ATL: IKE Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#13501 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:47 pm

Is Ike still around? From my view, it seemed to have been absorbed by another system, but according to Iceland's weather office, Ike indeed still exists as a distinct system (like Bertha did)...

BTW, 30 m/s is about 67 mph - almost hurricane force.

----------------------------------------

Fierce Storm Hits Southwest Iceland
Search and rescue teams were called out in many places in southwest Iceland last night because of a full-blown rainstorm. The Capital Region Fire Department helped people cope with leaks and bind loose objects that were blowing away in the storm.

At Reykjavík Domestic Airport a small airplane blew into a fence. The weather did not, however, delay international flights yesterday, Morgunbladid reports.

Ólafsvík on Snaefellsnes peninsula suffered from heavy downpour with the wind-speed reaching 30 meters per second. At the harbor, boat owners were busy fastening their vessels to shore.

In the neighboring town of Hellissandur, emergency services were called out because of roofing slates that were coming loose. That was also the case in the Sudurnes region on Reykjanes peninsula and in the capital region.

In Adalstraeti in downtown Reykjavík emergency services prevented a tent erected for an archeological excavation from blowing away.

Meteorologists at the Icelandic Meteorological Office say the storm was caused by an exceptionally deep depression which was accompanied by the remains of Hurricane Ike.

The storm is expected to travel across east Iceland today.

http://www.icelandreview.com/icelandrev ... _id=312151
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

Re: ATL: IKE Discussion

#13502 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:53 pm

I just got lights and interweb at the house. I will get to watch sports on TV this weekend!
0 likes   

mpic
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: IKE Discussion

#13503 Postby mpic » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:00 pm

Just got home and we were spared from the storm surge...mystery to me! Wind got us bad, but my damage is minor...got a "nasty" from a big limb on my truck while evacuating in Splendora, but really minor. Splendora w/o phone, elec, water and FEMA. Dickinson mostly has all.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#13504 Postby CajunMama » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:18 am

We're continuing the ike discussion in the aftermath & recovery forum.

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=103233
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#13505 Postby HURAKAN » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:11 pm

A picture of the river that runs through Guanajay, Cuba (were I was born) after Hurricane Ike.

Typical river level
0 likes   

Return to “2008”