

You can saute your veggies for stuffing many days in advance and mix the stuffing, put it in a zip lock bag and refrigerate until you're ready to put it in a pan (or bird) and bake it.

I find that the BEST coleslaw can be made with shredded cabbage from the grocery store and Marzetti's Coleslaw dressing. It can be made several days in advance.

Mashed potatoes can be peeled in the early morning and put into a pan with water until you're ready to boil and mash them. A little chicken broth and lots of butter make tatters taste extra good.

Grab a bag of cranberries and put them in a pan on the stove over low heat with 1/2 cup of orange juice and 1 cup of sugar. The berries will pop when they are done. This can be made 1 week ahead of time. If you want to add Splenda instead of sugar, that works too.

Can you tell that I love to cook Thanksgiving dinner.
Enjoy
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby angelwing » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:12 pm

Thank you all for the great recipes! Now all I have to do is figure out how to use the electric oven, never cooked on one of them
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby Pburgh » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:36 pm

What have you cooked your turkey in previously?
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby angelwing » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:00 pm

I cooked my turkey in gas ovens..my mom's, my mother in laws, and the past 2 apartments I had had gas ovens, no clue with electric if it will be faster or the same.
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”