ATL: Tropical Depression Fay

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Stormcenter
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: Tropical Depression Fay

#13381 Postby Stormcenter » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:23 pm

SoupBone wrote:I have to think that the NHC knows full and well that writing off a storm before its time would be bad. There is just no way that they wouldn't have considered all of these options before moving on from Fay. Is it possible that Fays remnants could possibly make it back into the gulf and develop or are we just looking for something that isn't there? I'm not trolling just asking an honest question. What I'm MORE worried about is that Fay will leave a big hole for 94L to possibly come into if it develops into anything and reaches the central GOM.

You are looking way ahead by mentioning 94L. There are doubts that it may not even make
it even near the GOM.
0 likes   

twister
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#13382 Postby twister » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:33 pm

Good grief!! Fay does appear moving se. Fay isn't done yet. JMO. Hope the folks in the path of the feeder bands don't get slammed too hard.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid= ... 1&loop=yes
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#13383 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:41 pm

Stormcenter wrote:It's hard to argue with what this satellite loop is showing. Now whether or not it makes it into the GOM and amounts to anything more well only time will tell.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/gmex/loop-ir2.html

I'm still seeing what I have posted above. The center is just about where I said it is and the convection is circling around it and heading back inland as it sits stalled. This system, at the very best, to give the "south sayers" a chance, is looping and looping in the same general area as I and HPC have stated the center is. I do not see a south movement that is anywhere near sustained or even trending. The best I can give it is looping in place with all of the convection on the southern side giving an illusion of a South movement. JMHO.
0 likes   

Clipper96
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13384 Postby Clipper96 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:21 am

SoupBone wrote:I have to think that the NHC knows full and well that writing off a storm before its time would be bad. There is just no way that they wouldn't have considered all of these options before moving on from Fay.
This has been a very unpredictable season so far, Soup; so far, only Bertha has behaved like a "normal" hurricane. Everything else (those storms which made it to the west) had multiple centers darting all over the place and making mincemeat of the models 36hr+.

Initially Fay was supposed to recurve into the open Atlantic.

Then she was supposed to recurve up the east coast and scare everybody before missing.
Then she was supposed to hit the Carolinas.
Then she was supposed to go along the north side the Greater Antilles to Bahamas.
Then she was supposed to plow over every big island and die.
Then she was supposed to run over Haiti into Florida.
Then she was supposed to go south of Cuba into the Gulf (and probably be scary).
Then she was supposed to run over Cuba and southern Florida to Carolinas.
Then she was supposed to run over Cuba up to Tampa.
Then she was supposed to run over Cuba up to northern Gulf (and probably be scary).
Then it was back to Tampa across Florida to Carolinas.
Then is was back to southern Florida to Carolinas.
Then she was supposed to cross Florida to Atlantic and hook back into Georgia.
Then she was supposed to cross Florida to Atlantic and hard left back into Gulf.
And...and...and....

Go all that? :ggreen:

(I still say the Fay was a minimal hurricane at two separate points: At landfall in Cuba, and NW of Lake O, for about two hours each time.)
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#13385 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:30 am

Clipper96 wrote:...(I still say the Fay was a minimal hurricane at two separate points: At landfall in Cuba, and NW of Lake O, for about two hours each time.)

Bold statement!!! Provide us data to support that please.
0 likes   

xironman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13386 Postby xironman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:39 am

Still producing some good winds, 33 kt at Viosca Knoll http://ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42364 and Dauphin Island has continuous wind of 34 kt at 2 am http://ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=dpia1
0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

#13387 Postby Category 5 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:03 am

SoupBone wrote:(I still say the Fay was a minimal hurricane at two separate points: At landfall in Cuba, and NW of Lake O, for about two hours each time.)

If you can prove recon and surface obs wrong, I'd be glad to hear this out.
0 likes   

DAVE440
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13388 Postby DAVE440 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:29 am

Fay remnants are definitely moving back towards the east. Look at radar and satellite images from early Sunday 082408 and now. The center of circulation appeared to be over Mississippi/LA with heavy showers over N.Orleans. The only storms over Florida were what was left from moisture being pulled up around the outer perimeters of the low. NOW much of the N.Orleans activity has cleared up and the main bulk of whats left is again approaching the panhandle of Florida. This isn't simply moisture from the outer perimeter or tail remnants. What's approaching Florida is what's left of the main system. Wonder what effect if any this will have on 94L...assuming (the storm formerly known as) Fay hangs on a bit longer?

