Wall clocks......that work?

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Miss Mary

Wall clocks......that work?

#1 Postby Miss Mary » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:54 pm

We would like a wall clock in our kitchen, since the knobs on our 20 year old stove are shot, it's very hard to set that clock (you have to insert a sharp knife or flat head screwdriver into the grooves, push down hard to move the hands, then try not to have the timer go off too....LOL).

However, we've bought some real duds over the years. That seem to work for short periods of time, then quit.

Even if you put new batteries in them, they lose time or no longer work at all. Also, I read somewhere that when you change the time for Daylight Savings changes, you should go forward (if it has hands you rotate or move with your fingers, not backwards).

That said, we just have the worst luck in keeping a battery operated clock going and having it be accurate!

Any suggestions? A brand that is very reliable?

Thanks.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby mf_dolphin » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:30 pm

Seth Thomas is an old name but still a good one when it comes to clocks of any type. I have a Seth Thomas mantle clock that's been in the family for 4 generations and it still keeps wonderful time.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#3 Postby Miss Mary » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:05 am

Thanks Marshall. I'll see if I can find a wall clock with this brand. We have a mantle clock and clocks on the old VCR, a digital thermometer that also has a clock but we need one in the kitchen, that works. Oh yeah, our microwave is old too, he he and it keeps time - fast! I have arrived to work 10 minutes early several time now.....LOL

But that's what I was looking for - a reliable, dependable brand name.
0 likes   

jcool
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#4 Postby jcool » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:36 am

Miss Mary, We have a La Crosse Technologies radio controlled clock that has worked well for three years. Bonus is you never have to set it... even for daylight savings time. It is the only clock in the house that always has the correct time! Julia
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#5 Postby Miss Mary » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:51 pm

Julie - thanks, my husband would probably like to choose this clock. Since he's into tech gadgets and such. But that would be the best situation - never having to change the time. And having it work. I did google La Crosse and lots of links came up. I know we'll find something.

It's just that over the years we've purchased clocks for other rooms and they've been SO disappointing. Like throwing away your money!
0 likes   

weathermom
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Wall clocks......that work?

#6 Postby weathermom » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:15 am

Miss Mary, your kitchen sounds a lot like mine! I just replaced a 22 year old refrigerator, only because the door shelves were cracking!

My microwave clock only shows parts of the numbers, so you can't read it at all. The wall clock is almost never correct. It does still work, (but there is no name, cant help you there, it was purchased in Venice years ago) however I am always very slow to change the batteries. I have a bum knee and am very hesitant to climb on chairs/ladders and play with the glass clock.....so, the joke in our house is to use the time on the wall clock when it is dead. If one of the kids asks what time it is, I will answer ten of six because that is what the wall clock has been reading for weeks. (Have to wait for hubby to change it) Every once in a while someone will ask the time and it will actually be ten of six and they won't believe me!!

Good luck in your quest for a decent clock!
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#7 Postby CajunMama » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:16 am

Darn you Mary! :lol: Every time since i've read this thread i notice wall clocks. EVERYWHERE!!!!! The gift shop i was in yesterday. Walmart has a display of them with their seasonal stuff.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#8 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:06 pm

weathermom - LOL!!! Yep once again, we have yet another thing in common! Sure would be nice to have appliances that work and keep accurate time too. LOL "Ten of Six...." - cracking up here. At least they know what that means!!! Have you ever tried saying before, after, half past, 15 before........with kids? They look at you as if you're from another planet! All they know is digital time!

When we had our home built, our builder agreed to financing our new appliances too, they were added to the total purchase price. I always think of my husband's words as we moved in - the good news is we have all new appliances. The bad news is they could all go at the same time!

Hasn't quite happened that way - thank goodness! Still on my original stove (almond, black trim, GE) and original microwave (obviously, since it keeps time fast!)....but after about 5 years I began to worry, what if all these appliances fail at once? Yikes!

And Kathy - only too happy to give you something to think about these days....he he Yes wall clocks are everywhere. But the truth is, they're not all created equal. So many have been out and out duds.....
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”