ATL GUSTAV: Prep/Obs - US Gulf Coast

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Diva
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Gustav Preparations and Observations - US Gulf Coast

#21 Postby Diva » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:46 am

southerngale wrote:
vbhoutex wrote:Lots of good information here. Thanks everyone.

I saw on the news at 10 pm here in Houston that a lot of LA residents are already leaving and heading into TX causing traffic jam on I-10. I thought LA evacs were to go north this time. I would presume since no mandatory has started in LA and some are panicing there is no directing of the evacuees at this time and that may be what is causing the traffic jam.

Nooooooo - it's horrible just getting everyone here out. Go north, everyone.

PLEASE....go north people!
0 likes   

dizzyfish
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby dizzyfish » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:11 am

Request that this be stickied so our friends and neighbors on the gulf coast can find this info easier.

BTW I just heard on t.v. that they are starting mandatory evac in NO tomorrow morning.
0 likes   

Janie2006
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby Janie2006 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:40 am

As anticipated, a state of emergency has been proclaimed for Hancock, Harrison and now Jackson counties along the Mississippi coast. Here are the details for the Harrison County Transportation Plan for those unable to evacuate from recommended areas due to a lack of transportation:

- In lieu of today’s declaration of a State of Emergency for Harrison County, the Harrison County Emergency Management Agency will enact the Transportation Plan beginning on Sunday.

All persons that require transportation assistance are highly recommended to pre-register with the Coastal Transit Authority (CTA) at 228.896.8080 extension 0 or online at http://www.CoastTransit.com .
The pre-registration is easy, just answer a few questions such as name, address, phone number, type of transportation required and any special needs that you may have (medical and/or pets).

Once an evacuation notice is issued, all persons that require transportation assistance must call the Coastal Transit Authority (CTA) at 228.896.8080 extension 0 or online at http://www.CoastTransit.com to confirm the need transportation assistance. Transport information will be available in Spanish and Vietnamese. CTA will attempt to contact the disabled and elderly who have pre-registered.

Once notified of the evacuation order, CTA will provide community pick up and curb side pick up for out-of-town transportation. An out of town area will be established where MEMA will transport coast residents and pets to a shelter in Jackson (Hinds County) where remaining until it is safe to return. Buses will be provided for the return trip from Jackson.

On Sunday, the CTA will begin curb side pick up of all registered persons at 1 pm and will conclude at 6 pm. CTA will transport these persons as well as the persons from the designated Community Pick up Points to the MEMA designated out-of-town staging area for further transport to shelters in Jackson.

For additional information on the Coastal Transit Authorities plan, designated pick up points, and rules of transport (i.e. baggage, pets, etc.) you may call 228.896.8080 extension 0 or go online at http://www.CoastTransit.com.
0 likes   

Kennethb
Category 2
Category 2

#24 Postby Kennethb » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:58 am

A very clear, tranquil, calm, humid, sultry morning here in Baton Rouge this morning.

Perhaps similiar to what Issac experienced in 1900?
0 likes   

Janie2006
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby Janie2006 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:12 am

dizzyfish wrote:BTW I just heard on t.v. that they are starting mandatory evac in NO tomorrow morning.

From WWL.com:

Mandatory Louisiana Parish evacutions: Lafourche, St. Bernard (possibly beginning at 4 p.m. today), Terrebonne (effective at 4 p.m. today), Plaquemines (effective at noon today).

Voluntary Louisiana Parish evacuations: St. John

Evacuations Possible: Jefferson, Orleans. Decisions about mandatory evacuations could be made today for New Orleans. Jefferson Parish will give 60 hours notification should it order an evcuation. The city of New Orleans has put its assisted evacuation program into effect starting at 8 a.m. St. Charles parish also has its assisted evacuation plan in effect.
0 likes   

Senobia
Category 1
Category 1

#26 Postby Senobia » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:34 am

For people who's evacuation routes will take them through Houston, this is a site http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/cctv/transtar/ where you can view traffic cams of all the freeways and such in the Houston area.
0 likes   

crazycajuncane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#27 Postby crazycajuncane » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:57 am

I saw a ticker on KLFY TV 10 about an accident on the Basin Bridge on 1-10 between Lafayette and Baton Rouge headed eastbound. Not good this early in the game. Be careful out on the roads all!
0 likes   

TexWx
Category 1
Category 1

#28 Postby TexWx » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:23 am

Lots of good links and news information here....

http://crownweather.com/gustav.html
0 likes   

cajungal
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Schriever, Louisiana (60 miles southwest of New Orleans)

#29 Postby cajungal » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:41 pm

I live in northern Terrebonne Parish. We are boarding up as we speak. We are riding this one out here in our home.
0 likes   

green eyed girl
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Question

#30 Postby green eyed girl » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:00 pm

