ATL GUSTAV: Tropical Depression - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Shawee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#10381 Postby Shawee » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:30 pm

markalva wrote:As a resident of Mandeville La born in New Orleans, I happened to stumble on your group when I was searching for information about sheer and the effects dry air might have on Gus. I have to say that I found it interesting to watch your amateur discussions about the storms. I say that with the utmost respect for your interest in weather, indeed I learned a lot from many of your calm, cautious and logical members. However, some of the posts take on a bent of hopefulness for doom, and it seems that it's only for the sake of bragging rights that come with predicting the diasater. The facts are that the professional mets saw reason to be hopeful that dry air would wrap around and disturb this storms progress. I'm thankful they were right and their view and others that gave me hope that this would not be a repeat of Katrina. How curious that even when we knew they were right, their were still predictions of RI. That's one of the sure signs of stubborn egomania.

Normandy, you should probably find a new hobby.

markalva, check out the model discussions forums and "ask the pro mets". Excellent folks and some really sharp non-pro's too. There are those who use the forum to play God... but they are very few and the patterns of their naysaying and fearmongoring are easy to see. they are dead to me, but this site rocks if you can wear some good shades! 8-)

We need to focus on getting 1st world flood protection for new orleans and the surrounding regions that are worth saving and start moving others out of the low lying areas. Start with gates that stop the water from entering Lake Pontchartrain @ the Rigolets and Chef Pass, connecting levees and most importantly, rebuilding the wetlands and barrier islands that have protected the region for centuries. This region is sustainable and clearly the most protected and protectible area in the country. Let the river put it sediment where it needs to be. We need to stop acting like a 3rd world country and show the world what America can do here and in other regions of the country. we seem to be penny smart and dollar foolish in this country. Louisiana also needs to commit oil and gas revenues to this and lead the way.... and getting a small percentage of current oil and gas revenue from offshore that is directed to the federal treasury is the key IMHO. We will always have to evacualte because of wind; watching the chick*n sh*t "levee" system barely hold up to a weakeing storm is embarrassing and completely unacceptable. Obviously, someone COMPLETELY dropped the ball allowing barges and ships to remain moored near vunerable levees. We will always need to monitor and react, and i find this an incredible resourece. Thanks Storm2K admin/ and posters!
0 likes   

Pebbles
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10382 Postby Pebbles » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:02 am

Seriously.. who kicked Gustav up here? I've heard of sharing the love but come on guys! My hubby took vacation time to litterally dig up the yard (we're talking a bobcat and dumpsters of rocky dirt here) and then I read this is in store for us the next 48 hours.

I live in NorthEast IL people! We aren't suppose to see tropical systems (or their leftovers LOL) :roll:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL
700 PM CDT WED SEP 3 2008

.DISCUSSION...
358 PM CDT

MAIN ISSUE FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE WEEK IS PROGRESS OF GUSTAV
REMNANTS THROUGH THE AREA. MODELS GENERALLY ARE TAKING THE
LOW CENTER ACROSS THE BOTTOM EDGE OF LAKE MICHIGAN THURSDAY INTO
FRIDAY. WRAP-AROUND BANDS ARE ALREADY PRODUCING SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS WELL TO THE NORTH OF ITS PRESENT LOCATION IN SOUTHWEST
ARKANSAS. WIDESPREAD SUBSTANTIAL RAINFALL IS EXPECTED WITH THIS
SYSTEM FROM NOW THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT. EVEN THOUGH DRY SOIL AND
MODERATE RAINFALL RATES SHOULD LIMIT ANY WIDESPREAD FLOODING
PROBLEMS...SMALLER AREAS OF HEAVY RAIN OVER SHORTER PERIODS WILL BE
MONITORED FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF LOCAL FLOODING.
0 likes   

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10383 Postby BigB0882 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:18 am

Just a quick post to say I made it through! It wasn't fun and it still isn't but things are going to get better. Our power came back on at 9 pm last night only to go out again at 4 am as a small storm rolled through. :(
0 likes   

RainWind

#10384 Postby RainWind » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:48 am

A quick note to say hello! Made it through ok, still no power, so many trees down in my area that I don't think we will have power too soon. Grateful though that family is ok. Thanks for all the prayers, they were felt while we were watching the oak trees falling around us and not on us!
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10385 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:32 am

No longer a tropical depression. Absorbed by the front.

