Total Solar Eclipse April 8 2024 (Totallity from Texas to Maine)

Discuss Astronomy, Geology and other related subjects like Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tsunami's and other Natural events around the world.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Total Solar Eclipse April 8 2024 (Totallity from Texas to Maine) Warning from FAA= Flight delays, overcrowded airpor

#121 Postby cycloneye » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:50 am

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Total Solar Eclipse April 8 2024 (Totallity from Texas to Maine) Warning from FAA= Flight delays, overcrowded airpor

#122 Postby Astromanía » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:22 pm

I will be at Torreon from April 6th to 8th, I already bought the travel tickets :D
1 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#123 Postby USTropics » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:07 pm

Not sure what the verification scores are on these products from this timeframe, but here are the current cloud coverage expectancy (%) by various models:

GFS

ECMWF

ICON

CMC
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#124 Postby cycloneye » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:37 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#125 Postby tolakram » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:48 am

Fingers crossed this is a one day drive for us. Planned to stay mobile on purpose, and even though we are just 30 minutes from the centerline I still planned to drive to Texas if needed. :lol:
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#126 Postby wxman57 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:17 am

tolakram wrote:Fingers crossed this is a one day drive for us. Planned to stay mobile on purpose, and even though we are just 30 minutes from the centerline I still planned to drive to Texas if needed. :lol:

Your best bet to see it would be to drive to northern Maine. Looking very cloudy along much of the path from Texas through the Ohio Valley. May get a brief glimpse of the sun is all I'm hoping for in Kerville.
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#127 Postby tolakram » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:45 pm

Will see how this changes day to day. Never expected Texas to be one of the worst places to view.

https://x.com/NWSWPC/status/1775557112313344091

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: Total Solar Eclipse April 8 2024 (Totallity from Texas to Maine)

#128 Postby tolakram » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:12 pm

Worse

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#129 Postby tolakram » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:27 pm

GFS only. Still need to get closer, but I have to decide if I want to get in front of this system and go northeast into east coast population hell, or get just behind it in the Illinois area. I feel like NE New York is going to get pretty crowded.

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#130 Postby cycloneye » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:19 pm

1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#131 Postby tolakram » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:24 am

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#132 Postby tolakram » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:28 am

Here's a model page but note THE COLORS ARE EXACTLY WRONG. Blue is cloudy, white is clear. I prefer tropical tidbits but it's having issues at the moment.

https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=gefsens&p=cloudcover&rh=2024040506&fh=84
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#133 Postby tolakram » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:49 pm

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#134 Postby USTropics » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:25 pm

These products are from Tomer Burg over at OU, some really good looks using NBM (National Blend of Models) for average cloud coverage %:

You can get various ensemble products as well here -http://arctic.som.ou.edu/tburg/products/realtime/eclipse/

For those eclipse chasing (its a thing), you can even get a breakdown on a by city basis of expected viewing parameters (click City Dashboard).
Last edited by USTropics on Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#135 Postby tolakram » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:27 pm

https://x.com/burgwx/status/1776359246692810808

source: https://charts.ecmwf.int/products/medium-clouds?base_time=202404051200&projection=opencharts_north_america&valid_time=202404081800

-Low-level Cloud Cover (LCC) is shown as brown and approximately corresponds to levels between 0m and 1800m above the model's earth surface.
-Medium-level Cloud Cover (MCC) is shown as magenta and approximately corresponds to levels between 1800m and 6300m above the model's earth surface.
-High-level Cloud Cover (HCC) is shown as cyan and approximately corresponds to levels higher than 6300m above the model's earth surface.

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#136 Postby tolakram » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:50 am

I'm starting to feel pretty good about not having to travel much. This is the model I've been using to predict clear skies at night for astrophotography. It's pretty foolish to only use a single model, so take it with a grain of salt.

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

snownado
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#137 Postby snownado » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:43 am

tolakram wrote:I'm starting to feel pretty good about not having to travel much. This is the model I've been using to predict clear skies at night for astrophotography. It's pretty foolish to only use a single model, so take it with a grain of salt.

https://i.imgur.com/SGosk4g.png
https://i.imgur.com/qB1pvny.png
https://i.imgur.com/ekZeq4H.png

What you're saying about not using a single model is great advice in general, but the RGEM / GGEM (Canadian model) is comparatively poor from a verification standpoint versus the GFS and EURO.

That said, I'd love nothing more than for it to finally get it right this time.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#138 Postby tolakram » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:55 am

snownado wrote:
tolakram wrote:I'm starting to feel pretty good about not having to travel much. This is the model I've been using to predict clear skies at night for astrophotography. It's pretty foolish to only use a single model, so take it with a grain of salt.

https://i.imgur.com/SGosk4g.png
https://i.imgur.com/qB1pvny.png
https://i.imgur.com/ekZeq4H.png

What you're saying about not using a single model is great advice in general, but the RGEM / GGEM (Canadian model) is comparatively poor from a verification standpoint versus the GFS and EURO.

That said, I'd love nothing more than for it to finally get it right this time.

This is the one model to correctly predict clear skies in my area a full day before, while the GFS is predicting all kinds of nonsense. Tomorrow is the day I can decide where we go. I'm a little allergic to multi model predictions that includes the GFS. :) The euro seems the most accurate, with mostly high clouds predicted for my area, which won't interfere with an eclipse. Maine is still the safest bet, but I can't get to Maine.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#139 Postby tolakram » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:41 pm

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

snownado
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#140 Postby snownado » Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:29 pm

00z HRRR also has a cautiously optimistic skycover projection like the NAM does for DFW, FWIW
0 likes   

Return to “Astronomy and Geology”