ATL: IKE Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Message
Author
Ed Mahmoud

Re: Re:

#13461 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:55 pm

jinftl wrote:absolutely right....if anything, i should have said the 'more recent and historically inaccurate belief' only some have expressed...


Shoshana wrote:
jinftl wrote:<respectfully snipped>

This storm challenged alot of myths about where storms can hit in september

<also respectfully snipped>


Not arguing and I understand what you're saying but some of the most infamous hurricanes have hit Texas in September (1900 Sept 8, Carla Sept 11, now Ike Sept 13) so I'm not sure how much of a myth it is that Texas doesn't get hit in September.



Who ever said hurricanes don't hit Texas in September? Certainly wasn't me.


Now, October, one minimal Cat 1, Jerry in 1989, in six decades, hurricanes are darned rare in October, but in a normal September, the season isn't over yet.


I will say, Texas is not the hurricane magnet Florida is, and Florida's season goes right through November, as Kate in 1985 showed.
0 likes   

jinftl
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 4308
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:47 pm
Location: fort lauderdale, fl

Re: Re:

#13462 Postby jinftl » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:09 pm

Nope....you see general areas of likelihood of formation and resulting tracks for different points in the season....but these are not cast in stone at all.

in general, oct/nov storms are florida threats.....no guarantees to that either.....esp in areas where the water will stay at least marginally warm enough to support a storm.

Ed Mahmoud wrote:
jinftl wrote:absolutely right....if anything, i should have said the 'more recent and historically inaccurate belief' only some have expressed...





Who ever said hurricanes don't hit Texas in September? Certainly wasn't me.


Now, October, one minimal Cat 1, Jerry in 1989, in six decades, hurricanes are darned rare in October, but in a normal September, the season isn't over yet.


I will say, Texas is not the hurricane magnet Florida is, and Florida's season goes right through November, as Kate in 1985 showed.
0 likes   

MiamiensisWx

#13463 Postby MiamiensisWx » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:25 pm

Does anyone have elderly members/citizens in the affected regions? Since my 80+ year old grandmother resides in my family, I'm definitely too familiar with the effects of hurricanes on older citizens... fortunately, my grandmother's health has always been adept for her age, but the stress, lack of electricity, and evacuation processes are nightmares for many elders. The impact on the various segments of senior citizens (including their health, safety, etc.) is often overlooked in the aftermath of a tropical cyclone impact...
0 likes   

User avatar
Chacor
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 10231
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:43 pm
Location: Singapore

#13464 Postby Chacor » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:49 pm

Cuban storms damage 'worst ever'

Hurricanes Gustav and Ike have between them inflicted the worst storm damage in Cuba's history, the government says.

The storms - which hit within two weeks of each other - have caused some $5bn (£2.8bn) of damage, affecting nearly 450,000 homes, officials said.

At least 200,000 Cubans lost their homes and crops have been destroyed.

Analysts say the impact of the storms will make it difficult for President Raul Castro to fulfill his pledge to improve living conditions in Cuba.

The Cuban sugar ministry had already reported that Hurricane Ike had destroyed 340,000 hectares of sugar cane - nearly half the annual crop.

The government presented its preliminary report on the extent of the storm damage on Cuban state TV on Monday.

Gustav and Ike were described as "without a doubt" the most devastating hurricanes ever to have hit Cuba.

"Building and rehabilitating will mean financial investments and resources truly worth multi-millions and will require years of tense work," the report said.

As well as some 200,000 people left homeless, hundreds of thousands more may need temporary accommodation while repairs are carried out.

The storms also damaged Cuba's infrastructure, including its power grid, road network, schools and hospitals.

Gustav hit Cuba on 30 August before carrying on across the Gulf of Mexico and making landfall near the US city of New Orleans.

Just over a week later, Ike first pounded Cuba's eastern coast and then made a second landfall in the western Pinar del Rio region. The capital, Havana, suffered minor damage.

On Monday, the US government said it had raised its initial offer of $100,000 aid for Cuban hurricane victims to up to $5m, but Cuba had rejected it.

Cuban state television, quoting a diplomatic cable, said that the government had responded that Cuba "could not accept a gift" while under a US embargo.

The Cuban government had asked the US to consider lifting its 46-year-old trade embargo for at least six months to allow it to buy materials needed for reconstruction, state TV reported.

Washington has said it will not change its policy on the embargo, imposed on Cuba since 1962, but will give some aid to non-governmental organisations that are helping Cubans.

