Total Solar Eclipse: Post images/Videos of surroundings,traffic,eclipse

Discuss Astronomy, Geology and other related subjects like Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tsunami's and other Natural events around the world.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Total Solar Eclipse (August 21 1:15 PM EDT) (Totality from Oregon to South Carolina)

#61 Postby chaser1 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:49 am

WeatherGuesser wrote:Just got to wondering what boardies here will do if there's a significant TC anywhere near the SE US coastline on that day.

Good question?! I guess one first need decide which event they'd prefer to stick around and watch, the hurricane or the eclipse?

I've kicked that thought around a bit. For instance, what if there's an approaching T.D. or stronger in the Gulf? Upper level blow off could easily push hundreds of miles to the north and east while an approaching system might be still well away from the coast yet. Tropical systems aside, there's always the possibility of some southern branch jet mid-level CONUS low that just happens to be getting enhanced by a deep fetch of Gulf moisture. Finally, there's those typically localized events that under certain conditions might cause boundary layer or diurnal convective activity for the wrong couple hours of the day. All in all, it seems to me that the best plan to view the eclipse is one that kinda incorporates a storm chasing philosophy (where possible lol). Therefore, ideally allowing myself some type of "central point" of planned "pre-eclipse location", but a location where not only does it allow major thoroughfares in and out of that spot but more importantly, a relatively accessible thoroughfare "in and out" along the path of the eclipse in the event of overcast sky conditions. Example: Take I-24 which stretches from Paducah Kentucky, southeast all the way to Chattanooga Tenn. I could choose to stake out any small town motel along the eclipse path (or any restaurant parking lot) somewhere well West of Nashville TN the day prior. Depending on local or regional weather conditions and the overall accuracy of very short term weather forecasts, I might choose to just back on I-24 during the late evening of the night before and simply "slide" more or less East or West to some spot where at least I'm pretty guaranteed of clear sky conditions for the eclipse event. If I want to really get fancy such as perhaps picking a spot like Sparta Tenn. as "my ground zero", then I allow myself highway 40 as an East/West "escape route" along the path of the eclipse.... but also providing myself a spot with a secondary roadway/path such as Interstate 70 which at least locally there, parallels highway 40 in a relative East/West direction close too and along the path of the eclipse.

In doing this, I've best positioned myself to optimize any need for last minute (well, couple hour prior to eclipse totality) driving adjustment if very localized weather conditions appear to risk impacting ideal viewing conditions. Given an influx of people coming from all over to see this event and the potential of local and micro-scale weather/climate conditions (i.e. forest canopy, bodies of water/diurnal cloud condensation, valley/smog, etc), I figure the best that one can do is pick a final "plan A" spot that generally speaking provides a several hour drive access in either direction along the path of the eclipse, but additionally offers at least two additional localized East/West thoroughfares for any additional but more localized (perhaps 20 mile in either direction) for last minute spot adjustment. Lastly, never wait until the very last second to commit to a spot. At some point, time and traffic will only get worse and the last thing one wants to do is being caught on the road or stuck in some spot where they'll miss the very short couple of minutes of totality. Oh and for any REAL risk takers out there seeking that miracle shot of viewing a total eclipse from within the eye of a land-falling hurricane, feel free to join me at some local bar off N US-17 south of McClellanville SC that day! I'll be sitting by the window and will have a cold one waiting for ya :wink:
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Total Solar Eclipse (August 21 1:15 PM EDT) (Totality from Oregon to South Carolina)

#62 Postby cycloneye » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:57 am

Mark Sudduth,(Hurricanetrack) are you going down to South Carolina to see the Eclipse?
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#63 Postby northjaxpro » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:42 pm

Chaser1, it looks as if you have an excellent back-up plan in place. I plan to arrive in Santee, SC the day before the event, but if necessary my back-up plan would be to head down to McClenanville. Hopefully, the weather will hold up and fare decent on Aug 21. Traffic is going to be terrible in and around the path of totality that day.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#64 Postby WeatherGuesser » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:55 pm

northjaxpro wrote: Traffic is going to be terrible in and around the path of totality that day.

Oddly enough, there hasn't been any where near the c overage and hoopla you might expect here at almost the centerpoint. A few stories about hotels being sold out, but there aren't very many hotels to begin with despite being a minor tourist/recreation area. Most of the visitors are in RVs and use campgrounds, but there aren't a lot of those either. It's a relatively sparse area for such an event. I might expect an influx of food trucks and such in almost a carnival like atmosphere, but I haven't hear much about that either. There are about a billion acres of farm fields, but they're mostly planted, so no traffic in those.

Will the waterways be filled with boats? Who knows?

I'm a bit concerned about emergency services. Fire departments are mostly all small volunteer operations and EMS services may only have two or three ambulances per county. Sheriff departments are small also and many towns don't have their own police departments. Traffic control if needed will be up to state police. There are virtually NO water rescue services despite fairly heavy river traffic from towboat/barge companies. Even the Coast Guard doesn't have routine patrols.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#65 Postby northjaxpro » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:01 pm

WeatherGuesser, thanks for that info above in your previous post. I would have to think the coverage and buzz about the eclipse is going to increase the closer we get to the event, which is now inside of just 40 days from now. I explained earlier of why I am choosing Santee as my main spot to view the total solar eclipse in this thread. But, my goodness, it is very tough planning for this. Of course, the critical factor is the weather that day. I pray I do not have to go to exploring my other options on Aug 21.

