Recipes to Share!

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Miss Mary

#81 Postby Miss Mary » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:48 pm

I'm hooked on Knorr's bouillon cubes. They even have a fish flavor but their best, is the vegetable one.

I'm also hooked on the small 8 oz cartons of chicken or vegetable stock. Can't recall the brand name right now, but they're in the soup aisle. They also add great flavor to soups, stews, casseroles.

Mary
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#82 Postby sunny » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:36 pm

Frank’s Eggplant Shrimp Casserole

Diced squares of tender eggplant, a pile of fresh Louisiana shrimp, and all the spices that make it truly and authentically New Orleans, this dish has always been a tradition in the Crescent City. So when's the last time you put a piping hot pan of it on your table?

Ingredients:
3 large purple or 5 medium pink eggplants
1 stick margarine or butter
1 cup onions, finely diced
¾ cup celery, finely diced
½ cup bell pepper, finely diced
¼ cup parsley, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 lbs. medium shrimp, peeled and chopped
5 cups bread crumbs, wheat or white
½ tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil leaves
1-1/2 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
½ tsp. coarse ground

Instructions:
The first thing you do is take the eggplants (whole and unpeeled) and wrap each one individually in a sheet of aluminum foil. Then place them in the center rack of a 350 degree preheated oven and bake them for about 45 minutes or until an ice pick easily pierces them through and through. When they're soft and tender, set them aside to cool for a while.

Then, when you're ready to begin assembling the casserole, take a 4 quart Dutch oven, place in on the stove top over medium heat, melt down the stick of margarine or butter, drip in the onions, celery, bell pepper, parsley and garlic, and cook them until they soften and wilt (which should take about 6 minutes, stirring constantly).

In the meantime, remove the eggplants from the foil and peel off the outer skin-if you baked them long enough the outer skin should come off as easily as wrapping paper; if you didn't bake them long enough you will probably have to scrape the pulp out of the skin. Either way, when the vegetable is peeled, discard the skin, chop the eggplant pulp into small pieces, and place it (along with the liquids that run from the eggplant as you chop it) into the Dutch oven. Then, over a medium heat, thoroughly fold the eggplant into the seasoning vegetables and simmer the mixture for about 5 to 10 minutes or so.

When this has been done, drop in the shrimp (if you have to use large shrimp, it is best to chop them into smaller pieces before adding them to the pot) and cook them with the eggplant for another 5 minutes. Make a note here that additional liquids will exude from the shrimp at this point, but don't worry about it. It's supposed to happen. The bread will absorb the excess liquid later. Oh-and this is also the time in the recipe that you should stir in the seasonings, either the individual spices or a preblended mix.

Finally, turn off the fire and begin folding in the bread. Notice I didn't say to add 5 cups, because you might not need all 5 cups. Actually, you should use only as much as necessary to make the dressing moist-not sticky and pasty, but not runny either. This is the trick to creating a good casserole. Then when the bread has been added and the consistency is the way you want it, evenly fold in the red and black pepper along with the Parmesan cheese. Then taste the mixture one final time and readjust the seasonings, if necessary.

All that's left now is to transfer the mixture from the Dutch oven to a buttered Pyrex baking dish, cover it lightly with a layer of the French bread crumbs, top the crumbs with a generous helping of the mozzarella cheese, and slide the dish uncovered into a 350 degree oven for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until the casserole is gold brown, hot, and bubbly! This is best served right from the oven, sprinkled with a little extra Parmesan cheese and accompanied by a cold, crisp green salad.

Chefs Notes:

1. You can use either butter or margarine in this dish. The margarine significantly reduces the cholesterol, but butter give the finished dish a more intense, richer taste.

2. If you prefer not to use all the individual spices in this recipe, such as the oregano, thyme, and basil, you can eliminate then simply by adding 1 tsp. Frank Davis Sicilian Seasoning and 1 tsp. Frank Davis Seafood Seasoning.

3. If you prefer to make the casserole the traditional Sicilian way, using Italian sausage instead of shrimp, just substitute sausage for shrimp and cook it in the Dutch oven before adding the eggplant instead of after adding the eggplant.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#83 Postby CajunMama » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:54 pm

I'm drooling already sunny! That recipe sounds delicious. I think i'll surprise my inlaws with it...they'll love it.

This thread is one of my favorites...i've printed out many recipes and enjoyed them all!
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#84 Postby sunny » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:57 pm

CajunMama wrote:I'm drooling already sunny! That recipe sounds delicious. I think i'll surprise my inlaws with it...they'll love it.

It is SO good, CajunMama!! You can also use Mirletons (did I spell that right?!).