Russia, Spain and Brazil have already sent planes carrying humanitarian aid and more is expected from regional ally Venezuela.
0 likes   

User avatar
KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 2750
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:23 pm
Location: League City, Texas

Re: ATL IKE: Remmants - Discussion

#13465 Postby KatDaddy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:54 pm

Power back out in Pearland. Here are a few photos to share.


Hurricane IKE

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 120552.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 130016.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 130018.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 130021.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 130033.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 130038.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 130044.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 130045.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 130046.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 130051.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 130052.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 130063.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 130074.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 140129.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 140132.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 140139.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 150159.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 150169.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 150178.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 150182.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 150204.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 150206.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 150210.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 150214.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 150232.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 150240.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 160269.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 160273.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 160279.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 160280.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 160291.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 0318-1.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 0323-1.jpg
0 likes   

jinftl
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 4308
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:47 pm
Location: fort lauderdale, fl

Re:

#13466 Postby jinftl » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:54 pm

Without land interaction with Cuba, i can only imagine that storms like fay, gustav, and ike may have been even stronger when they made their u.s. landfalls.

Chacor wrote:Cuban storms damage 'worst ever'

Hurricanes Gustav and Ike have between them inflicted the worst storm damage in Cuba's history, the government says.

The storms - which hit within two weeks of each other - have caused some $5bn (£2.8bn) of damage, affecting nearly 450,000 homes, officials said.

At least 200,000 Cubans lost their homes and crops have been destroyed.

Analysts say the impact of the storms will make it difficult for President Raul Castro to fulfill his pledge to improve living conditions in Cuba.

The Cuban sugar ministry had already reported that Hurricane Ike had destroyed 340,000 hectares of sugar cane - nearly half the annual crop.

The government presented its preliminary report on the extent of the storm damage on Cuban state TV on Monday.

Gustav and Ike were described as "without a doubt" the most devastating hurricanes ever to have hit Cuba.

"Building and rehabilitating will mean financial investments and resources truly worth multi-millions and will require years of tense work," the report said.

As well as some 200,000 people left homeless, hundreds of thousands more may need temporary accommodation while repairs are carried out.

The storms also damaged Cuba's infrastructure, including its power grid, road network, schools and hospitals.

Gustav hit Cuba on 30 August before carrying on across the Gulf of Mexico and making landfall near the US city of New Orleans.

Just over a week later, Ike first pounded Cuba's eastern coast and then made a second landfall in the western Pinar del Rio region. The capital, Havana, suffered minor damage.

On Monday, the US government said it had raised its initial offer of $100,000 aid for Cuban hurricane victims to up to $5m, but Cuba had rejected it.

Cuban state television, quoting a diplomatic cable, said that the government had responded that Cuba "could not accept a gift" while under a US embargo.

The Cuban government had asked the US to consider lifting its 46-year-old trade embargo for at least six months to allow it to buy materials needed for reconstruction, state TV reported.

Washington has said it will not change its policy on the embargo, imposed on Cuba since 1962, but will give some aid to non-governmental organisations that are helping Cubans.

Russia, Spain and Brazil have already sent planes carrying humanitarian aid and more is expected from regional ally Venezuela.
0 likes   

User avatar
fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 3176
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:29 am
Location: Lake Worth, FL

Re: Re:

#13467 Postby fci » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:05 pm

Ed Mahmoud wrote:
jinftl wrote:absolutely right....if anything, i should have said the 'more recent and historically inaccurate belief' only some have expressed...



Not arguing and I understand what you're saying but some of the most infamous hurricanes have hit Texas in September (1900 Sept 8, Carla Sept 11, now Ike Sept 13) so I'm not sure how much of a myth it is that Texas doesn't get hit in September.



Who ever said hurricanes don't hit Texas in September? Certainly wasn't me.


Now, October, one minimal Cat 1, Jerry in 1989, in six decades, hurricanes are darned rare in October, but in a normal September, the season isn't over yet.


I will say, Texas is not the hurricane magnet Florida is, and Florida's season goes right through November, as Kate in 1985 showed.

Seems like the magnet shifted TO Texas this season.

Ed, as long as you are implying that Texas would not get a storm in October and Florida would, I am getting more and more confident that the opposite will hold true.

