Sweet Gum Maple Trees!

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Miss Mary

Sweet Gum Maple Trees!

#1 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:06 pm

My gosh, can they ever carpet the grass with their pods! And right where our Golden Retriever has her electric fence range too. We can't even play with her right now. They are literally no fewer than 500 pods in a small area around just 2 trees!

I remember when we bought these maple trees from the nursery. We wanted a different type of maple tree but the salesman gave us these 2, at a discount.

Yeah, what a discount!

Anyone else have this type of tree? They drop SO MANY pods, hundreds. This winter both trees have literally hundreds more still hanging, waiting until a strong wind blows them down.

I spent one hour yesterday trying to make a dent in getting this up off our lawn. I need to spend a full day out there getting all of them up. A rake works only so so, I just keep working in a pattern, hoping to see some progress!

Anyway, pretty trees and all but these pods......yikes, and I have never really come up with a great craft idea for them either! LOL

Just venting....off to pick up more.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#2 Postby CajunMama » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:32 pm

We have those trees down here too. You can't walk barefoot in the grass in the summer if you've got one of those in your yard. Hate 'em! I grew up with some in my yard and my dad eventually cut them down and planted liveoaks.

If you have alot of gumballs you can always have your husband do this?

or for next Christmas you can make:

0 likes   

Miss Mary

#3 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:46 pm

OH MY GOD Kathy......you are cracking me up here! And I'm so happy to give you something to do today....he he That first pic, LOL!!!!

I have thought of wreaths, etc. Just never had the Martha Stewart type patience to get out that glue gun and have at it.

I'm almost half way now......I can actually see a dent. I can see a distinct line where I've picked up the yard. We had fierce winds the other day (40MPH+) and that's what did it, these winds brought down hundreds of them). Our poor dog, she winces if you play with her right now and it's cruel to make her run. They're everywhere! As a puppy, we'd put them in an old dirty sock of ours, tie a knot and she'd have so much fun chewing it. Of course her teeth were probably coming in now. Now she just ignores the darn things!

Thanks for the suggestions though.....
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

Re: Sweet Gum Maple Trees!

#4 Postby Dionne » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:27 am

I always thought those "pods" were porcupine eggs?
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#5 Postby Miss Mary » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:06 pm

LOL!!

They are indeed prickly if you're barefoot and step on one. Yikes!
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby mf_dolphin » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:54 am

I grew up with 20 of those damn trees in the yard. Guess who's job it was to clean up the yard... My life's ambition is to wipe every one of those trees off the face of the earth!
0 likes   

weathermom
Category 2
Category 2

#7 Postby weathermom » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:26 am

Mary, found this on one website, could be useful...I have a terrible time with slugs eating my hostas.

[color=#8040BF]You can put sweet gum seed pods around plants to discourage slugs, this works quite well with hostas. I use them as "mulch" around trees in the easement beside our house to discourage dog walkers from allowing "Fluffy" to do his bathroom business there. The seed pods also discourage cats from using your flower beds as a litter box. If you would like an organic mulch in an area not often used, throw the seed pods in there. They last a long time, work fine and don't cost a cent. [/color]

there was also a suggestion of stringing them on fishing line and spray painting gold for garland. (you know, in your spare time!!!)
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#8 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:08 pm

LOL!!! Well, Marshall, I have a job for you!

20 trees though - oh my, that is far too many. These trees just drop way too many pods, IMO. Triple at least that of a pine tree that drops pine cones.

So I have half the yard picked up, there's a dividing line. I just ran out of time. I play with the dog on the other side. And now that it's snowed an inch or so, they're hidden. Oh but all you have to do is walk across the yard and you know they're under the snow.

Thanks for the suggestions weathermom - LOL. Yes in my spare time I'll make garland for next xmas!!! But I have thought these could be made into some sort of decoration.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby mf_dolphin » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:52 am

I can tell you one thing, when you get hit by one of those pods coming out of a lawn mower it hurts like hell....
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#10 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:12 am

mf_dolphin wrote:I can tell you one thing, when you get hit by one of those pods coming out of a lawn mower it hurts like hell....

You got that right!!!! I HATE THOSE TREES!!! The only good one is one that is cut down!!!!
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#11 Postby Dionne » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:14 pm

Porcupine Egg Pie

(6) cups heavy cream

(2 1/2) lbs fresh gulf shrimp

(2) Porcupine eggs....boiled in curry with red pepper

(4) tablespoons sweet cream butter

Olive Oil as required.....with a touch of Popeye Spinach

St Kitts Sea Salt to taste

(2) ounces of Cognac

A big chunk of grated Asiago cheese

Cook all ingredients in a large sauce pan....let sit and serve with a nice 1968 Napa Valley Beaujolais at room temperature.

Sleep well.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#12 Postby Miss Mary » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:15 am

Update - you can barely see my lawn save for the cover of pods.

We had Ike roar thru last Sept. Then more wind since then, then last week's mini-windstorm (we now need a roofing company to replace blown off shingles, only about 15 but they'll probably suggest a new roof since ours is 20 years old now).

I keep waiting for more wx events before we do something about these pods (hubby joked we could take the trees down, because if you look at them right now, there are probably 500 more pods poised to come down!).

Going to pay my next door neighbor $20 to rake them up and put them in my garbage can. They cover a small area, but it's the area our dog walks. Her poor paws! The area is about 20' by 10'.

Do you all think $20 is a fare price?

I just want to save my back, since it's not pain free anymore.....
0 likes   

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby JenBayles » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:22 pm

It's worth it! Our neighbors had a sweet gum and we always used those things for ammo. :cheesy:
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#14 Postby Miss Mary » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:21 am

Jen - we keep having more and more mini-windstorms so I'm waiting. But I will ask my next door neighbor's son if he wants to make $. I think I'll make it $25. We have a lot of these things on the ground. It looks like a carpet by now. If we had a mulcher, they could be mulched up probably.....LOL!
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#15 Postby Miss Mary » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:20 pm

Update.....

Sweet Gum Maple Tree pods? GONE!

Until the next strong wind storm......whew, glad they're off the ground now. What a nuisance! Wished I had known that these trees would drop hundreds of pods in their mature years. Sheesh!

And I saved myself $25, didn't hire my neighbor's son. Just thought, it's warm today (70s!) and why not do this job myself. Hubby even helped.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby mf_dolphin » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:29 pm

Good job! Need to borrow my chain saw before next year? ;-)
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#17 Postby Miss Mary » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:30 pm

LOL! You know, hubby did say a while back, we could remove these trees. But they are huge! And provide lots of shade.....I'd hate to hack down a living thing......still, they are not the trees we wanted. We wanted regular maples and got tricked into these maples, that drop all these pods!

Anywho, I'm back to picking up about 20 a day. I just shouldn't have let them accumulate like I did!

Now we can play fetch with the dog again....you see all that snow we kept having covered them up, but now it's spring. No more snow!
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”