I'm getting ready to post the cheese cake with pecan praline sauce recipe. I had to get permission! The person that gave it to me made me promise not to share it. BUT, they lost their copy in the flood, and I had a copy, so they said "okay".
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#85 Postby sunny » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:02 pm

Cheese Cake

1-cup graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoon sugar
3-tablespoon butter melted
5 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese (softened)
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling

Mix crumbs 3-tablespoon sugar and butter, press onto the bottom of a 9” spring form pan, bake 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Mix cream cheese, 1-cup sugar, flour and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time mixing on low speed after each addition, just until well blended. Blend in sour cream and pour over crust.

Bake 1 hour and 5 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes. Run a small knife around the rim of the pan to loosen cake. Cool before removing rim of pan. Refrigerate 4 hours or over night. Top with cherry pie filling just before serving.

Notes:
Watch you time close. At 1 hour 5 minutes, stick the center with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, it’s done, if not, check every 3 minutes or so. You can add chopped pecans to the crust for added flavor.

Pecan Praline Sauce
Makes about 1 ¾ cups sauce.
1 cup packed golden brown sugar
7 tablespoons unsalted butter
7 tablespoons water
2 eggs, well beaten
½ cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a heavy, medium saucepan over moderate heat, combine the sugar, butter and water.
Bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally.

In a medium bowl, whisk the hot syrup into the eggs. Return the mixture to the pan, set over low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. 1 to 2 minutes.

Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Stir in the pecans and vanilla. Use at room temperature.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#86 Postby CajunMama » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:49 pm

I'm gaining weight just by reading this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#87 Postby CajunMama » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:33 pm

Baked Rice Dressing

1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 can French Onion Soup
1 small can sliced mushrooms
1 1/2 to 2 lbs. of ground beef
1 medium onion chopped
1 medium bell pepper chopped
1 1/4 cup of raw rice
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon or 2 cubes
season to taste

Mix all the ingredients together in a heavy pot. Cover with a heavy lid and back at 350° for about 1 1/2 hours. Stir only once or twice during baking. Serves 10 to 12.

***I cook my ground beef, onions and bell pepper first. I don't like big chunks of meat so my ground beef is crumbly.

***I use this as a main meal it's that good!
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#88 Postby JonathanBelles » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:50 pm

handmade Mcflurry:

some milk (i just put in as much as i want)
vanilla ice cream (3-4 times as much milk or as much as you want)
candy, ive used oreos, butterfingers, m&ms, reece's. what ever you want to use
blend this up in a blender and freeze for an hour or so and enjoy

very easy to make
0 likes   

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

#89 Postby JenBayles » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:46 pm

Miss Mary wrote:I'm hooked on Knorr's bouillon cubes. They even have a fish flavor but their best, is the vegetable one.

I'm also hooked on the small 8 oz cartons of chicken or vegetable stock. Can't recall the brand name right now, but they're in the soup aisle. They also add great flavor to soups, stews, casseroles.

Mary

I'm hooked on making my own stock. Since a little goes a long way in recipes other than soups, I freeze it small containers and and put 'em in the nuker to defrost. Ice cube trays work really well too.
0 likes   

pojo
Military Member
Military Member

#90 Postby pojo » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:12 pm

Here is one of the family favorites!

Prego Skillet Chicken Parmesan
1/4 cup grate parmesan cheese
1 1.2 cups Prego Traditional or Organic Tomato & Basil Italian Sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 lb skinless boneless Chicken Breast halves (4 to 6 halves)
1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (6 oz)

1. Stir 3 tbsp Parmesan Cheese into pasta sauce
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook 10 minutes or until browned
3. Pour sauce mixture over chicken. Cover. Cook over medium heat 10 min. or until chicken is no longer pink
4. Top with mozzarella and remaining Parmesan. Let stand 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Serves 6.

(We serve it over Rotini with a side of Garlic Bread.)
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#91 Postby Miss Mary » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:47 am

Pojo - that sounds so easy. Thanks. I think I'll print your recipe and try it this week.
0 likes   

BreinLa
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#92 Postby BreinLa » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:53 am

Oh Kathy I am gonna make that rice dressing this weekend yummmmy
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#93 Postby Lindaloo » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:55 pm

Okay Miss Cajun Kathy, is it hot? lol. If it is, which ingredient can I leave out so I can at least enjoy eating it? lol.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#94 Postby CajunMama » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:57 pm

oh no, not hot at all. It tastes alot like stuffed bell peppers without a sauce. Now i add more bellpeppers than the recipe calls for!
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#95 Postby Pburgh » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:47 pm

I asked for a Jambalya recipe and Sunny gave this to me. I made it over the weekend and it is out of this world. I cheated a little a bought fish stock from the store.
sunny wrote:Okay, here you go. It's work, but WELL WORTH the effort :D

Chicken and Seafood Jambalaya

Basic Seafood Stock

2 quarts of water
1 medium onion, unpeeled and quartered
1 large clove garlic, unpeeled and quartered
1 rib celery
1 cap of seafood liquor

Always start with cold water – enough to cover the other stock ingredients. Place all ingredients in a stock pot or a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then gently simmer at least 4 hours, replenishing the water as needed to keep about 1 quart of liquid in the pan. The pot may be uncovered or set a lid on it askew. Strain, cool and refrigerate until ready to use. (NOTE: Remember that if you are short on time, using a stock simmered 20 to 30 minutes is far better than using just water in any recipe).

