Who's cutting their lawn twice a week?

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Miss Mary

Who's cutting their lawn twice a week?

#1 Postby Miss Mary » Tue May 05, 2009 6:19 am

LOL!

I have tried to stretch my lawn cuttings, to oh every 5 to 7 days, but usually over a weekend so I'm cutting relatively close to when all the type A husbands around our yard cut their lawns. These guys are obsessed with the perfect lawn. Ugh......meanwhile my hubby opted out of this job because of seasonal allergies - years ago. He was a mess, coming inside every 15 minutes for more kleenex and to well, complain. Eventually I said - when this mower dies (we went thru a string of bad lemons over the first oh 12 years of moving to this house...he he) buy a self propelled mower and I'll take over this job.

It's been my job ever since 2000. LOL

Soooo, I'm now cutting every 4 days. So this lawn looks good and my mower doesn't keep stalling out (I do scrape the undersides each time before cutting and set the height on the second highest setting). It's been raining a lot up here in the Ohio Valley so the grass has been growing like crazy.

I'm just getting kinda tired of this.....and it's only MAY! Yikes........

Just wondering if other members find it better to cut before your lawn almost goes to seed and becomes too tall to cut properly. I'm out of gas too so I need to make that gas station run but I don't like to drive around with the gas can b/c of fumes, so I need to come home after work, get the can and go back out again.

Of course we could always move to a condo....LOL (not yet, not yet but someday maybe....)
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2 Postby HURAKAN » Tue May 05, 2009 8:34 am

Here in South Florida it has been extremely dry, so cutting the lawn can be extended to even once a month.
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby Pburgh » Tue May 05, 2009 8:35 am

Oh Mary - I'm your worst nightmare. Type A, that's me. I love gardening and am in my yard constantly pruning, planting and generally trying to make everything beautiful. Sorry

I have a great guy who cuts my grass for me. He keeps it at 3" this time of year and like you I'm having it cut every
5-6 days. I did have to do a little re-seeding this Spring and lost quite a few perennials over the winter. I've already planted the replacement perennials and can't wait to go to the store and buy my annuals.

There's nothing better than sitting on my porch and relaxing after a day of working in the yard. Of course I have my glass of chardonnay or maybe a glass of lemonade spiked with raspberry vodka. LOL
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#4 Postby JonathanBelles » Tue May 05, 2009 9:06 am

During our rainy season, I will be there with ya. Ill be mowing every 2-3 days at the peak of the problem. Right now is once every 6 weeks because its so dry.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

Re: Who's cutting their lawn twice a week?

#5 Postby Dionne » Fri May 08, 2009 7:01 am

I have chosen to opt out of the lawn mowing competition with our neighbors. I now mow every 2nd week. My efforts are focused on the vegetable garden......and I am a bit obsessive.....I'm usually in the garden every afternoon. We are currently harvesting English peas, Texas sweet onions, potatoes, collards and several types of lettuce. Tomato plants looking real good......lots of green 'maters growing. The rains have been good to us.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#6 Postby Miss Mary » Fri May 08, 2009 9:43 am

Dionne - LOL! I opted out last year, out of support of high gas prices. LOL And well these neighbors seem too obsessed with their lawns. But this year I just want to keep my lawn from going to seed in between cuttings. That's my goal. The one family barely gets home from an out of town trip and the husband is out firing up the mower. Before unloading the car or petting the dog (they have a pet sitter stay while away). If that were me I'd still be petting my dog, an hour later! Forget that grass......LOL But anyway, it's fun at times to watch all of this with amusement......Karan - your yard does sound nice indeed. And when you do get into a set routine, it's probably easier to pull off than mine is (sporadic, not set......LOL). If I say any of this to my husband he usually says - well we could buy a condo! I'm just not ready to give up a yard......yet that is. Someday I say. But in the meantime, feel free to send "your guy" over Karan.....LOL!

Now one of my not so picky neighbors has a great idea I think - they have their lawn professionally edged and cut every 2 weeks. Then in between all they have to do is cut the grass. They do their own weeding but never have to edge the sidewalk, driveway, around landscaped areas, it's all done for them. She said she'd like to afford weekly cuttings but if they stretch it this way, they still don't have all that heavy duty edging to do themselves. I've watched this crew do the job too - it takes about 20 minutes, tops, a crew of 4 show up, and before you almost blink it's done. For 2 weeks again.

I'm not ready to hire this job out though......not yet anyways.

Has anyone watched those infomercials for the edger called the GT Force or something like that? It looks so easy to use! I just wonder if it's worth the money......
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby brunota2003 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:15 pm

And if it is that easy to use, as they claim, too? xD

Had to cut the grass yesterday, 4 guys for quite an expanse of area. Took all of our work day, which I'm not complaining about...thankfully it was barely warm, like 75ish.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#8 Postby CajunMama » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:11 pm

We've been so dry lately that we're only having to mow every two weeks. The grass just isn't growing and i don't water that much when it's dry. Your yard only needs 1" of water a week and i haven't even been doing that.
0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Category 5 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:39 am

I was cutting it once a week, then it dried up about mid summer, then it was every other week, now its been almost a month.
0 likes   
"GAME SET MATCH GIANTS WILL WIN THE NFC EAST and have a FIRST ROUND BYE with a win next week!!!" - StormingB81, the Giants lost, and did not win the NFC east.

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby Pburgh » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:56 am

I'm so over my lawn. :cry: It's been so dry here that my lawn is partially brown. My flower gardens looked good this year but the lawn sucked. It gets mown about every two weeks now. :roll:
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:20 am

Twice a month right now....should start to deminish as fall ( wherever that might be) comes closer...
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby angelwing » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:48 am

We made settlement on a new home on 9/20 and we have been moving the lawn once a week since then...now this Saturday it will be mow and I am hoping that the mower takes care of the leaves, we have a half acre and oh my goodness, it's full of leaves all over! Going to need some serious Blue Emu or Comfry oil I think by Saturday night, sigh
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”