ATL: Invest 97L in Central Atlantic

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Ed Mahmoud

Re: ATL: Invest 97L in Central Atlantic

#441 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:21 pm

Different example.

I'm not a doctor, but I suspect meteorology is like medicine, with specialties, like tropical meteorology, and sub-specialties within specialties.

Curious what Derek's sub-specialty was.
0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

#442 Postby Category 5 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:50 pm

Ed Mahmoud wrote:Different example.

I'm not a doctor, but I suspect meteorology is like medicine, with specialties, like tropical meteorology, and sub-specialties within specialties.

Curious what Derek's sub-specialty was.

Why didn't you just say that in the first place? :lol:
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#443 Postby Derek Ortt » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:12 pm

I have been focusing on intensity change for the past few years. Have started looking at genesis recently.

Previously, my work had largely been obs, but in the last couple of years, have been drifting more to the modeling side (which is I I am very short with those who do not understand models and are trashing the models... though most of those comments are quite comical)

One thing I do not do is theoretical research. I am more of an applied person
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#444 Postby Sanibel » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:53 pm

Serious lack of convection out there.
0 likes   

SapphireSea
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#445 Postby SapphireSea » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:57 pm

Derek Ortt wrote:I have been focusing on intensity change for the past few years. Have started looking at genesis recently.

Previously, my work had largely been obs, but in the last couple of years, have been drifting more to the modeling side (which is I I am very short with those who do not understand models and are trashing the models... though most of those comments are quite comical)

I always thought this. But wouldn't the lack of constant sounding data in the ocean really make it hard to know whether or not the atmosphere has instability for RI, or even an extra kick for genesis? I understand that some of the devices in order for cyclogenesis and intensification are more straightforward, wouldn't the same rules apply to a TC? A TC which ventures into a generally unstable but CAPed area, the disturbance breaks the cap and creates strong storms and takes a significant increase in strength. Or does this occur only for extra-tropical systems?
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

Re: Re:

#446 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:34 am

SapphireSea wrote:
Derek Ortt wrote:I have been focusing on intensity change for the past few years. Have started looking at genesis recently.

I always thought this. But wouldn't the lack of constant sounding data in the ocean really make it hard to know whether or not the atmosphere has instability for RI, or even an extra kick for genesis? I understand that some of the devices in order for cyclogenesis and intensification are more straightforward, wouldn't the same rules apply to a TC? A TC which ventures into a generally unstable but CAPed area, the disturbance breaks the cap and creates strong storms and takes a significant increase in strength. Or does this occur only for extra-tropical systems?

I also wondered, besides possible synthetic data derived from satellite imagery and introduced into the models, and aircraft reports, and, of course, the limited number of data buoy and ship reports, which are all just surface obs, how modelling for a data sparse region like the wide Atlantic, or, for that matter, the even wider Pacific, can be very accurate.
0 likes   

Return to “2008”