Chicken and Seafood Jambalaya

Makes 4 main-dish servings

Seasoning mix:
2 whole bay leaves
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 ½ teaspoons ground red pepper (preferably cayenne)
1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano leaves
1 ¼ teaspoons white pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
¾ teaspoon dried thyme leaves

2 ½ tablespoons cooking oil
½ cup andouille or smoked sausage, about 3 ounces
1 ½ cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped celery
¾ cup chopped green bell peppers
½ cup chicken, cut into bite-size pieces, about 3 ounces
1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
4 medium sized tomatoes, peeled and chipped, about 1 pound
¾ cup canned tomato sauce
2 cups Basic Seafood Stock
½ cup chopped green onions
2 cups uncooked rice (preferably converted)
½ pound peeled medium shrimp
1 ½ dozen oysters in their liquor, about 10 ounces

Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

In a 4-quart saucepan, Heat the cooking oil, and the tasso and sausage and sauté’ until crisp, about 5 – 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the onions, celery and bell peppers, sauté’ until tender but still firm, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and scrapping pan bottom well. Add the chicken. Raise heat and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Add the seasoning mix and minced garlic; cook about 3 minutes, stirring constantly and scraping pan bottom as needed. Add the tomatoes and cook until chicken is tender, about 5-8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the tomato sauce; cook 7 minutes, stirring fairly often. Stir in the stock and bring to a boil. Then stir in the green onions and cook about 2 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add the rice, shrimp and oysters; stir well and remove from heat. Transfer to an ungreased 8x8 inch baking pan. Cover pan snuggly with aluminum foil and back at 350 degrees until rice is tender. Remove bay leaves and serve.
0 likes   

pojo
Military Member
Military Member

#96 Postby pojo » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:07 pm

you guys are making me hungry!
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#97 Postby Miss Mary » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:21 am

What we all need to do it print this entire topic's pages and take them to the grocery store! LOL

Here's one of my faves, that I've made at least 3x. It's from one of Rachael Ray's 30 minute meal cookbooks.

My Friend Frank's Favorite Chicken

2 or 3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 large bulb fennel, halved, then thinly sliced [I prefer 2 bulbs, I like the crunchy taste]
1 medium Spanish onion, sliced into strips, lengthwise
A handful of golden raisins (about 1/4 cup, packed)
1 can (14 oz) no-fat, low sodium chicken broth
A handful of chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
Toasted pine nuts to garnish

Rub the balsamic vinegar into chicken to tenderize it. Set aside. [I cut my chicken into strips, they seem to cook more evenly this way].

Heat a skilled over medium-high heat. Go twice around the pan with olive oil. Cook whole chicken breasts 5 minutes each side [or 2 min. each side if cut into strips] and remove from pan. Set aside. Add fennel and onion. Cook, shaking pan every so often, until onion begins to carmelize (sweeten or turn caramel-golden in color), about 5 minutes. Leave scrapings, they add extra flavor. Return chicken to pan. Add raisins, broth, parsley, salt and pepper. Heat through [I lower temp and cover for 5 minutes]. Pour dish out onto a serving platter, with some of the broth, and garnish with pine nuts.

Side recommendations: steamed rice, tossed salad and crusty bread.

Serves 4.

I didn't know what fennel was until I made this recipe! The bulb and stalks are white, they look similar to celery, but with green fuzzy tips. You just slice the bulb, after removing the outer layer.
http://www.fotosearch.com/ICN199/f0011454/

The taste is similar to black licorice but it's mild, not heavy or spicy. My family likes it. You could substitute red onion for the spanish onion also. The yellow raisins and pine nuts add a nice touch. Don't skip them. My daughter doesn't care for the pine nuts. I usually put them aside and each person can add them.

Enjoy!

Mary
0 likes   

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

#98 Postby JenBayles » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:17 pm

I'm thinkin' we need our own S2K Cookbook, with a special section for long-lasting, storm-worthy, no-electricity-for-a-couple-weeks recipes. Like "How to Make Canned Hash Taste Good - Really!" :lol:
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#99 Postby Miss Mary » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:47 pm

Now there's a thought!
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#100 Postby southerngale » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:33 pm

BreinLa wrote:Oh Kathy I am gonna make that rice dressing this weekend yummmmy

I bought the few ingredients I didn't have last night, and I'll be making it soon too. :)
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”