Earthquake Shakes Southeast Nebraska or meteor

Discuss Astronomy, Geology and other related subjects like Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tsunami's and other Natural events around the world.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Crostorm
Category 5
Category 5

Earthquake Shakes Southeast Nebraska or meteor

#1 Postby Crostorm » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:06 am

It's not everyday an earthquake rattles Nebraska, but it happened tonight in southeast Nebraska.

According the the U.S. Geological Survey, a 3.5
magnitude earthquake hit at 8:53 Wednesday night. It was centered two miles north by northwest of Auburn.
Laura Wenzle from Elk Creek says her parents who live in Steinauer said it sounded just like a helicopter.

"We were sitting in our living room here in Elk Creek, Nebraska, and we heard a big rumble, and we didn't know what was happening and all of our plates on our wall, we've got collectors plates, they started shaking. And it was just kind of like a big wave went through the house and, I don't know, it's kind of hard to describe. But it gave me goosebumps, and I still have goosebumps from it," said Wenzle.
http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/7 ... tion=story

EVENTS IN NEBRASKA: "At 9 p.m. Central Time on Dec. 16th, a very bright meteor lit up the completely overcast sky like lightning in southeast Nebraska," reports Trooper Jerry Chab of the Nebraska State Patrol. "It flashed for approximately 2 seconds and was followed by sonic booms and ground shaking, which prompted many calls by the public to law enforcement in a three county wide area." The USGS says there was a magnitude 3.5 earthquake near Auburn, Nebraska, at 8:53 pm Wednesday night, about the same time and place as the fireball. Coincidence?
http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php ... &year=2009
0 likes   

Return to “Astronomy and Geology”