92L NE Caribbean / Preparations / Observations / Web Cams

Moderator: S2k Moderators

BatzVI
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: 92L NE Caribbean / Preparations / Observations / Web Cams

#101 Postby BatzVI » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:45 am

The rain, lightning and thunder started around 10:30 last night, and it's still raining here.....there was a bit of wind with the first part, but then it eased up....right now, just rain....from watching the weather channel, it's saying so far we received over an inch of rain so far.....
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#102 Postby cycloneye » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:49 am

Wow,big bombs woke me around 4 AM,plenty of lightning,heavy rain and some gusty winds has been the action in San Juan so far.Between 2-4 inches haved falled since midnight and more is comming.The most important thing was to terminate the drought situation and it looks like the first indication is the rise in the lakes. http://www.lagos-plantas-hidro.com/nivelagos.html If it continues to rain at the rate it has been since it all started,I think the lake will be full.
0 likes   

BatzVI
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#103 Postby BatzVI » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:06 am

There probably could've been more wind, etc overnight, but went to sleep around 1am and didn't hear a thing.....
0 likes   

Ed1
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#104 Postby Ed1 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:14 am

This one link can be used to see the Severe Weather Warnings ..etc
The page refreshes ..reloads at intervals automatically.

http://kamala.cod.edu/svr/

0 likes   

greels
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#105 Postby greels » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:21 am

Good morning everyone,

Hope that everyone is safe.....

Quiet evening last night and it looks to be the beginning of a beautiful day here in Provo.

We are prepared for whatever this system brings.....filled vehicle, gas jugs for gennie etc. late yesterday just in case it is needed.

We shall wait and see.
0 likes   

knotimpaired
Category 1
Category 1

#106 Postby knotimpaired » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:26 am

I woke up minutes ago to hear our generator running and then the phone started to ring. Do we have power our friend Tom asked. Nope, we did not. He was trying to decide whether it was worth hooking his generator up to make coffee or maybe he was hinting he wanted to come over and have some of ours. But during the call the power came back on so he is now a happy camper. Apparently the power went out at about 5 a.m.

The storm came through after midnight and my husband and Tom both said it was a dozy when it came through. Very loud and tons of lightening. Me? I slept through it all. It must have been that white russian I had at Al's Mar Azul that did me in. Who knows...

We have had over 3" of rain here at the house and as far as I can tell the only thing damaged is a papaya tree about 20' fell over on the pump house for the pool but until the rain stops it will stay where it is. Our top wind gust was 19 knots.

Other than that, the island is quite.
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#107 Postby Gustywind » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:27 am

cycloneye wrote:Wow,big bombs woke me around 4 AM,plenty of lightning,heavy rain and some gusty winds has been the action in San Juan so far.Between 2-4 inches haved falled since midnight and more is comming.The most important thing was to terminate the drought situation and it looks like the first indication is the rise in the lakes. http://www.lagos-plantas-hidro.com/nivelagos.html If it continues to rain at the rate it has been since it all started,I think the lake will be full.

:eek: :eek: waouw weather action for you LUIS :roll: but good news for the Lake :) hope no more from that. Be safe. :wink:
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#108 Postby Gustywind » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:41 am

Just for you info, in the latest weather forecast by our pro met of Meteo- France this morning, they reported during the episode since yesterday afternoon 90 millimeters at St Marteen Juliana :eek: not so bad , 30 at Grand Case and around 5 to 10 millimeters at St Barth. Moreover, they reported to gustywinds near 60 to 70 km/h near the sea and the exposed coasts....
St Marteen and St Barth return in yellow alert today for a brief risk of strong showers and scattered thunderstorms , and maybe should return in green alert this afternoon.... :) meaning no threat.... :wink:
Hope that msbee is ok, and what's the weather like in your area msbee?
:roll: if you have some infos msbee i will be glad....
0 likes   

msbee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#109 Postby msbee » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:13 am

good morning everyone
We are fine here in St. Maarten
Other than that one heavy rainfall and thunderstorm I posted about yesterday, we had almost nothing..just soem very light steady rain for awhile.
There were no strong winds either.
My rain gauge says about 1.5 inches fell at my house.
Currently we have cloudy skies and it has just begun to rain again..but not heavily.
We had hopes that yesterday would fill our cistern, but that didn't happen. We actually could have used more rain but this system saved itself for PR, it seems.
As Gusty says however, we could still see some strong storms, but I doubt that. Maybe it will be just a rainy morning and sunny skies this afternoon.

Luis, I am glad the lakes are filling. I hope there are no problems with flooding.

When we had our heavy rain yesterday there was minor and localized flooding and a few traffic accidents, so, those of you in PR and VI, be careful while this system is over you.

Barbara
0 likes   

gerrit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#110 Postby gerrit » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:27 am

East Puerto Rico checking in - good morning!

Na damage here, just a lot of rain overnight. A lot of lighting and thunder but no rain yet from around midnight to2 AM.
After that I fell asleep and woke up just minutes ago.
Right now it's raining a little, some light winds and it's nice and cool on the porch.

Gonna make me some coffee now :)
0 likes   

Rincon
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#111 Postby Rincon » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:35 am

Glad all is well Gerrit. i am checking in from the West Coast in Rincon. Windy this AM (picking up a bit with many 20+ MPH gusts. Rain has been less than i expected however we may catch some on the back end. So far no problems! Here is my weather station if anyone wants to see the wave pass. I have a webcam on this site as well. Hope everyone stays safe and flooding is kept to a minimum.

http://www.rinconadventure.com/Weather/wxindex.php

Rincon
0 likes   

greels
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#112 Postby greels » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:03 am

I am with the Red Cross here on Providenciales.

A meeting has been called at 11AM this morning to prepare for the storm.

Since I expected this, I prepared our home yesterday for anything that may happen. Now I can move on to what is needed

to be done for our shore communities who may be impacted by heavy rains and flooding.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#113 Postby HURAKAN » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:07 am

Looks like PR escaped from the worse. Still, those bands behind the storm can provide very heavy precipitation.
0 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#114 Postby bvigal » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:12 am

Good morning, neighbors! Glad to hear everyone is fine, though sorry, Knot, to hear about your tree down! We had some splendid rain last night, will no doubt save some folks from buying water next week!! Wasn't a lot of wind, I did hear it howling a bit before I went to bed, but that happens all the time with good thunderstorms. I woke up a couple of times to look at the radar loop, it sure looked good as a big screen-full slow spin, the most organized nothing I've ever seen! As I type, we are getting another good shower and some booms, a little red blob on radar, which may be our last drench from this system. The radar looks pretty clear to our SE.
0 likes   

Return to “2008”