ATL: IKE Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Carrie
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Re: ATL IKE: Remmants - Discussion

#13421 Postby Carrie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:37 pm

TreasureIslandFLGal wrote:Yeah, I absolutely love it here! However, we are approx. 4 feet above sea level and after seeing what has just become of Galveston and the surrounding coastal communities, I can only think of how easily that could have been us. Plus, most of the homes in our neighborhood are ground level, not on stilts or anything.

~Nikki~

Exactly. That's why I too would be sad. All of it, from Pier 60 to Pass-a-Grille. Fort DeSoto Park and Egmont Key. On and on. Gone. I could not imagine.

I am aware of what has happened and where. Texas also holds a big piece of my heart.

Prayers for all who are affected by the unimaginable.
Carrie
:)
0 likes   

jenmrk
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13422 Postby jenmrk » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:47 pm

jenmrk wrote:
I am not sure where to post this so if it is in the wrong forum I am sorry.
I am very hesitant to post this afriad that it may cause undo panic, but I am hoping that someone here may know something about this also.
I can not confirm this, but a deputy that my husband works with told him this afternoon that his mother is a manager for a Shell Gas station and when she called to order gas she was told to bag the pumps indefinitely, that Shell along with Tom Thumb and Walmart were boycotting the gas companies due to the fact that they were going to haft to pay .80 more per gallon , they are hoping this strike will force the Gas Industry to back off. They are not buying gas until they can buy it at a fair price.
Once more I can not confirm that this is true- I can say that here in Pensacola it has been very hard to find gas for the past few days, the Tom Thumb by my house has not had gas since Friday night.
I am not trying to cause a panic, I hardly ever post here but this seemed like it may be something that someone here can maybe verify. I know there was a post a while back of someone who's son worked for one of the oil co's.
Also- my thoughts and prayer go out to all IKE victims. I wish I could do more.

I don't know if this is true about the gas but I do know we have had gas over here in the Spanish Fort, Daphne, etc. area.

I really hope it's not, but he called my husband on his way home from the ECSO in Pensacola, he lives in Elberta, AL and he said every gas station that he passed has no gas and no signs up, including Circle K.
He is no the type to hype, lie or panic so it really does concern me. I guess if there is truth in it we will find out soon enough.
0 likes   

sbcc
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13423 Postby sbcc » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:48 pm

CharleySurvivor wrote:
Shoshana wrote:Another Gilchrist Tx picture from wunderground blog

Is the house still standing for real?
Looks like someone just pasted it on the pic as it looks in perfect condition.

I think it's the "hurricane-proof" house in Audobon Village, on the Gilchrist page of the Bolivar Chamber of Commerce site:

http://www.bolivarchamber.org/Gilchrist.aspx
0 likes   

stormy1970al
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13424 Postby stormy1970al » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:49 pm

jenmrk wrote:jenmrk wrote:
I am not sure where to post this so if it is in the wrong forum I am sorry.
I am very hesitant to post this afriad that it may cause undo panic, but I am hoping that someone here may know something about this also.
I can not confirm this, but a deputy that my husband works with told him this afternoon that his mother is a manager for a Shell Gas station and when she called to order gas she was told to bag the pumps indefinitely, that Shell along with Tom Thumb and Walmart were boycotting the gas companies due to the fact that they were going to haft to pay .80 more per gallon , they are hoping this strike will force the Gas Industry to back off. They are not buying gas until they can buy it at a fair price.
Once more I can not confirm that this is true- I can say that here in Pensacola it has been very hard to find gas for the past few days, the Tom Thumb by my house has not had gas since Friday night.
I am not trying to cause a panic, I hardly ever post here but this seemed like it may be something that someone here can maybe verify. I know there was a post a while back of someone who's son worked for one of the oil co's.

I don't know if this is true about the gas but I do know we have had gas over here in the Spanish Fort, Daphne, etc. area.

