Pomegranates

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Pomegranates

#1 Postby CajunMama » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:25 am

I recently discovered this delicious fruit. I've only just eaten the arils since i haven't tried any recipes. Anyone have some good recipes using pomegranates?
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#2 Postby Miss Mary » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:23 am

I saw these at our local produce store. They looked past ripe! But maybe that's how you're supposed to buy them? They looked all soft and mushy too.

I'd be interested in recipes too. I'm assuming they're very healthy for you too? We're on a fresh produce kick here in our house, since we've had way too many holiday treats, cheeses, dips, mixed nuts, etc. It's enough to want to snack on a banana or mashed potatoes! LOL
0 likes   

Coredesat

#3 Postby Coredesat » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:41 am

Pomegranates are supposedly very healthy. They contain a good amount of antioxidants and can reduce your risk of heart disease.
0 likes   

Opal storm

Re: Pomegranates

#4 Postby Opal storm » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:58 pm

0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Category 5 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:32 pm

I discovered them recently too, now they're one of my favorite fruits. I love them in any way shape or form.
0 likes   

Coredesat

#6 Postby Coredesat » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:18 am

I'm liking that sorbet recipe. I might have to try it.
0 likes   

Pburgh
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Pburgh » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:16 pm

When I canned fresh pears this fall I used a combination of red hots and pomegranate syrup and they came out very good. I also had a pomegranate martini at Christmas and it was delicious.

Mary, usually pomegranates don't get mushy, they kinda just dry up.

These were always called Indian Apples when I was growing up. My Mom still buys me one every Fall just as a reminder of my childhood and how much I loved to eat them seeds and all.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#8 Postby Miss Mary » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:39 am

Lately my husband and daughter like the Tea mixed with Pomegrante juice. There are two brands they like - Tazo and Pom. Pom is kinda neat because it comes in drinking glass jars, that are thick and better quality than some of our own drinking glasses. Pom makes about 6 different flavors of iced tea like this and for a while Krogers had them on sale, 2 for $4. Now we have about 6 or so glasses. They fit nicely into our cabinet, since they're tall and slender, perfect for iced tea. I even bought 4 for my college aged daughter's last grocery drop (we visited for the day), I filled 2 paper grocery bags with lots of goodies. Thinking, college kids wouldn't turn down 4 "free" drinking glasses now would they? LOL

Anyway, now I notice other brands coming out with this mixture - tea with pomegrante juice. We tried the large jug Minute Maid just came out with and it's quite good.

Anyone else addicted to this iced tea mixture?
0 likes   

weathermom
Category 2
Category 2

#9 Postby weathermom » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:50 am

My daughter loves this raspberry pomegranate drink thing that she gets at Maggie Moos. I am sure it isn't anything like healthy coming from Maggie Moos!

We have been tempted to buy cranberry pomagranate juice, but it just hasn't been in the budget. All the pomegranate stuff seems to be a bit pricey!
0 likes   

PurdueWx80
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10 Postby PurdueWx80 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:42 pm

the seeds are really good on a salad, too. nice crunch and it adds something sweet, if that's your thing. :)
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#11 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:49 pm

I recently read that pomegrante juice was better at cleaning out arteries and lowering chloresterol than medication! So since my husband is off Lipitor (his blood work and counts were so low, the doctor said to go off for 3 months and see if he even needs to be on it, only reason he went on 10 mg was because of heart disease risk in his family and his counts were slightly elevated). Anyway, he's lost weight, is eating whole grains, fresh fruit and drinking this juice each evening.

We shall see what the benefits are.

It does act like prune juice though. So be careful, just don't drink an entire glass of it! We mix it with regular iced tea or other fruit juice.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#12 Postby CajunMama » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:53 pm

Guess what i found at the store today! Image
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#13 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:20 am

Mmmmm, pomegrantes? LOL

I found them too but this was when our power went out, courtesy of Ike, 2 weeks ago. So I had absolutely no idea how to eat them! All the produce clerk said was to cut them in half and scoop out the pulp. But the pulp had many, many tiny seeds.

So I hate to say this but w/o google, we didn't eat them. They were 2 for $3. $3 wasted.....LOL

My husband likes the Pom brand pomegrante juice each evening, with iced tea I make. He mixes the two and this is his - I hope this replaces the need for Lipitor - tonic. LOL! His blood counts were so low and the doc didn't even think he needed Lipitor anymore....anyway, this is a 3 month experiment......we shall see!

Authentic pomegrante juice is supposed be an excellent antioxidant. It cleans out your arteries we've read.

So again, we shall see!

So Kathy, what did you find? LOL
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#14 Postby CajunMama » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:49 am

The seeds are what you eat! They're tiny & crunchy & delicious! When "peeling" the fruit, i use a plastic container filled with water and peel the fruit in that. I read that somewhere and it helps get off all the little pieces of pulp. Then i dump the seeds in a colinder and rinse them.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#15 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Aha - you eat the seeds, not the pulp.....light bulb comes on. LOL!!

Thanks! Did not know that....learn something new everyday.
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby angelwing » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:00 pm

Ok, I eat the red pulp & the seeds, the hubby told me not to eat the seeds, they are bad for you, so what do you eat? I love the red pulp!
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#17 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:20 pm

LOL!!!

I love it when I discover a new type of fresh produce. Before pomegrantes, it was fennel. I had NO idea what a fennel bulb was. A Rachel Ray recipe (a delicious chicken stew, with chicken stock, yellow raisins, spanish onions and sliced fennel) called for it but I had no idea what I was looking for. So the nice produce clerk said - oh yes fennel is kept over here. Here you go! I took a bulb from him and said - aha, so THIS is fennel! Always wondered what the heck it was and what you used it for! LOL
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#18 Postby CajunMama » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:22 pm

I'm calling the little red thingys seeds. That's what i eat. Y'all made me curious about what i was doing. Was i doing it wrong? So i googled and found this:

Step by Step with pictures on how to "peel" a pomgranate
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#19 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:53 pm

That info was exactly what we needed as ole Ike came roaring into the Ohio Valley and gave us a massive blackout (2+weeks ago). We looked at this fruit and had no idea what to do with it! LOL

Thanks!
0 likes   

weathermom
Category 2
Category 2

#20 Postby weathermom » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:03 am

That is a great link on how to peel etc!

Do you ever wonder how people came to eat some of the things we eat? Who first thought of scraping the flesh off of the flower bud of a thistle? (an artichoke)
Why we eat the seeds of some things and the flesh of others....
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”