In any case.....All I gotta say is....Fay is one tough lady!
0 likes   

Clipper96
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13389 Postby Clipper96 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:34 am

vbhoutex wrote:
Clipper96 wrote:...(I still say the Fay was a minimal hurricane at two separate points: At landfall in Cuba, and NW of Lake O, for about two hours each time.)
Bold statement!!! Provide us data to support that please.
In the absence of dropsondes at either locale, I'm using the "Hurricane Vince Method" (which, to quote an NHC forecaster who justified upgrading Vince in the absence of data, "...if it looks like a hurricane, it probably is")! At landfall in Cuba, Fay had a very tiny, rapidly rotating eyewall which went right over Pico San Juan. (I recall somebody posting a Dvorak pic showing a pinhole eye; probably several hundred pages back now.) Around Lake O, there were many gusts to the mid and upper 70s along the western and northern shores; the right-side eyewall ran over the lake, and I think that what were gusts elsewhere were sustained over the water.

Fay, looking much better over Lake Okeechobee than at landfall earlier in the morning....
0 likes   

xironman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13390 Postby xironman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:06 am

Looks like Fay has finally started to lift out this morning. And if I read the GFS right western NC and Virginia are going to get some much needed rain out of this one
0 likes   

Shockwave
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13391 Postby Shockwave » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:15 am

I hope that GFS precip. verifies, it shows 3" for my area. We had a rain band from Fay come over us this morning. It brought heavy rain in a short time, I guess all is down hill for my area this time on out til she passes.
0 likes   

stormy1970al
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13392 Postby stormy1970al » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:18 am

All I know is that the weather is terrible here now. Constant flooding rain. They have closed the causeway leading to Mobile from the Eastern Shore because of the water splashing up on the road. North Baldwin County is under a tornado warning. And school is in session. I am on my way to work. It is going to be a long 24 hours.
0 likes   

Shockwave
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13393 Postby Shockwave » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:23 am

stormy1970al wrote:All I know is that the weather is terrible here now. Constant flooding rain. They have closed the causeway leading to Mobile from the Eastern Shore because of the water splashing up on the road. North Baldwin County is under a tornado warning. And school is in session. I am on my way to work. It is going to be a long 24 hours.

I wouldn't think school would be in session are any counties in the Mobile/Gulf coast closed today?
0 likes   

stormy1970al
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13394 Postby stormy1970al » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:54 am

Shockwave wrote:
stormy1970al wrote:All I know is that the weather is terrible here now. Constant flooding rain. They have closed the causeway leading to Mobile from the Eastern Shore because of the water splashing up on the road. North Baldwin County is under a tornado warning. And school is in session. I am on my way to work. It is going to be a long 24 hours.

I wouldn't think school would be in session are any counties in the Mobile/Gulf coast closed today?

As of right now Baldwin Counties schools are in session. I have to be at work at 8 am in Daphne and my girls go to school in the nearby town
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#13395 Postby HURAKAN » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:54 am

0 likes   

stormy1970al
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13396 Postby stormy1970al » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:20 am

I just took the trash outside and it is blowing and the rain is coming in sideways.
0 likes   

attallaman

Re:

#13397 Postby attallaman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:34 am

HURAKAN wrote:Image
Is that the remnants of Fay?
0 likes   

baygirl_1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13398 Postby baygirl_1 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:40 am

stormy1970al wrote:
Shockwave wrote:

As of right now Baldwin Counties schools are in session. I have to be at work at 8 am in Daphne and my girls go to school in the nearby town

The only schools that are closed today are the newly formed Saraland City Schools. Saraland has Bayou Sara that is notorious for flooding. That may have figured into their decision to close. Mobile and Baldwin Counties in AL and Escambia County in FL are having school today, per the local media.
Now please excuse me while I put on my water wings for the commute to school...
0 likes   

Shockwave
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13399 Postby Shockwave » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:41 am

I measued .3" of rain last nigth from the band that came through. Satelitte just went out and it is raining heavily outside. Light breeze also.
0 likes   

yzerfan
Category 2
Category 2

#13400 Postby yzerfan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:43 am

We had a good-sized feeder band moving through around 6:30am when I was getting for work. Finally some good heavy rain moving through.
0 likes   

Return to “2008”