Total Solar Eclipse April 8 2024 (Totallity from Texas to Maine)

Discuss Astronomy, Geology and other related subjects like Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tsunami's and other Natural events around the world.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: Total Solar Eclipse April 8 2024 (Totallity from Texas to Maine)

#141 Postby tolakram » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:24 am

Here's my favorite, RGEM, verification from yesterday to today. This is why I've been using it to determine night time clear skies. Note how it even nailed the upper clouds near Cincinnati.

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#142 Postby tolakram » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:31 am

Forecast for tomorrow. On the bright side, for me, looks like Indiana right now. Why can't these darn clouds cooperate!

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

IsabelaWeather
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#143 Postby IsabelaWeather » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:00 pm

Really sucks, been planning this since the last one in '17. Decided to cancel my trip to Llano, TX because of the high risk of clouds. I thought about DFW or into AR, but that's a ton of driving with too many people every where. Too bad I didnt plan for ME haha, i'd be golden. Hard to get this right coming from PR, good luck to everyone in TX, ill be a little miffed if it ends up being clear though :D
0 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#144 Postby USTropics » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:03 pm

Reporting a glitch on satellite imagery:
3 likes   

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#146 Postby Astromanía » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:05 pm

I cried a lot, I was waiting for this eclipse since I was 10 years old because it was described in a geography book from elementary school. It was the most beautiful thing I saw in my life
8 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#147 Postby tolakram » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:07 pm

We were on the centerline in SW Indiana, the RGEM did not let me down, cloud prediction played out almost exactly with a patch of nearly clear skies right above us for the event. Compared to my 2017 experience this was incredible, it got almost pitch dark the shadow was so large and we were on the centerline.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#148 Postby tolakram » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:12 pm

Here's our totality sat pic.

And an animated version

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#149 Postby aspen » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:20 pm

The RGEM won. Low clouds cleared out between 12-1pm in DFW (I was observing at the Dallas Zoo), and it was clear for totality. The remaining low-level clouds were wiped out by totality and didn’t return until an hour later, after the partial ended.

I got photos of the entire eclipse with my Nikon 200-500mm from start to finish. Got a lot of different shots of totality at f/8 and ISO 320, with shutter speeds ranging from 1/15s (attempting to get the outer corona) to 1/2000s (trying to pick out the prominences). I got really lucky and photographed the diamond ring effect at the end.
2 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#150 Postby chaser1 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:42 pm

tolakram wrote:We were on the centerline in SW Indiana, the RGEM did not let me down, cloud prediction played out almost exactly with a patch of nearly clear skies right above us for the event. Compared to my 2017 experience this was incredible, it got almost pitch dark the shadow was so large and we were on the centerline.

How significant was any temperature drop?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#151 Postby USTropics » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:17 pm

chaser1 wrote:
tolakram wrote:We were on the centerline in SW Indiana, the RGEM did not let me down, cloud prediction played out almost exactly with a patch of nearly clear skies right above us for the event. Compared to my 2017 experience this was incredible, it got almost pitch dark the shadow was so large and we were on the centerline.

Looks like 3°F in some of the northeast states that were under totality:
https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KHUL.html
https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KSYR.html
https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KBTV.html

Indianapolis had a 2°F drop:
https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KIND.html
0 likes   

snownado
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#152 Postby snownado » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:52 am

chaser1 wrote:

DFW officially dropped 6 degrees from 80*F to 74*F.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#153 Postby tolakram » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:10 am

chaser1 wrote:

The drop was an odd one. There was a brisk wind out of the southwest coming from the same direction as the shadow. At about 50% temps started to cool and we put on jackets, but I swear, without measurements, that things warmed up during totality. Could have been the winds, I did not take any measurements.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

TheAustinMan
Category 4
Category 4

#154 Postby TheAustinMan » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:48 am

The solar eclipse was one of the most surreal moments I've experienced. I was in Indiana and aside from light cirrus and some contrails, skies were clear. From the beginning of the partial eclipse to about 50% coverage it looked like any other fair day, though as more and more of the Sun became obscured you could tell that everything was ever so dimmer than usual. It's an odd feeling when it's sunny and yet not as bright as it's supposed to be. I'd call it off-bright. Closing in on totality, that dimming quickened and became more obvious, casting everything in eerie silvery tones. By that time the temperature was falling -- that feeling accentuated by being in the sunlight -- and crickets were starting to chirp.

Totality hit suddenly, and it was an otherworldly sight. I don't think most photographs reflect the visual experience: the silky white corona, extending in sheets far from the Sun, solar prominences shining along the solar limb as bright red pinpricks of light, and a void of light in the middle against the backdrop of a deep, dark blue twilight sky with Jupiter and Venus nearby. The wind was a dead calm and the colors of sunset fully encircled the horizon. The 4-minute totality passed quickly, but boy was it an incredible experience.
3 likes   
ImageImageImage
Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#155 Postby tolakram » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:12 am

As the sun dims I think what makes it odd is the light color is still bright white, but dim. Our brains are used to sunrise sunset and being very yellow in color and the dim more bluish light is just plain weird. So much fun, too bad it's so long until the next one, I've been spoiled.

We were in Bloomfield IN, great little town who brought in food trucks to their park and made a great time of it.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#156 Postby tolakram » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:14 am

Best video I've found so far, just crowd reaction and fixed settings so you can see the dimming.

Link: https://youtu.be/61FZMurmE1c
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#157 Postby Hurricane2022 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:54 pm

0 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#158 Postby wxman57 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:49 am

I drove out to a former coworker's house in Kerrville on Saturday. Didn't expect much for the eclipse, due to the cloud forecast. However, on Monday morning, there were large patches of blue overhead. Clouds were definitely increasing as the eclipse started, but there were periods of good viewing. As totality neared, a hole in the clouds passed over the sun. I was watching with my 6" reflector telescope and a solar filter. Once totality started, I removed the solar filter and could see the corona and 3-4 red solar flares. Didn't have time to take a photo since I was keeping the sun centered for a group of 4-5 people to each have a look. About half way through totality, the clouds took over and we didn't see the sun for the second half. A few hours later, the sky cleared. Seeing totality was way more than I expected.

One group left Kerrville for Houston at 3pm. The normal 4 hour drive took 8.5 hours. So many people were driving back. I waited until 10am Tuesday to leave. Was going great until I approached Columbus about 70 miles out. It was stop and go driving for the next 3 hours. Took me 6.5 hours to get home.
6 likes   

Return to “Astronomy and Geology”