Soup recipes

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

Soup recipes

#1 Postby sunny » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:27 am

Anyone up for sharing some good soup recipes? Chicken noodle, beef vegetable.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#2 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:06 am

This is my family's current favorite soup recipe. I've made it so often you'd think they would tire of it, but so far they haven't! We have a friend going in for an angiopasty this Friday. I'm thinking of making him a batch for next week when he's home.

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=55235

A few months ago, I made 4 cups of Knorr's Vegetable Broth (bouillion cubes). Diced up some red potatoes, with the skin on. Added a stalk or two of sliced celery, a tablespoon of diced red onions. A few shakes of herbs (probably Basil and Parsley) and a bay leaf. Brought it all to a boil, then simmered it for a while. Pureed part of it, to thicken the soup. I might have added a cup of frozen white corn near the end....can't quite remember. I remember I added milk to make it creamier, near the end (half and half would be good too). All I know is when I served this throw together soup, my family loved it. And I didn't write any of it down! I made it intentionally vegetarian since my oldest daughter is one.

I use Knorr's Veg Broth Bouillon cubes a lot now. Tons of flavor packed into every one. A good base for any soup I'd imagine!

Use your imagination sunny and you could come up with your own recipe.

Mary
Last edited by Miss Mary on Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby sunny » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:08 am

Good deal - thank you!
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#4 Postby CajunMama » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:13 pm

TACO BEAN SOUP

Saute: 2 lbs. ground beef
1 large onion

Add: 1 can of corn (drained
1 can of Ranch style beans
1 can of Navy Beans
1 can of Pinto Beans
2 cans Rotel tomatoes
2 cans of water
3 Beef bouillon cubes

Stir in: 1 pkg. taco mix
2 pkgs. Ranch Dressing mix

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 to 1 ½ hours
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#5 Postby CajunMama » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:17 pm

Broccoli Cheese Soup

1 small onion
1/2 stick of butter/oleo
1 bag of frozen broccoli
1 can chicken broth
1 lb. Mexican Velveeta
1/2 & 1/2

Saute onion in butter. Add chicken broth and broccoli. Cook broccoli down until it's very soft. Mash with a fork. Add up to 1 lb. of the Mexican Velveeta cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted. Add 1/2 & 1/2 to desired consistancy.
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby sunny » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:27 am

Thanks CajunMama - both of these soup good! Especially the Brocooli Cheese one! :D
0 likes   

weathermom
Category 2
Category 2

#7 Postby weathermom » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:20 am

Carrot and Ginger soup

1/4 cup butter
2 pounds carrots, sliced thin
2 lg onions, chopped
1 Tbsp minced ginger
2 tsp grated orange peel
1/2 tsp ground coriander
2 cups broth
3 cups broth
1 cup half and half
salt and pepper to taste
chopped fresh parsley to garnish

Cook carrots and onions in butter until they start to soften.

Add ginger, orange peel, coriander and 2 cups broth, simmer a while (until carrots are soft enough to puree), then puree. ( a hand held stick blender works best for this, but it can be done in any blender)

Add 3 cups broth,and half and half. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped parsley.

I use vegetable stock for this, but you could use chicken too I guess. I dont use the little cubes, they are too salty to use in this recipe. I tried it once and it was pretty gross! Also sometimes I leave out the half and half. It is good that way too.
0 likes   

depotoo
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby depotoo » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:37 pm

i cheat - just found the best stuff - and their broccoli chees soup is wonderful - it is called bear creek in a package like the lipton noodles . all it takes is water and a whip. really is wonderful. thick and creamy. yummm they have other flavors - beef vegetable, minestrone, etc. only takes 10 minutes.
0 likes   

isobar
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby isobar » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:17 pm

weathermom - That sounds awesome! I think I'll try it this week, since it looks like winter wx is back in the OV.
And I agree with you about the bouillon cubes. They are usually wicked salty and loaded with MSG. When I don't have homemade stock available, I use this paste stuff from Sam's - "Tone's Chicken Base" or Swanson's organic fat free broth in a can.
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby MSRobi911 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:12 am