I live in Slidell, which is right off of Lake Ponchartrain on the Northshore. Can someone tell me if the storm comes in where the NHC thinks it will, what kind of storm surge can we realistically expect in Slidell? Thanks in advance for your opinions.
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#31 Postby gboudx » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:03 pm

What is WWL showing you? I was watching their streaming broadcast this morning and Buchtel had a surge graphic up for the entire La/Miss Gulf coast. Unfortunately, I don't remember what she put up.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#32 Postby southerngale » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:23 pm

Special needs and volunteer evacuation going on here today. They've ordered a mandatory evacuation for tomorrow. Everything is shutting down around here. They're evacuating St. Elizabeth and St. Mary Hospitals now.

We have reservations, but I'm sitting here thinking... I'm on the west side of the track and it's supposed to go in well east of here. If it goes in where it's forecast to, we may only get TS winds here. We already opted not to leave today... I guess we'll just keep watching for any westward trends, but as of right now, I think we'll just wait and see. Obviously, watching carefully though.

Mandatory Evacuation Effective 6 a.m. Sunday

August 30, 2008 - 11:35AM
Scott Lawrence

Emergency managers tell KFDM News they have called for a mandatory evacuation of Jefferson and Orange Counties due to the threat posed by Hurricane Gustav.

The evacuation will take effect at 6 a.m. Sunday and will be phased to include Sabine Pass, Port Arthur, Mid-County and Beaumont.

Hardin County officials are deciding whether to call for a mandatory evacuation.

We will have another update at 4 p.m. on KFDM Channel 6.

Kerry Cooper and Nicole Murray will give you the latest information at the top of the hour or earlier if necessary. We will also have regularly scheduled newscasts at 6 and 10PM.

If you are planning on evacuating and you need information on hotel accommodations the link is http://www.tacvbemergency.net.
0 likes   

Evac3
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: Question

#33 Postby Evac3 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:23 pm

green eyed girl wrote:I live in Slidell, which is right off of Lake Ponchartrain on the Northshore. Can someone tell me if the storm comes in where the NHC thinks it will, what kind of storm surge can we realistically expect in Slidell? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I would DEFINITELY NOT stay in Slidell. Please consider leaving.
0 likes   

green eyed girl
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#34 Postby green eyed girl » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:20 pm

We did leave evac3... went to Birmingham. We had 5 feet of water in the house for Katrina and was wondering what you thought for Gustav. Thanks!
0 likes   

therock1811
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby therock1811 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:52 pm

Jefferson Parish, LA - Voluntary evac of West Bank, East Bank should "use best judgement" - per wwltv.com - NO Mandatory evac LIKELY at 7pm also per WWL-TV
0 likes   

therock1811
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby therock1811 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:17 pm

Contraflow procedures are to be implemented at 4am SUNDAY morning per LA's Gov. Jindal on WGNO-TV...watch his briefing LIVE on abc26.com.

UPDATE: Per Ray Nagin, Orleans and Jefferson Parishes will likely do synchronized mandatory evac's at 8am.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby artist » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:21 pm

green eyed girl wrote:We did leave evac3... went to Birmingham. We had 5 feet of water in the house for Katrina and was wondering what you thought for Gustav. Thanks!
why take the chance? If you received 5 ft. of water last time, I would think it wouldn't be worth the chance it could happen again, unless the models were to suddenly change drastically between now and tomorrow morning, which is highly unlikely.
0 likes   

NativeFloridaGirl
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#38 Postby NativeFloridaGirl » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:33 pm

artist wrote:
green eyed girl wrote:We did leave evac3... went to Birmingham. We had 5 feet of water in the house for Katrina and was wondering what you thought for Gustav. Thanks!
why take the chance? If you received 5 ft. of water last time, I would think it wouldn't be worth the chance it could happen again, unless the models were to suddenly change drastically between now and tomorrow morning, which is highly unlikely.

I think you misunderstood. I understand her to say that she's currently evacuated to Alabama, but is concerned about what's going to happen to the home she had to leave behind and hopes someone can give her an idea of what may happen there.

I hope everything turns out ok for you green eyed girl!

~Beth~
0 likes   

mahmoo
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#39 Postby mahmoo » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:03 pm

Does anyone know of a website(s) that has status on Louisiana evacuation routes.....especially I10?
0 likes   

mahmoo
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#40 Postby mahmoo » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:07 pm

I urge you to err on the side of caution......get what you & your family absolutely have to have and hit the road....head north.....not east or west. If everything turns out okay and Gustav misses you somehow (in some form or fashion) you really didn't lose much.

It's hard to know what surprises these storms may bring with them.
0 likes   

Return to “2008”