Sooooo, what post holiday meals do you crave by now?

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Miss Mary

Sooooo, what post holiday meals do you crave by now?

#1 Postby Miss Mary » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:59 am

At this point I cannot look at another honey baked ANYTHING! Or a tin of cookies (store bought or homemade), a box of chocolates, or fancy gift item (which were nice the first few days but by now, my body is revolting that it needs plain, comfort type food!).....

I had the worst case of heartburn late yesterday afternoon. I got it under control but my daughters and I were having a girls night out at the movies (Marley & Me). We flipped the movie time so I could skip dinner (I felt so much better w/o food!). They carried out a pizza and ate it at home after 8. Long story short, I need a very good dinner tonight!

Which prompted this new thread - after a long week of parties and holiday type meals (office and company type catering too), do you just need one meal you normally have?

My entire family needs something very simple such as: Baked Salmon, Brown Rice, Fresh steamed vegetables, simple salad and rolls (preferably whole wheat for my family). I'd love roast chicken and mashed potatoes but they need fiber right now....he he

Feel free to contribute........party food is delicious but it gets OLD! And when you're no longer young my body does odd things to tell you hey, I need the food you usually feed me! LOL For me, I had a round of belching like you wouldn't believe late yesterday afternoon. Gavisgon, a few slices of plain bread and lots of water cleared it up. But by then I didn't want to eat anything until this morning. I feel so much better today!
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby mf_dolphin » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:30 pm

I favor a big galss of milk and a grilled cheese sandwich or two! My Doctor would yell but you only live once :-)
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby O Town » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:06 pm

I hear ya Mary. I am so over the sweets!! And I still have a half of a huge box of
cookies/sweets my mom makes every year, and a tin of stuff from the Popcorn Factory.
We had chicken and yellow rice with peas yesterday and oh man it was nice. My kids
ate it like it was going out of style. I think they get a little tired of it too. But guess
what tomorrow we are going to do one last round, lol. I am making finger foods for us
to munch on for the evening, but I did include a vegi. Spinach for the artichoke dip :P
does that count? he he. My body hasn't been functioning right either, if you
know what I mean. :lol: I need some vegis and fiber myself. I love the Holidays, but
breathe a sigh of relief when they are finally over........
Thursday its bone in pork loin on the barbi with corn and some kinda of starch.
Time to get back in the normal swing of things. YAY!
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#4 Postby Miss Mary » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:00 am

So I'm not alone. That's a comfort to learn. Marshall, I had a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch yesterday. Yum! Along with a banana. Another yum. LOL OTown - I hear you on the regular dinners. Yes even kids need plain dinners too. The popcorn and pizza didn't agree with my daughter so well so she had a slow day yesterday too. I still made salmon, brown rice, steamed broc. for dinner, along with cottage cheese and fresh fruit (strawberries and kiwi) for a side dish. I have one more party dish to take to a NYD party tomorrow. I have the ingredients for the Oreo Truffles, why not make another batch. I hope party goers have iron clad stomaches, LOL! But it tempting to bring fresh fruit shish kabobs or a simple tossed salad to that invite.....me, I'll go but at this point I cannot even look at another dip!
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Pburgh » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:54 pm

Grilled cheese sandwich, tomato soup and a big glass of milk.
0 likes   

arkess7
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Sooooo, what post holiday meals do you crave by now?

#6 Postby arkess7 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:43 pm

Well I wasnt around for the Holidays...... :eek: I want a big pot of crab legs (they are sell at Publix for 5.99) a pourterhouse steak and shrimp on the grill along with some grilled zuccinni and sauteed mushrooms.....a huge romaine lettuce, tomatoe, cuc, onion, carrot, radish, red bell pepper, black olives, shredded chz salad with ranch and blue chz dressing! :)

NO BREAD NEEDED!!! :lol:
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#7 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:20 am

Pburgh wrote:Grilled cheese sandwich, tomato soup and a big glass of milk.

That was a staple in my upbringing. I thought it was a food group!! :D
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby Pburgh » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:11 am

Are you my long, lost brother????
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#9 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:02 pm

Pburgh wrote:Are you my long, lost brother????

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D Sometimes I wonder!!
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#10 Postby Miss Mary » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:24 pm

LOL @ you two.....

Grilled cheese, tomato soup and a glass of milk are real comfort foods. No wonder you both like this combination!

My youngest daughter was home from college last week and wanted home cooking since the dining hall food is awful. One of her favorite meals is something I'm almost embarrassed to make, I feel like I'm making such a simple meal, almost cheating (since we so rarely eat out). I simmer chicken stock or broth, with diced or shredded leftover chicken, shredded carrot, diced onion, sliced celery, paprika, celery salt, a handful of frozen peas. I thicken it with water/flour near the end and serve over toast. I have no idea what this dish is officially called - Chicken Ala King? My first Mother-in-law made it with turkey after Thanksgiving and called it Turkey Manhatten.

Whatever it's called, it's her favorite meal. I've made it so many times over the years I could prepare it in my sleep!
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby Pburgh » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:44 am

It's great over rice too. I call it creamed chicken or turkey. I love it too.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#12 Postby Miss Mary » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:56 pm

Great idea Karan. I've even made that dish with canned albacore tuna but boy do I ever get feedback on that! This daughter takes one bite and says - this isn't chicken! Yuck! LOL
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby Pburgh » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:45 am

It's chicken of the sea!!!
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#14 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:57 pm

And now I have Jessica Simpson on the brain....thanks for that image!

Tonight I'm making something with chicken of the sea....LOL Simple stuffed peppers. Mostly rice, a little diced onion and celery, spices, bread crumbs, small amount of tomato sauce or paste to hold it together. Since I am out of real chicken I'll use tuna. LOL And oh I forgot, a little shredded cheese.
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”