The total solar eclipse is going to be absolutely awesome to witness weather permitting! Also, just received my.new eclipse glasses via UPS a couole of days ago.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#66 Postby WeatherGuesser » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:10 am

Maybe it's just my imagination, or something I've never noticed before, or part of the process, but it seems like the two are getting closer to each other a little at a time. The moon is still out much later in the mornings for example. Right now, even though it only a slight crescent, it's well East in the sky for this time of day.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#67 Postby tolakram » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:20 am

We are driving to as close as we can get to totality the day of the eclipse. Leaving early enough from Cincy to beat the Louisville rush hour. Really not sure what to expect traffic wise but we are sticking to a major artery (71S to 65S) so it could be bad.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#68 Postby cycloneye » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:06 pm

One month left!

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

StarmanHDB
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#69 Postby StarmanHDB » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:20 pm

Here we are! July 23, 2017....the last New Moon before the big day! I am all set for my trip to Greenville, SC. So, who else is travelling (and to where) in order to check out this uniquely special event?
1 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#70 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:14 pm

Is there a KMZ file on this?
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#71 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:28 pm

Just 22 days until the mega event..Well, if we can have this pattern continue with these unusually strong fronts and troughs digging down the Eastern CONUS, bringing dry and relatively stable airmasses, this would be great for Eclipse Day, that is for the East Coast and Southeast U.S. to be specific.

Keeping my fingers crossed for this abnormal pattern to continue, at least up until August 21 to view the total solar eclipse in SC. 8-)
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#72 Postby cycloneye » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:10 pm

:darrow: :darrow: :darrow: :darrow: Choose your area in the interactive map below at hyperlink to see about the cloudiness conditions for the Eclipse and the % of obscuration.

SAN JUAN L M MARIN, PR
Eclipse Time: 3:34pm
Viewable: 62.1%
Obscuration: 80%

Interactive map

0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#73 Postby WeatherGuesser » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:11 pm

I've seen the Interactive, but I'd still like a .kmz file for GE Pro.

Do we have a sense of weather yet? Models do 3 weeks, don't they?
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#74 Postby tolakram » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:44 pm

WeatherGuesser wrote:I've seen the Interactive, but I'd still like a .kmz file for GE Pro.

Try the ones on this page.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/So ... Earth.html

2017 KMZ file: http://xjubier.free.fr/download/GE/en/TSE_2017_08_21.kmz
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#75 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:52 pm

WeatherGuesser wrote:I've seen the Interactive, but I'd still like a .kmz file for GE Pro.

Check back next week. I will start peeking ahead once we get within 14 days of the eclipse. We won"t know for certain how the weather will be at that juncture, but I hope we will have at least some idea from the models what the pattern will be like by that time.

I am hoping that this current pattern of these troughs and fronts dropping down over the Eastern CONUS will continue. A pattern like this will filter drier and stable air in the region (most specifically in South Carolina, where I will be on Eclipse Day 8-))and enhance the chances of having good weather on August 21. We will see. Keeping fingers crossed.
0 likes   

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#76 Postby weathaguyry » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:54 pm

I'm traveling from Long Island, NY to Andrews, NC to see the eclipse
0 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#77 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:40 am

@NWSEastern
Nice visualization of what the August 21st eclipse will look like assuming clouds cooperate in different parts of the US. Thanks Larry Koehn

https://twitter.com/NWSEastern/status/892372660306489344

1 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#78 Postby WeatherGuesser » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:45 pm

Traveling a US Highway today which is a major NW <> SE route for commercial traffic, I passed over the Total Dark line twice. I saw ONE mention of the event. That was a fourth rate rural store that had a sign out front for the special glasses. That was the ONLY publicly visual indication. I was inside several bigger stores and saw no mention of the glasses or preparedness at all.

I did see mention of it in some brochures on an inside rack at a tourist information center.
0 likes   

jimvb
Category 1
Category 1

#79 Postby jimvb » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:40 pm

I wonder what will be the effect on the eclipse of Invest 99L, especially for the Carolinas and Georgia? Some of the GFS runs show it hitting just south of the center line.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#80 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:57 pm

It is way still too soon to know how the weather will be on August 21.

As I pointed out in an earlier post above on this page, I prefer to wait until we get inside of 14 days of the event to see the type of early signs or pattern indications the models hopefully will give us for the particular location you are traveling to in the path of totality on Eclipse Day.

Needless to say, hopefully, whatever the impacts, directly or indirectly, which 99L in particular may bring the SE US region, will be long gone by Aug 21. I just hope that no.other tropical entities or other disturbances will follow up behind 99L leading into that week of the eclipse.

We will.hopefully get some hints long range about Eclipse Day within the next week.
0 likes   

Return to “Astronomy and Geology”