Gardening Time!!!

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Gardening Time!!!

#21 Postby gigabite » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:27 pm

In the ground: Ferry~Morse
Corn: Sweet early sunflower hybrid
Onion: Spanish Yellow Utah Jumbo
Pepper: Jalapeño M
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#22 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:28 pm

gigabite wrote:In the ground: Ferry~Morse
Corn: Sweet early sunflower hybrid
Onion: Spanish Yellow Utah Jumbo
Pepper: Jalapeño M

Is Ferry~Morse a brand? Like your choices. If I planted a garden I think I would have to wait at least a few more weeks to be sure of no more frosts.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

SaskatchewanScreamer

#23 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:04 pm

*sigh* :cry:
0 likes   

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby gigabite » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:31 pm

vbhoutex wrote: Is Ferry~Morse a brand? Like your choices. If I planted a garden I think I would have to wait at least a few more weeks to be sure of no more frosts.

In the past I have tried seeds from providers I found using different search terms on the internet. Lately I have opted for local providers like Ace Hardware, Lowe’s, and Home Depot, because Collier County’s climate is unique. The Ferry ~ Morse product line is carried by Home Depot. The packaging looked fresh, so I went with them. My working hypothesis is that the collective wisdom of the corporate buyers is going to improve my yield.

Corn is my primary interest. The pepper and onion selections are complementary crops to protect the corn. This extra early variety (63 days) could give me five seasons.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#25 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:38 pm

:uarrow: oh sure really rub it in re *five* seasons. :cry: :cry: :cry:
0 likes   

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#26 Postby gigabite » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:03 pm

SaskatchewanScreamer wrote::uarrow: oh sure really rub it in re *five* seasons. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Paridise has it drawbacks. The lack of a freeze means bacteria never dies. Mercury from pre EPA regulations might be totally dispersed in a thousand years or so. Then there are the giant catapillers.
The early season corn on the cob in Publix now comes from Geogia. I know they don't have any 90 degree days in December. It might not be GMO corn, maybe it is grown in a green house. There are some varieties of heirloom Indian corn like "painted mountain corn" that you might be interested in to extend your season.
0 likes   

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#27 Postby gigabite » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:47 am

Corn is at ve with no sign of pest.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

Re: Re:

#28 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:38 pm

gigabite wrote:
SaskatchewanScreamer wrote::uarrow: oh sure really rub it in re *five* seasons. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Paridise has it drawbacks. The lack of a freeze means bacteria never dies. Mercury from pre EPA regulations might be totally dispersed in a thousand years or so. Then there are the giant catapillers.
The early season corn on the cob in Publix now comes from Geogia. I know they don't have any 90 degree days in December. It might not be GMO corn, maybe it is grown in a green house. There are some varieties of heirloom Indian corn like "painted mountain corn" that you might be interested in to extend your season.

Sorry I missed your reply Gigabite. :oops:

I forgot about plant viruses, bacteria, pests and diseases that warmer climes get. :S Yep winter does have its benefits but still is a heartbreaker for a gardener that loves growing tropicals. I'll check around for the corn thank you for the suggestion.... I like growing heirloom tomatoes so would love to try a new/old variety corn. :D BTW is it the one whose leaves/stalks are also multi coloured?

Today I did my regular scan of Canadian tropical plant suppliers (few and far between here) and put my order in:
Nerium Oleander Rose double pink
Monstera deliciosa
Bananier Musa 'Bordelon'
Brugmansia Super Pink :larrow: must remind my husband not to touch his eyes if he picks off any leaves (he ended up in the E.R. with huge pupils/scared silly a number of years ago. :( I think the local Dr's let Saskatchewan plant suppliers here know and they no longer carry Brugs so I really had to go far afield to find them).
Brugmansia Super spot
Canna 'Pink Sunburst'
Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Snow Queen'
Monstera Deliciosa 'variegata'
Colocasia Black Stem
Colocasia esculenta 'Jack's Giant'
Brugmansia SnowBank
Clerodendrum Ugandense "Blue Butterfly".........about 12 years ago I saw a picture of this one in a Floridians yard and fell deeply in love with this beauty. It took a number of years for me to find them in Canada (the arctic prairies weren't considered tropical territory :lol: and I was a newbie to online ordering)
1 plumeria (poor thing but I just love growing them)

On-line from a province far away I can get the above so much cheaper than what I'll find in the local greenhouses. Here they sell them full size and charge around $60.00 per plant and I'd have to visit almost every city in this province to track even 1/2 of them down. Online I can get decent sized plants that will bloom soon enough even in our short summer for about 1/5th the price.

And in Florida they grow like weeds (and multiply about as fast :cry: ) I also scanned Canadian suppliers for your cool air potato but no luck there. :(
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#29 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:38 am

re GMO seeds:

This has been discussed a number of times on DG, I'm not sure there is anymore to say...GMO seeds are not available to the home gardener. They are available to large farms. There is paperwork and such that comes with GMO seeds. You can buy seeds that come from places that have a safe seed pledge. GMO seeds are expensive so they aren't likely to be sold to the average gardener.

I can see where yields might be reduced in areas where GMO plants have been grown. If the plants, thus soil has been saturated with Round Up it doesn't seem odd that plants aren't happy growing there. You may want to do a search on DG. This subject has been discussed jillions of times.

February 20, 2013
07:08 AM

Agreed. and there are no round-up ready vegetable seed. Only GMO's on the market are Bt Sweet corn which is not available to home gardeners. There are many restrictions and lots of paper work in both cases. At present only Syngenta offers it altho other companies are coming into the business. It will have names like BC 0822, GH0851, WH 0809 etc. Syngenta's trademark for that gene is Attribute
0 likes   

Gufler
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#30 Postby Gufler » Thu May 02, 2013 10:00 pm

I'm in Central Florida and I have my Veggies in the ground now.
I have...
Better Boy Tomatoes
Roma Tomatoes
Cherry Tomatoes
Assorted different kinds of Hot peppers
and Snow Peas.

All seem to be doing good right now.
0 likes   

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter