Thanksgiving recipe exchange

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

azsnowman
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Pinetop Arizona. Elevation 7102' (54 miles west of NM border)

Thanksgiving recipe exchange

#1 Postby azsnowman » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:38 pm

Wanna share a recipe with others or maybe TRY a new recipe this Thanksgiving? WELL.....here it IS 8-) I've got one I'd like to share.......let me know if'n y'alls want to!

Dennis
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby O Town » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:01 pm

Well, wheres the beef???
Sure, I would like to here your recipe.
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#3 Postby streetsoldier » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:32 pm

If it has anything to do with homemade caramel popcorn, count me in.
0 likes   

azsnowman
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby azsnowman » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:29 pm

streetsoldier wrote:If it has anything to do with homemade caramel popcorn, count me in.

LOL Bill......that's a Christmas recipe and believe me, your IN this year. I've bought OVER 15 POUNDS of bulk popcorn over the past 2 weeks, 20 lbs of brown sugar and 15 lbs of butter in anticipation of the GREAT CARAMEL CORN Extraviganza 8-)

Now.....here's a old family recipe that YES....was featured on The Weather Channel 3 years ago.

Tomato Shrimp Aspic

2 cans of small shrimp
2 cups of tomato juice
1 lrg. box of lemon Jello
1/2 tsp of lemon juice
1 bunch green onions, cleaned and diced
Salt and pepper to taste

Bring the 2 cups of tomato juice to a "low boil"......pour over the lemon Jello and stir until disolved. Stir in the shrimp and green onions, salt and pepper to taste. Cool at least 12 hours before serving.

This is an OLD recipe and it complements turkey like you wouldn't BELIEVE 8-)

Dennis 8-)
0 likes   

HurricaneGirl
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby HurricaneGirl » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:01 pm

I have an excellent Squash caserole recipe from the Lady and Sons Restaurant in Savanah if any one is interested, I'll post it when I get home and look it up in the cookbook.
0 likes   

arkess7
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby arkess7 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:20 pm

HurricaneGirl wrote:I have an excellent Squash caserole recipe from the Lady and Sons Restaurant in Savanah if any one is interested, I'll post it when I get home and look it up in the cookbook.

OOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhh ......Ive always wanted to go there!!!!!!!! I watch her on TV....Paula Dean.......My grandmother bought me one of her cookbooks a couple years back and she has a killer brocolli casserole reciepe in it too!!!!!! Have you eaten there HurricaneGirl? We stopped in Savanna a couple years back for a night on the way home from West Virginia.....didnt have time to find the Lady and Sons Restaurant though!!!! I heard its always crowded......wonder if you have to have reservations? or can ya just go and wait to get in?????? :D
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#7 Postby streetsoldier » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:22 pm

We have a Jell-O and marshmallow concoction that we call "Yak" (from one of my stepdaughter's boyfriends) that we make this time of year...it's good, but gooey, not "bouncy". I'll have to ask Debi to share the recipe for y'all.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#8 Postby CajunMama » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:22 pm

There's already some recipe threads in the Community Forum. I know AZ's caramel popcorn recipe is there and a bunch of others. Do a search for "recipe" in the Community Forum and you'll find the threads!
0 likes   

arkess7
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby arkess7 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:32 pm

CajunMama wrote:There's already some recipe threads in the Community Forum. I know AZ's caramel popcorn recipe is there and a bunch of others. Do a search for "recipe" in the Community Forum and you'll find the threads!

Your gumbo sounds AWESOME!!!!!!!

32.........AND ....just learned how 2 make rue....

i made my 1st chicken and shrimp gumbo....last winter
!! 8-)

and it was great!!! :lightning:

flour and oil
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#10 Postby Miss Mary » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:45 am

This is one dinner that is a cinch to make. No fancy dishes here.....this year my 10th Grade daughter Laura is making the entire dinner, with her dad's assistance. She needs cooking hours for her Nutrition class. So all I have to do is clean, iron a tablecloth, polish the silver (kidding), etc. And oh yeah, finish painting my dining room!!!! LOL

One thing I no longer do though is put the dressing in the turkey. That just flat-out grosses me out, in fact I can't stand to eat it in someone's home if it's been inside the bird. Ever since they recommended you stuff it right before it goes in the oven, I've never been able to trust other cooks follow this suggestion. And here, it does get made but is put into a casserole and heated before dinner.

