Quick bread recipes......

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Miss Mary

Quick bread recipes......

#1 Postby Miss Mary » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:30 pm

I'm often times an impatient cook/baker. I like the taste of homemade bread made with yeast but I don't have 3 or 4 hours at a stretch to wait for all that rising, etc.

So, I searched an old cookbook given to me by my late MIL and found a quick bread/muffin section in an old Betty Crocker cookbook (circa 1960s.....).

Found this muffin recipe which I halved and converted to a small loaf of bread. It was so good! Feel free to post your own quick bread recipes. I'd like to collect more recipes than this one.

Apple Muffins/Quick Bread

1 egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
2 cups all-purpose flour (or you could use 1 cup whole wheat, 1 cup all purpose)
1/4 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup grated apple

Heat oven to 400. Grease bottoms of 12 muffin cups (or two medium sized loaf pans). Tip-if making bread, line pan with large sheet of foil, forming entire inside with foil and spray with cooking spray. Beat egg; stir in milk, oil and grated apple. Mix in remaining ingredients until flour is moistened. Batter should be lumpy. Pour into muffin cups or loaf pans. Sprinkle topping (listed below). Bake 15 to 20 minutes for muffins, 25 to 30 for bread.

Topping: Mix 1/3 cup brown sugar (packed), 1/3 cup chopped nuts (optional) and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#2 Postby CajunMama » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:05 pm

I came across this recipe today and it's been a long time since i made it. I made it tonight and it is sooooo good.

MONKEY BREAD
Serves 15.

1 cup granulated sugar
2 tsps. ground cinnamon
3 (12-oz.) pkgs. refrigerated biscuit dough
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 cup butter
1 cup light brown sugar, packed

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease one (9- or 10-inch) tube or Bundt pan. Mix granulated sugar and cinnamon in a plastic bag.
2. Cut biscuits into quarters. Shake 6 to 8 biscuits in the sugar-cinnamon mixture. Arrange pieces in the bottom of the prepared pan. Continue until all biscuits are coated and placed in pan. If using nuts and raisins, arrange them in and among the biscuit pieces as you go along.
3. In a small saucepan, melt the butter and the brown sugar over medium heat. Boil for 1 minute. Pour over the biscuits.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto a plate. Do not cut! The bread just pulls apart.
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”