I really hope it's not, but he called my husband on his way home from the ECSO in Pensacola, he lives in Elberta, AL and he said every gas station that he passed has no gas and no signs up, including Circle K.
He is no the type to hype, lie or panic so it really does concern me. I guess if there is truth in it we will find out soon enough.

I will try to see what I can find out about this for you. I haven't heard this but it could be that I have been at work all day.

After looking at our local news here in Alabama I found this...
http://tinyurl.com/6hkqrh

http://tinyurl.com/6xytjq
0 likes   

jenmrk
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13425 Postby jenmrk » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:57 pm

Thanks, I really did hesitate to even post, but it really has me worried. A boycott can be a great thing but at the same time for those trying to get gas for generators in Texas it may not be the best timimg. I know from Ivan a part of what they are going through and I can't imagine this on top of all of that. I just can't get some of these images out of my mind of the destruction. I would be there in a heart beat to help if I could. I just hope that the recovery gets going and they can soon begin to rebuild.
0 likes   

Carrie
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#13426 Postby Carrie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:09 pm

My usual gas station in Southern WI is also refusing to purchase more gas at this point. As of Saturday, to purchase more gas for them would be $4.09. I understand that to have been the wholesale price around here. (again, as of Saturday) Also I think WI has a 6% profit law, gas stations have to show 6% profit to avoid price wars and undercutting.

I did not see any effects from Ike here. I did see some rain from Lowell. It was weird to see the winds in the Browns game last night! And the highlights from the Bengals game earlier...
0 likes   

Raebie
Category 3
Category 3

#13427 Postby Raebie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:12 pm

"I am not sure where to post this so if it is in the wrong forum I am sorry.
Also- my thoughts and prayer go out to all IKE victims. I wish I could do more."

I don't know if it's true either, but I will tell you that the Shell stations here in Charlotte aren't being refuled. I've only been able to find Exxon stations with gas...and they seem to be refuling regularly.
0 likes   

jenmrk
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13428 Postby jenmrk » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:18 pm

I go into work tonight at 10:00 pm, I am going to stop at the Tom Thumb and ask about this, the lady that works there will know and she is a very big talker so maybe I can get something out of her
I am off to take a quick nap, Thanks for the info.
I will update tomorrow if I can find out anything.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#13429 Postby Stephanie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:35 pm

CajunMama wrote:The gilcrest picture reminded me of cameron parish after rita hit. Nothing left. :(

There's been a few areas that have been virtually wiped off the map, but Gilchrist takes the cake, IMHO.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#13430 Postby CrazyC83 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:40 pm

HURAKAN wrote:Image

Ike's remains!

Not much left. One thing though, the NRL still is calling it Ike so it hasn't merged into anything yet.
0 likes   

Rod Hagen
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13431 Postby Rod Hagen » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:51 pm

sbcc wrote:
I think it's the "hurricane-proof" house in Audobon Village, on the Gilchrist page of the Bolivar Chamber of Commerce site:

http://www.bolivarchamber.org/Gilchrist.aspx

I think you are right, sbcc. My guess, too, is that the black object on the water edge is the much vaunted "geotube" discussed at http://www.texasgulfcoastonline.com/por ... insula.pdf and http://www.texasgulfcoastonline.com/por ... beNews.pdf

Doesn't look like it has protected much else, unfortunately.

Cheers

Rod
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#13432 Postby tolakram » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:53 pm

As far as the gas supply and boycott rumors go, I don't think it's true.

Around here we're having issues getting gas to the stations because the pumping stations don't have power. Imagine all the issues in Texas!

If a station wants to boycott gas because they can't make or break even that's their prerogative, but without gas you won't have snack sales and without snack sales they won't be in business very long. That's why I don't think the rumor is true. When these kinds of events happen you have people who enjoy creating panic (not directed at the original poster) which is how these rumors get started. A 'run on the gas station' will deplete the supply and cause more issues.
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13433 Postby O Town » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:02 pm

jenmrk wrote:I am not sure where to post this so if it is in the wrong forum I am sorry.

