Holiday Decorations thread.....2008!

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Miss Mary

Holiday Decorations thread.....2008!

#1 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:19 am

I have at least 8 bins of holiday related decorations in the basement (no they are not on display yet, I just can't get into the xmas spirit yet!).......maybe Thanksgiving came too late in the month of November but all of a sudden, it's just - busy!

Anyway, I promised myself I was not going to buy one ornament or table top decoration this year, since the economy is so bad and our budget is tight (we are only buying 6 people gifts this year!)......

Of course I found myself in a knick knack shop yesterday that is one of my favorites for xmas merch. I found an ornament I want - $5. Haven't bought it. Put the hint out to my daughter though. LOL

Then as we were walking thru this one of a kind store (neat, neat stuff at this store!), we bumped into a life size stuffed deer (I hope it was fake, it had to be)......anyway, it was priced at $360! And we joked, our dog would just freak out if we came home with something like that.......but really, who would buy something this big and where would you put it 11 months of the year? LOL That was the craziest xmas decoration I've seen lately.......

I had to give it one final "pet" before I left the store. It did somewhat scare me when I first saw it, your first thought was - who let their dog in here? Their great dane sized dog? he he I imagine the store clerks had a laugh when he showed up in a delivery truck......

Oh but I could have spent hundreds of dollars in this store. Candlestick sets, table top village creations (I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff but I am not buying any of it this year), xmas linens, doilies, table top runners, etc. This store even has an upside down xmas tree, of course all decorated.

Your turn.....what stores do you have that sell xmas merch? Or what's the craziest xmas item you've seen lately? And who among hasn't wandered down that battery operated dec aisle at Walgreens? My 18 yo daughter had so many of those stuffed animal and xmas trees going the other day.....what a riot.
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Holiday Decorations thread.....2008!

#2 Postby angelwing » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:00 am

We discovered a store called "Home Goods" when we moved and they have the most beautiful stuff for Christmas! I could easily spend hundreds of $$$ on all the stuff that I saw that I liked, the decorated bark-like Christmas trees-(the ones made out of garland look so crappy), the gold& brown ornaments, for some reason I am getting into earth tones and with the green Christmas tree and those ornaments it would have looked pretty, sigh, but our budget is tighter than a crab's *** at high tide. A couple of years ago, near the Poconos there were 2 places we had gone to, "The Country Store" was a HUGE place that had everything! but I think 2 years ago there was a massive fire and it all burnt down, they have a tent now and are rebuilding, but they had some old time stuff. There is also the "Christmas Store", but of course they are a little bit expensive, so we haven't gone back there yet.

One of these days I would love to go to Michigan (I think it's Michigan)there's a huge huge Christmas store, I think the name is Bonners? I know the name starts with a "B"; My sisiter in law had gone there a few years ago and had gotten me a beautiful Polish Christmas Blessing Ball that I put on the tree each year.
0 likes   

weathermom
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Holiday Decorations thread.....2008!

#3 Postby weathermom » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:22 am

I think it is Bonners, I have ordered from their catalog....If you can't actually get there, the catalog is second best!

Home goods is a great store. Sometimes you can find all kinds of great stuff and other days there isn't anything much of interest. It is one of my favorite places to poke around when my daughter is at her art class!!

I have a small (VERY expensive) Christmas shop near my house, it is fun to go and look, but I never buy until the after Christmas sale!
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#4 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:59 pm

I know where that MI store is located!

Frankenmuth, MI.

We were on our way north one summer, to Traverse City in MI but stopped for one night in Frankenmuth. It's just this very quaint, possibly over the top, Bavarian style town. Picture something you'd see in a Disney movie and/or at a Disney themed park. That is Frankenmuth! The xmas store, Bronner's, is open year round. I wanted to visit but knew our mere 12 to 16 hour stay was all my husband would settle for. Besides I could have easily blown thru $100 in that store and this was July! LOL But one of these days I'd like to go back. They had delicious ice cream in this town and roasted chicken dinners that were served family style, in several restaurants. All home cooking.

Here's their website:
http://www.bronners.com/

More:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2074223_visit-f ... higan.html
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#5 Postby CajunMama » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:20 pm

Oh that sounds like my kind of store!!!!!!

I set out every year my collection of santas. I probably have about 100 or so...maybe more. I add a couple of more every year. This year I added, at my husbands insistence, a santa from the elton john store in caesars palace in las vegas. We were there to see him in concert and i wasn't going to buy it because of the price but well darn, he insisted!

We put colored lights on the house and i wrap the branches of my crepe myrtles in colored lights. For the trunks of the crepe myrtle, instead of wrapping each trunk (there's 5 trunks per tree) i took a piece of pvc pipe, spray painted it green and wrapped it in green lights. Then on the ground i cover my bed in white lights. That's about the only snow i get! :lol:

For much of my christmas decoration shopping i hit hobby lobby and there stuff is almost always 1/2 off. I've gotten some really really good deals.
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”