I have a wonderful "Mock Crawfish Stew" receipe if anyone is interested. It is awfully long, just because there are a lot of cans of different soup involved, that's mostly what it is, soup and some liquid crab boil. I already have it posted in an IM here and can forward it to you if you are intersted. You don't have to use Crawfish, you can use shrimp and I ususally use the frozen ones, even though being on the coast I could use fresh ones, its just really convenient to use the smaller frozen ones since the ones you buy off the boats around here are too big and then you have to head them and peel them and I am lazy...hehehe.

Mary
0 likes   

DoctorHurricane2003

#11 Postby DoctorHurricane2003 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:59 pm

Oh do I love soup!...especially when I'm sick.

I recommend trying a few pre-packaged/restaurant products:

-Uncle Ben's Broccoli, Rice, and Cheese Soup
It takes patience to dissolve the mix, but once it's finished it is VERY delicious!! Will find in the rice/soup mix aisle.

-Knorr's Chicken Vegetable Soup
For a soup mix, this is VERY delicious! The broth is very succulent and its like a flavor explosion. Also found in the rice/soup mix aisle.

-Olive Garden Minestrone Soup
I love the flavor of the vegetables and pasta, plus the hint of wine. The soup is great if you add black pepper.

Other than prepackaged products, my favorite soup is Chicken Tortilla...there are many recipes out there, and its really hard to find a perfect one because they are all generally so good. You might see this in cans in stores, but the real thing is much better. With vegetable soups, with a tomato or beef base, I always add a LOT of black pepper...its my favorite accent....but not to chicken bases.
0 likes   

Skywatch_NC
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Skywatch_NC » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:26 pm

My Mom can make a great Salmon soup! :D

Will see if I can locate the recipe a little later today. :)

*UPDATE*

That locating of this particular recipe will have to wait for the time being. :wink:
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#13 Postby CajunMama » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:17 pm

Corn and Crab Soup

1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1/2 of a bell pepper chopped
1/2 stick of butter
salt/pepper
1 lb. claw crabmeat
4 cans chicken broth
4 cans cream corn
1 1/2 tbsp. flour
24 oz. evaporated milk

Saute onions & bell pepper in onion. Add salt & pepper & flour. Stir until blended. Add corn, broth & crabmeat. Cook over medium fire for 30 minutes. Add evaporated milk and simmer for 5 minutes.
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby MSRobi911 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:31 pm

Crawfish Stew (quick and easy)

1 stick butter/margarine
1 onion chopped
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 small can mushrooms (or more if you like)
2 cans potato soup
1 tbsp Tony Chachere's seasoning
1 tsp Liquid Crab Boil (try 1/2 first and taste...it can get strong!)
1 lb crawfish tails
1 lb shrimp, peeled
1 qt 1/2 and 1/2

Saute onion in butter, add crawfish tails and shrimp and continue cooking until water comes out and they turn pink. Add Tony's and other salt and pepper if you like.

Add all the cans of soup and corn and mushrooms and stir.

Add half of the 1/2 and 1/2 and continue stirring and then add more to desired thickness.....it gets thick with the half and half.

last add the crab boil...go easy, it is really strong and can overpower the dish easily, all you have to do is add more cans of soup to cut the taste....

Makes about a full 5 quart pot almost full. Let it simmer on the stove for a little while till it heats thoroughly....everything is already cooked, just have to get it hot!

My husband likes more corn and potatoes so I usually add another can of corn and potato soup and I like more mushrooms so I put a larger can of mushrooms. You can use fresh mushrooms if you have them and just slice.

You can only do 1/2 shrimp and 1/2 crawfish or just crawfish or just shrimp, it doesn't matter...what ever you want. The juice is the best part!

Mary
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”