I heard on the news today the opposite, that gas stations are holding out to buy gas because if they wait till the price goes up they can make more money than if they fill the tanks now. They also said they can't confirm this but thats what they had heard. They also said there is not a gas shortage but people panicking and all running to the pumps to fill up is causing some gas stations to run out before they can be filled again. The supply can't keep up with the demand. So if everyone just goes about getting gas as usual there shouldn't be a problem. I have been on E for 2 days now, I will be putting in my normal $30-$40 tomorrow. Haven't noticed a problem at all at our local HESS, and prices today were about 3.80.

Heres a great site about gas, enter your zip code and all gas stations in your area pop up.
I didn't realize but alot of stations around my house have N/A under Plus, Premium and Diesel.
http://autos.msn.com/everyday/GasStatio ... &x=12&y=13
0 likes   

jenmrk
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13434 Postby jenmrk » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:04 pm

I really hope that you are right and that is all rumor. I appreciate you not thinking I was trying to create panic, I was afraid someone here may think that. I do think there are many rumors floating around, this just came from someone that I know personally and trust , that is why I gave it some thought.
0 likes   

Windtalker1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13435 Postby Windtalker1 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:10 pm

jenmrk wrote:I really hope that you are right and that is all rumor. I appreciate you not thinking I was trying to create panic, I was afraid someone here may think that. I do think there are many rumors floating around, this just came from someone that I know personally and trust , that is why I gave it some thought.

I don't know about elsewhere, but Thursday Night I filled up my gas tank at a locl BP here in Shelbyville TN and paid 3.53 per Gallon. I met friends for a couple drinks later that night and 1 friend worked for BP. They received a fax that evening that informed them that all BP's will be raising their Gas to 4.29 per gallon by next Thursday 9/18. By Friday morning gas at the same BP I just Filled up at was at 3.99 per gallon, a .47 cent increase. Today they are at 4.09, not far from the 4.29 that was mentioned in the fax.
0 likes   

yzerfan
Category 2
Category 2

#13436 Postby yzerfan » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:13 pm

The version of the rumor I've heard is that station owners are holding off on the next order because the wholesale price is so high that they don't want to deal with the inevitable price-gouging allegation paperwork and investigation, even if they're selling said gas at their wholesale price.
0 likes   

Sihara
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13437 Postby Sihara » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:56 pm

This isn't a rumor: yesterday we stopped at Circle K to get a few things (fortunately not gas) and noticed all pumps were bagged. Same thing over at Racetrac we were told. We asked why. The answer was a lengthy complaint about the amount wholesalers were charging and that after the price of gas had decreased, they'd still have a supply they'd had to pay the inflated price for.

I suspect there's a lot of truth to what yzerfan said also, that they don't want to have to deal with possible price-gounging investigations.

On the subject of Ike's devastation, the pictures that are coming out of TX are appalling. The suffering there is bound to go on a long time. And tonight city managers were telling coastal residents, "Don't come back now." There are no services etc. It's just heartbreaking seeing all the homes and businesses trashed like that. Piles of rubble where a community used to be. So very sad.
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13438 Postby O Town » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:10 pm

You know I was wondering if all the fish would make it back into the gulf or rivers.
I was watching some guy reporting from a flooded parking lot in TX and as he was speaking a fish jumped behind him. Thats got to be a nasty smell right about now, another thing alot of people that stayed didn't expect or think about happening.
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#13439 Postby JonathanBelles » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:03 pm

0 likes   

Carrie
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Re:

#13440 Postby Carrie » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:41 am

yzerfan wrote:The version of the rumor I've heard is that station owners are holding off on the next order because the wholesale price is so high that they don't want to deal with the inevitable price-gouging allegation paperwork and investigation, even if they're selling said gas at their wholesale price.

That's the case at my locally-owned gas station.
0 likes   

Return to “2008”