Your no storms in Texas in September proclamation made in the other thread has opened you up to me as a reverse-soothsayer (if you know what I mean) 8-)

(Now if you could predict that the Dolphins WILL NOT win a game this season, it would be appreciated given your track record in predictions!!!) 8-)
0 likes   

User avatar
stormy1970al
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 158
Age: 48
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: Fairhope AL

Re:

#13468 Postby stormy1970al » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:18 pm

MiamiensisWx wrote:Does anyone have elderly members/citizens in the affected regions? Since my 80+ year old grandmother resides in my family, I'm definitely too familiar with the effects of hurricanes on older citizens... fortunately, my grandmother's health has always been adept for her age, but the stress, lack of electricity, and evacuation processes are nightmares for many elders. The impact on the various segments of senior citizens (including their health, safety, etc.) is often overlooked in the aftermath of a tropical cyclone impact...


My great aunt is 95 years old. She resides in a nursing home in Beaumont, TX. Her son lives in Beaumont. I don't believe they have brought her back from Fort Worth yet.
0 likes   

Rod Hagen
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:22 am
Location: Lives in Melbourne, works in N Queensland

Re: ATL IKE: Remmants - Discussion

#13469 Postby Rod Hagen » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:24 pm

artist wrote:
Not good news at all. Do you have a link? I had actually heard that they had rescued the man and the tiger.



Haven't seen the "follow-up", but the original, which differs in some details, is at http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/ ... 2aecc.html

Cheers

Rod
0 likes   

User avatar
Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 5530
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:41 pm
Location: NOT a State-caster

#13470 Postby Steve » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:02 pm

Great photos Kat, but you gotta 86 those jorts. :)

Steve
0 likes   

leenita
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: ohio

News From Ohio

#13471 Postby leenita » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:12 pm

This may be old news but we had been without power since Saturday afternoon until this morning. The govenor has issued a State of Emergency here. My girls have not gone to school this week yet. I think it would be funny ironic not funny ha-ha if all of our school calamity days were used in Ohio due to a hurricane not due to snow :) ! There are still thousands of people just in central Ohio without electicity and the wind damage is bad but we are blessed. Texas is in our thoughts and prayers!




Ohio Storm Related Deaths
Monday, September 15, 2008 2:46 PM
Print StoryE-mail StorySunday's wind storm caused by remnants of Hurricane Ike killed at least six people in Ohio.

Winds gusting up to 78 mph ripped roofs from buildings and blocked roadways across the state, with southwest and central Ohio bearing the brunt of the storm's force, according to the National Weather Service.

"What we experienced was a hurricane-force wind gust," said meteorologist Myron Padgett at the National Weather Service in Wilmington.

A falling tree killed two motorcyclists in Hueston Woods State Park in southwest Ohio, authorities said. A 12-year-old boy near Cleveland was hit by a tree branch and died of severe head injuries, Lorain County Coroner Paul Matus said.

And a woman died in the Cincinnati suburb of Mt. Healthy when a tree fell through the roof of her home.

A contractor was elecrocuted in Scioto Village Youth Facility.

And ONN affiliate WBNS in Columbus also is reporting that the father of missing Ohio State student Brian Shaffer was killed Sunday night after a tree fell on him outside his home.

Randy Shaffer spent the last two years finding information about his son, Brian, who disappeared on April 1, 2006, at the Ugly Tuna Saloona, located near the Ohio State campus.

For the latest information on the storm and power outages, keep checking back to ONNtv.com
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 5183
Age: 44
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:37 pm
Location: Orlando, Florida 28°35'35"N 81°22'55"W

Re:

#13472 Postby O Town » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:31 pm

Steve wrote:Great photos Kat, but you gotta 86 those jorts. :)

Steve

Aw man, cut him some slack. :lol:
0 likes   

Raebie
Category 2
Category 2
Posts: 677
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:00 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re:

#13473 Postby Raebie » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:12 pm

Steve wrote:Great photos Kat, but you gotta 86 those jorts. :)

Steve


Are you kidding me? The jorts are the best part! Sweet legs, Daddy!

:lol:
0 likes   

HurricaneRobert
Category 3
Category 3
Posts: 812
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 9:31 pm

Re: Re:

#13474 Postby HurricaneRobert » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:27 pm

Ed Mahmoud wrote:Now, October, one minimal Cat 1, Jerry in 1989, in six decades, hurricanes are darned rare in October, but in a normal September, the season isn't over yet.


I will say, Texas is not the hurricane magnet Florida is, and Florida's season goes right through November, as Kate in 1985 showed.


