Recipes to Share!

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#121 Postby CajunMama » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:43 pm

JenBayles wrote:I like Paula's recipes, but I gotta tell ya, that woman just grates on my last nerve! :lol:

What are "Y'ALL" talking about, y'all? :lol:
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#122 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:47 pm

Jen - she annoys me too. I much prefer Rachael Ray. And my favorite chef of all time, hands down, is Jamie Oliver. The original Naked Chef......he's so enthusiastic!

Told my family about the green bean recipe CM and they said I should try out a few on them. I buy bacon about once a year and we recently had breakfast for dinner. French toast with bacon. My youngest daughter was drooling, she said how odd I am we only eat it once or twice a year. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't seem very healthy to me.....so if I try this recipe out, I'll be buying bacon a second time in one week. She'll die! I have one daughter who's a vegetarian and one who will be eating a lot of bacon this week.....LOL

My only comment is I could blanch them, arranging the bundles on the roasting pan, with the oven preheating while I'm at the first course. But while they roast, I need to be home. This type party is so much fun, I just hate to go home for long.

I'll figure it out somehow......I could have one of my girls roast them! Ah, but I think they're both babysitting for neighbors.

Mary
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#123 Postby Pburgh » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:57 pm

I bet you could have them almost completely cooked before you leave and when you get back to your house turn the broiler on low to finish them up in 5 minutes!!!!
0 likes   

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

#124 Postby JenBayles » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:41 pm

CajunMama wrote:
JenBayles wrote:I like Paula's recipes, but I gotta tell ya, that woman just grates on my last nerve! :lol:

What are "Y'ALL" talking about, y'all? :lol:

UGH!!! And the way she's always dragging "Maaaaahhhchael" in and threatening him unless he drools all over her food... and her! What a total flake - women like her are why good Southern women like us get stereotyped. Hmmmph!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#125 Postby Pburgh » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:42 pm

I like her!! She's had a rough life and made the best of it
and I guess I can relate to that.
0 likes   

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

#126 Postby JenBayles » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:46 pm

Miss Mary - you don't even need to use all the bacon in most recipes that call for it as a flavoring agent. You might gag at this, but even just a teaspoon or so of bacon grease added to a veggie dish gives you the flavor without all the calories. Let the girls eat the bacon - sounds like they'l love it! For me, I think bacon is it's own food group - just wish I could eat more of it! :lol:

I LOVE having breakfast for dinner! My mom used to do that in the winter months - sausage, bacon and waffles. We all loved it. I started doing that myself once I got married, and many times Dave will ask for a breakfast-dinner. Why not? How many times have we all hit Denny's or Waffle House after an all-nighter? Makes perfect sense to me. :cheesy:
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#127 Postby alicia-w » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:45 pm

i love Paula. i've met her at her restaurant and she is the sweetest lady ever. the quintessential southern lady.

rachael ray is getting on my nerves. most of her recipes are things you can pull of a food carton. very little inspiration. and she's too darn spunky for me.

i still think anthony bourdain is the living end and the dilaurentis gal is pretty top notch (pretty too!)
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#128 Postby Miss Mary » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:07 am

CM - I thank you for that recipe and I will try it, very soon. My family thinks it sounds very good. And for vegetarians, you could substitute carrot curls for the bacon.

That said, I kept searching Food Network's website for just one more option and I found this one. Hubby kept asking for a spinach casserole. It begins in a similar way to my frozen chopped brocolli one, but this recipe calls for artichokes, fresh mushrooms, 4 types of cheese, etc. So I'm going to try it. Best part is it can bake while I'm at the appetizer course. The main course is 2 houses from mine so I'll swing by and just pick it up!

Thanks anyway though - Paula's recipe sounds delicious!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes ... src=search

Mary

PS - *edit* I made the spinach/mushroom/artichoke veg casserole. Doubling it, glad I didn't triple it! One recipe yields 10-12, which is more like 15, IMO. Anyway, I did a small test run batch, baked in our toaster oven, for one daughter. She gave it her seal of approval, before the dinner party started. Everyone said it was good. Although I must admit as I was mixing it together, long before it made it to the two buttered casseroles, it resembled more of a dip than a vegetable casserole. But after tasting it, it wasn't a dip.

