What gifts not to buy teachers.....

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Miss Mary

What gifts not to buy teachers.....

#1 Postby Miss Mary » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:44 am

Thought this forum would be a good place to put this article. At one time, when my girls were quite young, we felt the pressure to buy their teachers the "perfect" gifts each xmas and at the end of the school year. Some years it was so EASY to decide what to give them. Other years I knew what my daughters were suggesting would be items these teachers had plenty of (ornaments, coffee mugs).....not to mention all the teacher items at craft fairs, ie the ones with red apples on them, the #1 Teacher pens, pencil holders, etc......

Anyway, in case you haven't shopped for your child's teacher yet, read on......stamps came up several times in this article. I never would have thought of that! If I had to do it again, I'd buy a teacher a box of nice thank you notes and stamps. Can't go wrong with these!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28162413/
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby O Town » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:03 am

LOL, I am guilty of ornaments, and candles. Not your cheap everyday ones tho.
Year b4 last we made, or the girls made with MIL chocolate covered apples on a stick
and then sprinkled nuts, M&Ms, or tiny marshmellows on them. Then put in cello bag and tie
with a bow and name tag. The teachers LOVED them, and they are so easy to make, and very tasty as well.
We actually made them for some of the family last year. This year I am making Pizzelles, an Itialian cookie,
with my late grandmas recipe and old pizzelle iron for family because they all love them from
when grandma used to make them all the time. I am thinking I am going to do the apples again
for the teachers, its too yummy and easy, and also looks very pretty. Lots of oooooo's and ahhhhhh's
when you walk in with a box of those. :)
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#3 Postby CajunMama » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:27 am

It wasn't a Christmas gift but an end of the year gift for a wonderful 4th grade teacher my son had. I sent a note to all the parents suggesting that instead of everyone giving little gifts lets all go in together for one nice gift. I think i didn't ask for more than $5 per student but if they wanted to give more they could. I had all parents give except for one because they thought the teacher was horrible (could it have been the student and not the teacher????). I ended up with so much money for the camera that we were able to purchase a very high quality one, nice case and more film (before digitals) than she knew what to do with. She was so grateful.

I bet if you pooled together with all or some of the students and gave the teacher a gift card it would be greatly appreciated. Teachers salaries aren't the greatest, at least here they're not so it would be a nice gift for the teacher.
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Pburgh » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:19 pm

O Town, it's a good thing you have your Grandma's pizzelle iron. When my daughter moved to Roanoke, Virginia many, many years ago, she tried to buy a pizzelle iron down there so she could make pizzelles. They had no idea what she was talking about. I had to buy an iron up here and send it to her.
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”