Great. Thanks to Ed's prediction, there's going to be a hurricane in Texas this October. :roll:
0 likes   

User avatar
southerngale
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive
Posts: 27337
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:27 am
Location: Southeast Texas (Beaumont area)

Re: Re:

#13475 Postby southerngale » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:33 pm

Shoshana wrote:
jinftl wrote:<respectfully snipped>

This storm challenged alot of myths about where storms can hit in september

<also respectfully snipped>


Not arguing and I understand what you're saying but some of the most infamous hurricanes have hit Texas in September (1900 Sept 8, Carla Sept 11, now Ike Sept 13) so I'm not sure how much of a myth it is that Texas doesn't get hit in September.


And Rita hit in September as well... even later, on September 24th. I remember that year people thinking Texas' season was pretty much over earlier in September. Then along came Rita... and devastated Southeast Texas, changing lives forever. I'll never the buy the "Texas is over" comments early on.. one of the reasons I thought Ed's thread was premature way back in August.
0 likes   

User avatar
southerngale
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive
Posts: 27337
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:27 am
Location: Southeast Texas (Beaumont area)

Re: Re:

#13476 Postby southerngale » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:51 pm

fci wrote:Seems like the magnet shifted TO Texas this season.

Ed, as long as you are implying that Texas would not get a storm in October and Florida would, I am getting more and more confident that the opposite will hold true.

Your no storms in Texas in September proclamation made in the other thread has opened you up to me as a reverse-soothsayer (if you know what I mean) 8-)

(Now if you could predict that the Dolphins WILL NOT win a game this season, it would be appreciated given your track record in predictions!!!) 8-)


No kidding. I hear a lot of people talking about moving away from here... some of my family included. Everyone is just sick of hurricanes. We've had 3 hurricanes (2 of them devastating, shutting down the entire area) plus a tropical storm in less than 3 years. Before that, TS Allison (flood event) in 2001 and I think before that, you have to go back to 1986 for Hurricane Bonnie. Just crazy activity lately! And not to mention they called for a mandatory evacuation for Gustav (because they had to make the call so early), so a lot of people left for that (I didn't leave... was just watching it closely). Just evacuating costs a lot of money... add all the destruction to homes and businesses and geesh... we need a break in a bad way. This is ridiculous. I have always been fascinated by hurricanes, but I would be quite pleased if I never saw another one form again.

Ok, sorry... I started rambling. I think I'm just emotionally exhausted.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 26852
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Deep South, for the first time!

Re: ATL IKE: Remmants - Discussion

#13477 Postby CrazyC83 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:17 pm

One legacy Ike might keep: from my count, it could be one of the largest (if not the largest) power losses ever by a US natural disaster.

Losses known by state at one point or another:

Texas: 4,500,000 (estimated)
Ohio: 1,591,000 in AEP, Duke and FirstEnergy areas, probably about 1,800,000 statewide (unknown exact number)
Indiana: 350,000
Kentucky: 301,000 in Louisville, probably about 600,000 statewide (unknown exact number)
Louisiana: 200,000 (estimated)
Arkansas: 200,000
Pennsylvania: 180,000 in the western part, probably about 220,000 statewide
New York: 100,000
Missouri: 85,000
Illinois: 49,000
West Virginia: 32,000

Outages in Tennessee, Mississippi, Oklahoma and other states (if any) are unknown. The total likely will add up to between 8 and 8.5 million customers!
0 likes   

DIwestender
Tropical Low
Tropical Low
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:56 pm
Location: Dauphin Island, AL

Re: ATL IKE: Remmants - Discussion

#13478 Postby DIwestender » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:43 pm

You can add in a couple thousand outages on the coast of Alabama!
0 likes   

User avatar
Annie Oakley
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1099
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:54 pm
Location: Texas

#13479 Postby Annie Oakley » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:55 pm

Okay-need some help here and some good advice. Have been deployed to H-town-and it includes The Third Ward area-visiting a shelter there. Delicacy forbids me from posting other pertinant info-I guess my question is what can I expect?? I know this is too general a question....but any advice would be taken under advisement.....thanks in advance.
0 likes   

User avatar
Agua
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1110
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:54 pm
Location: Biloxi, Mississippi

Re: Re:

#13480 Postby Agua » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:59 pm

southerngale wrote:
Ok, sorry... I started rambling. I think I'm just emotionally exhausted.

That's just fine, you vent all you want. You're truly living the life of a refugee at this point and a storm like Ike disrupts the victims lives as much as any battle disrupts communities caught in the middle. So just vent any time you want and we're here to read and, hopefully, give ya a little comfort.
0 likes   


Return to “2008”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest