Supermoon-March 19 2011

Discuss Astronomy, Geology and other related subjects like Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tsunami's and other Natural events around the world.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5

Supermoon-March 19 2011

#1 Postby Macrocane » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:57 pm

Some excerpts from Accuweather:

Coming up later this month (March 19 to be exact) the moon will make its closest approach to Earth (called lunar perigee) in 18 years. A new or full moon at 90% or greater of its closest perigee to Earth has been named a "SuperMoon" by astrologer Richard Nolle. This term has been recently picked up by astronomers. An extreme "SuperMoon" is when the moon is full or new as well as at its 100% greater mean perigee (closest) distance to earth. By this definition, last month's full moon, this month's and next month's will all be extreme "SuperMoons".

We obviously know that there are scientific laws that say the moon affects the Earth (i.e. tides). There are also less proven theories that propose that the moon affects the Earth in other ways (i.e. abnormal behavior during a full moon). Can the Super (full) Moon contribute to extreme weather and other natural phenomenon?

AccuWeather Facebook fanpage member Daniel Vogler adds, "The last extreme super moon occurred was on January 10th, 2005, right around the time of the 9.0 Indonesia earthquake. That extreme super moon was a new moon. So be forewarned. Something BIG could happen on or around this date. (+/- 3 Days is my guess)"

So what can we expect this time? Earthquakes? Volcanic eruptions? I guess we can only wait and see.

Link:http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/astronomy/story/46417/extreme-super-full-moon-to-cause-chaos.asp

What are your thoughts on that?
0 likes   

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Supermoon-March 19 2011

#2 Postby gigabite » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:08 pm

The Full Moon is Mar 19 18 hours 10 minutes utc. Gravity is associative that means that when there is an alignment the pulls on either side of the earth are summed algebraically. Superior conjunction with Jupiter is still almost a month off. Jupiter's Perihelion is on March 17, 2011, but it is 12 degrees off an alignment it might add 0.4 percent to the Sun's side of the equation. The greatest chance of a large Earthquake would be around March 20 05 hours 14 minutes utc when the moon crosses the equator. Earth is a very small place the power vector misses by a long shot.

The closeness of Jupiter to the Sun is kicking the Sun Spot number way up. There is lots of upper atmospheric moisture built up over the solar minimum that adds potential for rain. The decadial rain fall average has been climbing over the last 100 years. The U.S. is just coming out of a 6 year drought. To keep the average up it is going to have to rain hard for the next few years.
0 likes   

Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Macrocane » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:42 pm

Thanks gigabite, I was waiting for your response I always find them very interesting.
0 likes   

Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Macrocane » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:54 am

Not saying that it HAD something to do with the Japan earthquake but what a coincidence :eek:
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#5 Postby somethingfunny » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:57 pm

Macrocane wrote:Some excerpts from Accuweather:

Coming up later this month (March 19 to be exact) the moon will make its closest approach to Earth (called lunar perigee) in 18 years. A new or full moon at 90% or greater of its closest perigee to Earth has been named a "SuperMoon" by astrologer Richard Nolle. This term has been recently picked up by astronomers. An extreme "SuperMoon" is when the moon is full or new as well as at its 100% greater mean perigee (closest) distance to earth. By this definition, last month's full moon, this month's and next month's will all be extreme "SuperMoons".

We obviously know that there are scientific laws that say the moon affects the Earth (i.e. tides). There are also less proven theories that propose that the moon affects the Earth in other ways (i.e. abnormal behavior during a full moon). Can the Super (full) Moon contribute to extreme weather and other natural phenomenon?

AccuWeather Facebook fanpage member Daniel Vogler adds, "The last extreme super moon occurred was on January 10th, 2005, right around the time of the 9.0 Indonesia earthquake. That extreme super moon was a new moon. So be forewarned. Something BIG could happen on or around this date. (+/- 3 Days is my guess)"

So what can we expect this time? Earthquakes? Volcanic eruptions? I guess we can only wait and see.

Link:http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/astronomy/story/46417/extreme-super-full-moon-to-cause-chaos.asp

What are your thoughts on that?

December 26 - January 10 = 15 days. March 11 - March 19 = 8 days. Not a perfect correlation but really spooky that it was just posted yesterday.

So when's the next "supermoon"? :lol:
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby HurricaneBill » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:53 pm

This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius.
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#7 Postby RL3AO » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:21 am

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, at the time of the quake happened, the moon was further from the earth then its average distance from Earth. Basically the moon spends two weeks a month closer to earth then it was when the quake happened.
0 likes   

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby gigabite » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:44 am

Sorry, I haven't got time to solve the mechanics right now, but I can say that this configuration is typical for a large earthquake, and always remember that a small astronomic percentage is a big number for such a small blue speck to deal with.

This is a continuing process, as Jupiter starts to pull away from the Sun the Sun Spot number will increase, I expect rain to increase and it might be a little cooler for a while, but for what ever reason even though the Jupiter is as close to the sun as it has ever been as in the Dresden Codex the solar maximum is not going to be all that. That is the string of highly active Solar cycles seems to be over. To me a less active sun mean a smaller sun.

Jupiter's Perihelion is on March 17, 2011 at Octobers conjunction the earth will be as far away from the sun in 3000 years. Small Sun and Earth further from it…

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mar 19 19:10 356577 km ++ F+ 0h Supermoon
body.....R/A.....Dec....AU
Sun 23h 24m 20s -3° 50.6' 0.993
Venus 20h 52m 48s -17° 16.8' 1.124
Moon 3h 49m 33s +22° 31.6'
Mars 22h 58m 5s -7° 42.9' 2.360
Jupiter 0h 38m 57s +3° 0.2' 5.871
2011-03-11 5:46:23 earthquake
0 likes   

Return to “Astronomy and Geology”