MED: Small Cyclone in Mediterranean-Adriatic sea (TLC or MCV?)

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DanieleItalyRm
Category 1
Category 1

MED: Small Cyclone in Mediterranean-Adriatic sea (TLC or MCV?)

#1 Postby DanieleItalyRm » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:40 am

Hi all,
it might seem strange to someone that I often present some cases of probably tropical like ciclones lately.The point is that this kind of phenomena can occur even 3-4 times per year but they remain unknown to most people beacause they are not observed, studied, classified.Only Seldom they reach the status of Medicanes,but most of the times they remain status tropical storm or depression.

This little Storm caused severe thunderstorm and many waterspout over the Adriatic Italian coast and over the Adriatic Croazia coast..I don't think that it is a MCV-mesoscale convective vortex,because there was one little cutoff in the north Adriatic sea in 14 giugn.08,but i am 100% sure,i would be glad to know your opinions.
Sea surface was +24°C (13 giugn.08)

In 19 August 1976,one tropical like cyclone in central Adriatic sea,caused the most relevant floods,damages and deads in Emilia Romagna,Marche and Abbruzzo coasts... (generally in August the Adriatic sea surface temperature is between 26-29°C). This cyclone caused a famous tornado F3 in Puglia,the tornado di Sava.
Last edited by DanieleItalyRm on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

Re: MED: Small Cyclone in Mediterranean-Adriatic sea (TLC or MCV?)

#2 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:26 pm

Decent bet it is a tropical storm.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#3 Postby Derek Ortt » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:50 pm

I'd need to see a color enhanced IR to determine cloud top temp to determine if this is a TC or not
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#4 Postby senorpepr » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:59 pm

Not tropical in my opinion. I've been monitoring the system from the beginning--since it's affecting part of my AOR in my new job.

What we have is a filling Gulf of Genoa low. We're deep in the decaying stages now.

On a side note, this system provided plenty of heavy rain in the Po Valley a few days ago, and plenty of thunderstorms throughout Italy.
0 likes   

Return to “2008”