Good riddance Gustav! The front will give you a slow and painful death!!! And you WON'T be back in 2014 I am sure!

WTNT32 KWNH 041517
TCPAT2

PUBLIC ADVISORY NUMBER 44 FOR FORMER TROPICAL DEPRESSION GUSTAV
NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD AL072008
1000 AM CDT THU SEP 4 2008

...GUSTAV BECOMING EXTRATROPICAL...
0 likes   

RainWind

#10386 Postby RainWind » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:56 am

I just have to commend the NHC for nailing the forecast for this storm. I mean how much more accurate can they get! You know, I am praying for Florida, that Ike does not hit. I can't imagine getting hit by a Cat 3,4 or 5, because a Cat 1 sure sucked! So, those of you who are watching Ike, discuss away, but, if the NHC says it is coming your way, even 5 days out, you had better prepare! RW
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#10387 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:28 pm

RainWind wrote:I just have to commend the NHC for nailing the forecast for this storm. I mean how much more accurate can they get! You know, I am praying for Florida, that Ike does not hit. I can't imagine getting hit by a Cat 3,4 or 5, because a Cat 1 sure sucked! So, those of you who are watching Ike, discuss away, but, if the NHC says it is coming your way, even 5 days out, you had better prepare! RW

If you want to know what a monster hurricane can do, look at the damage in western Cuba - they were hit by a strong Cat 4 (almost Cat 5).
0 likes   

RainWind

#10388 Postby RainWind » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:30 pm

I can't imagine the horror of it. With no tv and very little in the way of radio, it was hard to keep up with what happened in Cuba when Gustav went through. I am sad to hear that it was bad. RW
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10389 Postby Steve » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:59 am

Just wanted to say hey. We went to Austin then Eunice so I've been out of the loop since last Saturday. I have no idea what any other storms are doing and have no idea what happened outside of where I've been in the aftermath of Gustav. Austin was great, as always, and we drove to Eunice Wed. night. Power was down in that area, and we caught one of the last rain bands coming through - twice - trying to find something to eat or open in LC, Jennings and SW LA. Was nasty. Drove to the Bayou yesterday to see a bunch of downed trees, a few flipped mobile homes, broken and fallen power poles, roof damage and broken signs and billboards. We don't have power but it's slowly being restored in the Central Lafourche Parish area. They have the water plant up and running and the hospital in Raceland along with a few gas stations, so it's not unbearable. We don't have a generator but decided to stay at the house last night anyway. While certainly hot, we all slept like babies anyway glad to be back home. Came to work today and the City did okay. Power is being restored in western Orleans and some of Metairie, but it's going to take a while. We don't really care as the house had no damage except for a little peeling on some old soffet and facia boards. We picked up the tree limbs and put them to the curb along with other debris.

Mostly it looks like Cat 1 type damage which is, I'm sure, about what we had down that way. Maybe further south in Port Fourchon, Grand Isle, Golden Meadow and Leeville things are worse. I haven't been down that way yet.

Hope everyone else made out okay except for minor inconveniences. Talk to you guys soon.

Steve
0 likes   

shah8
Category 1
Category 1

#10390 Postby shah8 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:16 pm

NOW is the time to feel pity for the poor Haitians!
500+ are dead.
0 likes   

Chacor
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#10391 Postby Chacor » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:54 pm

shah8 wrote:NOW is the time to feel pity for the poor Haitians!
500+ are dead.

From Hanna. Gustav only killed 80 (unfortunately I have to use 'only') in Haiti.

For the record, an unofficial weather station in Pinar del Rio, Cuba, reportedly recorded a 340 km/h (184 knot) gust during Gustav. Amazing.
0 likes   

Return to “2008”