Vegetable Soup Recipe!

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Miss Mary

#21 Postby Miss Mary » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:55 pm

Bump.....I've already made two batches of this soup this Fall. My daughter Laura loves it. She said I can make it every week last time she ate it! I never have to pitch it.

If anyone is looking for a good vegetable soup recipe, try this one. I have changed the printed recipe from the back of the Kroger Brand Vegetable Broth can but even if you followed it, instead of my version, I'm sure it would be great.

We don't even miss the meat!

Mary
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby Pburgh » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:20 am

Mary, this sounds just like my homemade veggie soup recipe. I've used V-8 for many years. I used to use tomato juice. Now I use the spicy V-8 juice or add a bit of hot sauce. I don't use parsnip but am going to try it. I use a package of frozen mixed vegetables and dice and saute some sirloin tip roast. YUMMY
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#23 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:10 am

Karan - there is just something about this recipe. Maybe it's the V-8 juice or maybe the Knorr's vegetable bouillon cubes. Whatever it is, just the broth alone tastes so good.

I don't use parsnips though. Maybe you misunderstood. I add 2 Turnips, chopped up. They seem to add a certain flavor too.

Mary
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby Pburgh » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:55 am

I have never cooked a turnip in my life!!!! I just realized that.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#25 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:56 pm

Karan - LOL!!!!

My next question is - do you know what one is? LOL

My mom had a garden growing up and she would slice them raw. We'd eat them with our dinner, which is odd. But that was her way. You can add a few to mashed potatoes if you're low on them.

Mary
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby Pburgh » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:08 pm

Aren't they the size of a baseball, white with kinda purple tinge on the top and taste something like a radish???
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#27 Postby O Town » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:02 pm

It is the bulb of a turnip green. The size is somewhere between a baseball and a golf ball. Taste more like a potatoe that anything. My grandma always grew them and cooked the 2 together, the greens and the turnip. Never had them raw though. We used to pick the greens from the garden and eat those raw. :lol: Anyway you should try them. They are great in a soup. :D Both the greens and the turnip are good in soup.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#28 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:55 pm

Now I never thought to look for the greens and the bulb. I think I will! Sounds like the greens would add flavor even if you just pitch them before you eat the soup.

The turnips I see are about the size of potatoes, with the skin turning purple where they cut the tops off. Similar to how a potato turns brown, a turnip must turn purple? Something like that....you can stretch mashed potatoes by adding turnips to the pot.

Mary
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”