Oyster Stew

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

HurricaneGirl
Category 5
Category 5

Oyster Stew

#1 Postby HurricaneGirl » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:40 pm

I am trying to impress my new beau. he's in town next week and am planning the menu for a nice dinner. he mentioned one time he likes Oyster Stew so i've been looking at recipes online trying to decide which one to use.

If anyone has made it before and has a fool proof recipe, please share it :D My mom used to make it for my dad when i was little but she used Campbell's as a base and added canned oysters and milk. :eek: ( I think i'll use half and half, regardless of the recipe ingredients).
0 likes   

GrimReaper
Category 1
Category 1

oysters

#2 Postby GrimReaper » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:04 am

Hey home girl:
I've got the BEST recipie... I tried several over the summer and mixed them together to get my special " retard can make oyster stew" recipie. I used fresh shucked oysters, but I'm sure you can use canned ones. I'll PM you the recipie.... with the added touch of a little regular, not cooking sherry... you'll make Paul Prudhomme, the Cajun dude, and Emeril look like hacks...LOL
-Grim
0 likes   

BreinLa
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#3 Postby BreinLa » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:28 pm

Okay Grimmy I want the rec. too please
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby O Town » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:27 pm

Just post it here, so we can all have dibs on it. :lol:
I have never made it or tasted it for that matter, but I love oysters and I am always willing to try something new. :D
0 likes   

HurricaneGirl
Category 5
Category 5

Re: oysters

#5 Postby HurricaneGirl » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:07 pm

GrimReaper wrote:Hey home girl:
I've got the BEST recipie... I tried several over the summer and mixed them together to get my special " retard can make oyster stew" recipie. I used fresh shucked oysters, but I'm sure you can use canned ones. I'll PM you the recipie.... with the added touch of a little regular, not cooking sherry... you'll make Paul Prudhomme, the Cajun dude, and Emeril look like hacks...LOL
-Grim
Awesome! I can't wait to try it... i owe you one GR!! :D 8-) I'll be looking for the recipie :) I have an aversion to canned oysters and plan on using some fresh ones, even if i have to crack them out myself! LOL
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby alicia-w » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:50 pm

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes Ready In: 35 Minutes
Yields: 4 servings

Add a drop or two of hot sauce to your bowl...

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup minced celery
3 tablespoons minced shallots
1 quart half-and-half cream
2 (12 ounce) containers fresh shucked oysters, undrained
salt and ground black pepper to
taste
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to
taste

DIRECTIONS:
1. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook the celery and shallots until shallots are tender.
2. Pour half-and-half into a large pot over medium-high heat. Mix in the butter, celery, and shallot mixture. Stir continuously. When the mixture is almost boiling, pour the oysters and their liquid into the pot. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir continuously until the oysters curl at the ends. When the oysters curl the stew is finished cooking; turn off the heat and serve.
0 likes   

HurricaneGirl
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby HurricaneGirl » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:13 am

:uarrow: Now that one sounds good Alicia! Even has the half n half instead of milk. :D
0 likes   

GrimReaper
Category 1
Category 1

yum

#8 Postby GrimReaper » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:17 pm

I forgot to bring it in to work with me... but that does sound similar, except for I use 100% heavy cream, and dry sherry
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”