Need cocktail mini hot dog or meatball recipe!

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Miss Mary

Need cocktail mini hot dog or meatball recipe!

#1 Postby Miss Mary » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:53 am

Does anyone have an easy but very popular and delicious cocktail weenie or meatball recipe? Also, not spicy.

My next door neighbor told me how easy they are to make. She uses mint jelly, some type of bourbon and mini meatballs you purchase frozen. Mix together, throw into a crockpot and voila, you have a good appetizer. But I don't know the exact recipe and she's working today. I'm about to hit the grocery this morning.

Just thought someone would have a good recipe.

Thanks.

Mary
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby O Town » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:41 am

I am making these meatballs for the Christmas Eve party at my moms.

1 big bag of meatballs
1 small jar of grape jelly
1 bottle of KC Masterpiece maple w/brown sugar.(use most of the bottle)

Add all the ingredients to a crock pot and let sit for a few hours. I would mix Jelly and b.b.q. before adding to meatballs. Usually they are seved out of the crockpot with toothpicks on the side, and the crockpot being left on low to keep them warm.

This will be the first time I have made them, but I have ate them many times before and they are really good. I would have never guessed there was jelly in them, but it comes out tasty. They don't taste like b.b.q. either. They are very addictive I can tell ya that. lol. Not sure about the mint jelly and burbon, never heard of that one, I am sure it is just a different spin on the above recipe.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#3 Postby Miss Mary » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:43 am

Grape jelly - that's it, not mint! LOL

Sounds close to the recipe my neighbor talked about. Although she added some type of liquor, I think bourbon!

I plan on serving these out of my crockpot too, with plates/napkins/toothpicks nearby. Wish I could set these up near other foods, but my tables are away from walls. I'll just plug these in, in my kitchen. People congregate there anyway!

Thanks OTown.

Mary
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby O Town » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:53 pm

Your welcome Mary. Going to get the whole 3 ingredients tomarrow, lol. That is how alot of the time I see meatballs anyways, in the kitchen away from other things, or like at one of my girls Christmas shows they had them on the counter bar next to the kitchen instead of on the tables with the majority of the other food was. Seems like everywhere I have been latley those meatballs are there. Wedding shower, A get together for my brother,Chirstmas party for my one daughter, and yet again at another Christmas party for the same daughter(must of been the same person makin them.) I fianlly got the recipe from my brothers sister in law, and wow they are easy. If you decide to make them let me know how they turn out and if you liked them. :D
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby breeze » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:19 pm

PIGS IN A BLANKET

Lil Smokie Sausages
Pillsbury Crescent Rolls

Cut each crescent roll square into 4 pieces, wrap
around sausage, cook according to crescent roll
package directions.

Serve with dipping sauces such as mustard,
ketchup, sweet & sour sauce or whatever you like.

These are sooooo tasty!
0 likes   

m_ru
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby m_ru » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:30 am

my favorite is to wrap the weenies in bacon and roll them around in brown sugar and cook them at 350 in the oven til the sugar is melted and the bacon is crisp.
SOOO GOOD.

AND SOOOOO FATTENING!!!!!!!!!
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#7 Postby Miss Mary » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:06 am

Hey thanks all for the ideas and recipes. Now I'm not messing with this type of appetizers. Hubby said if I was going to make anything hot, he would want chicken wings. Asking if they can be kept hot in a crock pot. I didn't know and since our party guests are all bringing appetizers, I'm not worrying about it.

But that is a good question - since I have a widespout removable crock pot, could I bake them in the oven and then transfer the crock to the crockpot base, on low to keep them warm? They wouldn't be in a single layer, but rather many layers. That's where I wasn't sure if this would work out.

I'm the type that doesn't want to be busy with the oven during a party. Unless it's a sit down dinner. If drinks and appetizers, my oven is off. I'm off duty on baking hot appetizers. People hang in your kitchen and you're constantly saying - excuse me......LOL

Mary
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby O Town » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:32 am

I don't see why you couldn't. Are the wings wet or dry? If they are dry wings they may become soggy, but if they are wet(the way I like them) then they would be okay, I would think. If you are ordering or buying them then ask for extra wing sauce to put on each layer, so they stay moist. Good idea Mary.
0 likes   

DoctorHurricane2003

#9 Postby DoctorHurricane2003 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:12 am

For cocktail weenies, I love the traditional throw them in the crock pot with bbq sauce and slow cook them and eat them with toothpicks! ;)
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby breeze » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:28 pm

:uarrow: That thar be a fine recipe, DocHurricane!

My friend does that one at every get-together, and, the
crockpot gets cleaned out!
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#11 Postby streetsoldier » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:21 pm

We used Italian frozen meatballs (80 count); defrosted them, then tossed them into a skillet full of B-B-Q sauce (Maull's), with a touch of honey and a pinch of garam marsala.

We let them warm on low for about an hour, then served them with port wine cheese balls and Town House crackers. It worked.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#12 Postby CajunMama » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:35 pm

1 jar of red current jelly
equal ounces of yellow mustard
little smokies or cut up hotdogs

Melt the jelly in a sauce pan. Add the mustard, stirring until mixed. Add little smokies or hotdogs and heat.

I like to let it cook awhile so that the sauce thickens up.
0 likes   

HurricaneGirl
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby HurricaneGirl » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:57 am

Whiskey Dogs - These are easy and delicious :D

1 c. brown sugar
1 (14 oz.) bottle ketchup
1 c. whiskey - I use Jack Daniels (2/3 cup)
Smokies or little hot dogs (cocktail wieners)

Stir first three ingredients in a small crock pot until sugar dissolves
Add hot dogs or weenies.. cook for several hours
serve with toothpicks
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”