Need holiday gift ideas for coworkers?

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Miss Mary

Need holiday gift ideas for coworkers?

#1 Postby Miss Mary » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:47 pm

Help! I had more time last year to bake caramel popcorn and cookies for everyone on my list. And a dozen treat bag for my coworkers. I also gave them spiced tea mix.

This year I'm in a time crunch.

If anyone has a quick and easy idea, let me know!

I saw a picture of orange pomander's in a decorating magazine. I wonder if they're easy to make? They sure look like they are. The actual "recipe" calls for 4 to 6 weeks curing time after you roll the cloved studded orange in spices.

But couldn't I just still stud each orange, add ribbon and leave a loop at the top for hanging? They'd still smell nice wouldn't they?

Thanks in advance for answers to my question and also any quick ideas.......

Mary
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#2 Postby CajunMama » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:50 pm

No caramel popcorn? No dennis' recipe of caramel popcorn?? It's just not Christmas without it!
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#3 Postby Miss Mary » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:49 am

No time!

My candy thermometer broke in my second to last batch. Yep, murcury in the sauce.....can't have that! So that batch of sauce went down the drain. The next one was just cooked for 8 minutes - I hope it reached 260 degrees! LOL

Anyway, a new therm. is on my shopping list but between everything else I need for a big dinner we're hosting the 25th (sit down, for 32 relatives), I just keep forgetting to buy it!

Not everyone I work with brings in small gifts to share. I could make this treat in the New Year, on our first day back - Jan. 2nd.

Sounds like I'm weaseling out of it but I swear there are not enough hours in the day right now!
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#4 Postby CajunMama » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:44 am

A new years gift sounds like a wonderful idea! A nice little surprise for when you go back to work.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#5 Postby Miss Mary » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:01 pm

Okay, I made the orange pomenders (sp?). I added cinnamon scented pinecones to the bottom of the gift bag and sat each orange inside the bag. My HS aged daughter said I went "all out"....LOL The pomenders took about an hour to create and the rest came from Target! So this wasn't as hard as it sounded. One of my coworkers said she thought the secret santa exchange took the place of small gifts like this. Guess not - everyone is bringing in either ornaments and/or candles (even though we each have a person to give a $20 gift to this Friday). But I had to bring something in!

So that's done and I can check it off my list......
0 likes   

Miss Mary

Re: Need holiday gift ideas for coworkers?

#6 Postby Miss Mary » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:51 pm

CajunMama - well, my coworkers liked the orange pomenders alright but several said - no popcorn?

Sigh!

I said if not for this sit down dinner on the 25th I'd be baking. Instead I'm polishing silver, washing crystal, etc.!

I told them I'll just surprise everyone one random day, I'll just show up with popcorn! They'll never know when it's coming......no pressure that way ya know....he he
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#7 Postby CajunMama » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:09 pm

I bought all the fixings for caramel corn today, chex mix and microwave pralines. So much for my diet this holiday. January 2 comes soon enough and back on it 100%.

Dennis????? How much caramel popcorn have you made this year? You usually tell us how your holiday baking is going.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#8 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:10 pm

Guess what I found on my register this morning when I reported to work?

A brand new candy thermometer!

LOL I promised that person the first batch, in 08 of course.....he he
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”