Mary
0 likes   

HurricaneGirl
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby HurricaneGirl » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:13 am

arkess7 wrote:
HurricaneGirl wrote:I have an excellent Squash caserole recipe from the Lady and Sons Restaurant in Savanah if any one is interested, I'll post it when I get home and look it up in the cookbook.

OOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhh ......Ive always wanted to go there!!!!!!!! I watch her on TV....Paula Dean.......My grandmother bought me one of her cookbooks a couple years back and she has a killer brocolli casserole reciepe in it too!!!!!! Have you eaten there HurricaneGirl? We stopped in Savanna a couple years back for a night on the way home from West Virginia.....didnt have time to find the Lady and Sons Restaurant though!!!! I heard its always crowded......wonder if you have to have reservations? or can ya just go and wait to get in?????? :D

I lived in Savanah 1990 to 1992 and ate their several times..another place called Mrs. Wilkes is awesome as well... My brother Tommy got me 2 Lady and Sons Cookbooks as gifts in the past.. I will post the recipe for everyone in Community Forum later. :D
0 likes   

HurricaneGirl
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby HurricaneGirl » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:07 pm

0 likes   

Dee Bee
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Dee Bee » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:08 pm

Miss Mary wrote: One thing I no longer do though is put the dressing in the turkey. That just flat-out grosses me out, in fact I can't stand to eat it in someone's home if it's been inside the bird. Ever since they recommended you stuff it right before it goes in the oven, I've never been able to trust other cooks follow this suggestion. And here, it does get made but is put into a casserole and heated before dinner.

Mary

Same here, Mary. In fact, I'm going to try a recipe that I read in Southern Living for cornbread dressing in a crock pot. If it's good, I'll reprint it in the Community Forum. :P
0 likes   

HurricaneGirl
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby HurricaneGirl » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:39 pm

Squash Casserole

2 cups cooked mashed yellow squash (I like a more squash to cracker ratio, so I use less cracker crumbs and more squash)
2 cups Ritz Cracker crumbs
1 cup evaporated mile
1 cups shredded cheese, such as Cheddar or Swiss (I use both)
I cup chopped onion
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
Pinch of sugar
6 tablespoons butter

Place the squash in a large bow. Add the cracker crumbs, milk, cheese, and onion, stir well. Stir in the eggs, salt, pepper, sugar, and butter, and pour into a greased 1-quart casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Serves 4
0 likes   

azsnowman
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby azsnowman » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:48 pm

CajunMama wrote:There's already some recipe threads in the Community Forum. I know AZ's caramel popcorn recipe is there and a bunch of others. Do a search for "recipe" in the Community Forum and you'll find the threads!

OH YEAH HUH? "WELL DUH Dennis!" :lol: I shall move this thread over there then!

Dennis 8-)
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby breeze » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:10 pm

Well DUH! Here it is! LOL!

Mary, here's my Mama's tried - and - true Southern cornbread
dressing for the turkey. If anyone needs a recipe for the
CORNBREAD....well, just PM me! :wink:

Mama's Cornbread Dressing

12 cups crumbled cornbread
2 cups finely chopped celery
2 cups finely chopped onion
2 TBSP poultry seasoning OR sage
added to taste (sage is best)
Chicken or Turkey broth added to moisten
mixture as needed
Melted butter, 1 cup, add more to taste

Preheat oven at 300 degrees F.

Mix ingredients until moist.

Cook uncovered on 300 degrees F until browned.
0 likes   

arkess7
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby arkess7 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:24 pm

THanks!!! :D
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby brunota2003 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:16 pm

Here's one, havent tryed it yet for obvious reasons :wink:
Here is a turkey recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a stuffing -imagine that. When I found this recipe, I thought it was perfect for people like me, who just are not sure how to tell when poultry is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. Give this a try.

10-12 lb. Turkey
1 cup melted butter
1 bag stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is good.)
1 cup uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT) Salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush turkey well with melted butter, salt, and pepper. Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan with the neck end toward the back of the oven. Listen for the popping sounds.

When the turkey's a** blows the oven door open and the bird flies across the room, it's done.

And you thought I couldn't cook...

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food...
:lol: :lol:
0 likes   

arkess7
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby arkess7 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:59 pm

:fools: :roflmao: :uarrow: :uarrow:

OMG!!! That is hilarous!!!!!!!! :Chit: :A: :uarrow: :uarrow:
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”