Recipe Request

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DoctorHurricane2003

Recipe Request

#1 Postby DoctorHurricane2003 » Tue May 17, 2005 5:51 pm

Does anyone know any good recipes for Ropa Vieja (Cuban Shredded Steak Dish)? I had some from the airport restaurant after work yesterday and it was VERY good!! I know it has shredded steak, bell peppers, onion, garlic, and pimento in it...and I know its simmered in its own juices and spicy tomato sauce....but I don't know what the seasonings in it are... Any help would be appreciated, thanks! :)
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#2 Postby CajunMama » Tue May 17, 2005 10:49 pm

Doc...found this recipe on the internet

Ropa vieja means old clothes in Spanish. This meat is cooked, shredded like rags, then briefly cooked again which gives it the Spanish name. Remember that Cubans love peppers, both fiery ones and the green bell peppers.

INGREDIENTS

2 medium onions
2 pounds falda - (skirt steak) or flank steak
1 carrot, coarsely chopped
1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 ajecito chiles, minced
2 green bell peppers, chopped
1 cup fresh plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 cup parsley, chopped

METHOD

Quarter one of the two onions. Put in a 6 quart kettle with meat, carrot, celery and bay leaf. Cover with water by 2 inches. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Skim frequently.

When meat is very tender, remove from broth. Set aside. Discard vegetables and strain broth through a sieve. Return broth to heat, and boil to reduce by half, about 20 - 30 minutes. When meat is cool, cut off any fat and pull into shreds about 2 inches wide.

While broth is reducing, coarsely chop the second onion.

Heat oil in a large skillet. Over medium heat, ook onions, garlic, chiles and green peppers intil softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in 1 1/2 cups reduced broth and tomatoes. Cook for 15 - 20 minutes over medium heat. Stir in shredded meat, oregano, parsley and cumin. Cook 10 - 15 minutes more.

Serve with white rice.
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby alicia-w » Wed May 18, 2005 7:05 am

Here's another one:

To make Ropa Vieja, put a 2-1/2 pound flank steak, a carrot, onion, and celery stalk in a heavy pot and cover them with water. Bring it to a boil, reduce it to a simmer, and let it cook, covered, for an hour and a half or so. Remove it from the heat and let it cool. Take the meat from the pot and shred it with your hands or a couple of forks.

In a large frying pan, heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil and sauté a large diced onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, and a seeded, chopped green pepper until the onion is translucent. Add a couple of seeded and chopped green chiles (at the heat level of your preference), as well as 4 chopped, seeded tomatoes or 2 cups of canned tomatoes and perhaps a couple tablespoons of tomato paste. Add a cup or two of the stock in which you cooked the steak, and add the beef, as well. The consistency should be thicker than soup, but let the memory of your restaurant meal be your guide. Add a dash of cayenne pepper if you like. Let it simmer for five minutes. Ropa Vieja is generally served over rice and often garnished with baby peas and/or chopped pimientos.

To be authentic, you would really use a flavored oil instead of plain olive oil for sautéing. Cubans use oil that has been infused with achiote seeds.

If you have any Ropa Vieja leftovers, they will make a delicious sandwich on a crusty roll.
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#4 Postby Persepone » Sun May 22, 2005 8:31 pm

Alicia, that sounds delicious...

leftovers? do you ever have any at your house?
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby alicia-w » Mon May 23, 2005 9:40 am

we do have leftovers since it's kinda tough to cook for two or three. usually it's only enough for nick to have lunch the next day. that's good since i dont need all those containers breeding bacteria in my fridge.
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”