The green bean recipe would have worked well CM, in hindsight. The main course house wanted sides in smaller dishes, so each table had family style serving. We didn't even eat for 30 minutes after arriving. If I had had my green beans ready, I know she would have popped them in her oven for 15 minutes. Oh well......
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#129 Postby Miss Mary » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:01 pm

Caramel Popcorn recipe tip for those that make it:

I pre-stir the just prepared caramel sauce and popcorn, before I transfer it all to 2 greased cookie sheets. I've made two batches this way and it works great. I got the idea from a Food Network segment on Chicago style popcorn (they stir their popcorn in huge stainless kettles using paddles until the caramel is evenly distributed). I just divided the 5 quarts between two deep pots - one is a stainless soup pot, the other stainless mixing bowl (largest size out of 5 assorted sizes). I greased the cookie sheets and got them ready, popped the porcorn, greased the two deep pots, transferred the popcorn to each. When the caramel sauce reaches the critical stage, I poured it over the popcorn, basically eyeballing and dividing the sauce amount. I then stirred the sauce into the popcorn until it all looked coated. Then it got transferred to the cookie sheets. I still stirred it 3 or 4 times for the one hour baking time. My family gave their two thumbs up approval. They said it's better this way. You use more pans/pots this way but it's worth it.

Just thought I'd share this idea/tip.

Mary
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#130 Postby CajunMama » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:05 pm

CajunMama wrote:What about green beans? I saw this recipe on the food network just this past weekend and it looked absolutely delicious.

Green Bean Bundles Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
See this recipe on air Friday Dec. 15 at 10:00 PM ET/PT.

Show: Food Network Specials
Episode: Paula's Southern Christmas

1 pound fresh green beans
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Bacon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Blanch green beans for 3 minutes. Toss them in olive oil and salt and pepper. Bundle about 5 green beans and wrap a piece of bacon around the bundle. Place in a roasting pan and roast for 10 to 15 minutes, until bacon is cooked.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes ... 19,00.html

I finally made these tonight. They were delicious. I veered from the recipe just a little bit. After blanching the green beans i sauteed them in EVOO, salt & pepper and minced garlic. Then i wrapped them in the bacon.

I almost liked them just sauteed better.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#131 Postby Miss Mary » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:17 am

Sounds good CM. I have yet to try this recipe, but you just reminded me. I'll archive it away and try it soon. Next time we have company over.....
0 likes   

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

#132 Postby JenBayles » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:34 pm

After surviving the 13-course dinner on New Year's Eve, I've been pressed into doing another dinner party on March 3. And no, it will NOT be 13 courses this time! :lol:

Who knew a bunch of bikers would so enjoy a formal dining experience? Anyway, I'm looking for a good entree that isn't the usual roast-beef type of thing. Anyone have any suggestions?
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#133 Postby Pburgh » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:34 pm

Did you want fish, pork, beef or what did you have in mind?
0 likes   

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

#134 Postby JenBayles » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:01 pm

Something other than a beef roast since that's we did a crown rib roast last time. Just looking for something different. Maybe I'll take it easy on myself and try one of those Honey Baked hams... ??
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#135 Postby Miss Mary » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:47 pm

Jen - I actually prefer the Honey Baked Ham's store honey basted turkey breast. It is so good! We hosted a large HS graduation party for my oldest daughter 2 years ago. I bought 3 of the turkey breasts. Everyone raved about them! And we had leftovers too....you and Dave could just buy one soon, the smallest size they have and try one. Or I believe you can just order to go sandwiches (to taste it first). I'm sure this is one of their most popular items (turkey). After the ham, of course.
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#136 Postby Pburgh » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:08 am

How about a Italian wedding soup, a big lasagna, meat balls, tossed salad, garlic toast and a great tiaramisu for desert????? Oh I forgot about lots of Chianti!!!!
0 likes   

pojo
Military Member
Military Member

#137 Postby pojo » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:20 pm

JenBayles wrote:After surviving the 13-course dinner on New Year's Eve, I've been pressed into doing another dinner party on March 3. And no, it will NOT be 13 courses this time! :lol:

Who knew a bunch of bikers would so enjoy a formal dining experience? Anyway, I'm looking for a good entree that isn't the usual roast-beef type of thing. Anyone have any suggestions?

13 course dinner? You have got to be kidding. That would be called the 'garbage can'
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#138 Postby Miss Mary » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:40 am

She is not kidding pojo! Jen sent me the pics to prove it. A lovely formal table setting, pics of the food - I was in awe someone could pull this off!
0 likes   

pojo
Military Member
Military Member

#139 Postby pojo » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:04 pm

That is unbelievable.... 13 courses. I'd be eating that for days! (Actually, my step-grandmother is really good at feeding an army literally....)
0 likes   

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

#140 Postby JenBayles » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:48 pm

Thanks for the backup Mary! Yeah pojo, I really did it, and still can't quite believe it even now. Just gotta remember that the more courses you have, the daintier the individual courses need to be. As long as you have enough flatware and dishes, it really isn't that bad. A little bit of military-style organization goes a long way when tackling a dinner of that magnitude though! :-)

Pburgh - I like the Italian dinner idea, and I think that's what we'll do for the next one. And yes, everyone is already calling and emailing wanting to know when we're going to do it yet again. Yikes! What have I gotten myself into!
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”