Error I have been receiving on and off for nearly two weeks

This forum is for making test posts, requesting assistance, and making suggestions

Moderator: S2k Moderators

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#41 Postby mf_dolphin » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:10 pm

Glad to help out Tom and I hope this fixes your problems :-)
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#42 Postby ColdFront77 » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:20 pm

I have had some problems when I intentionally clicked "Tools" again. But the errors haven't been repeative.

Also, while loading satellite loops twice... I got the "Send"/"Do Not Send" errors... but not as frequent as I was for nearly a month, prior to removing and installing IE 5.5, then IE 6.0 last night.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#43 Postby ColdFront77 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:06 pm

Problem continuing. I have come to the finalization that these errors have been occurring after I start loading satellite loops; I believe the same thing happens when I load other sites that have loops.

The only good thing about this is I am able to have one website opened. (most often being right here on Storm2K).

Perhaps it is a Java issue?

Why would this suddenly happen in the last four weeks?
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby mf_dolphin » Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:29 pm

Here's the link for the latest Java software from Sun Microsystems.

http://www.java.com/en/index.jsp

Try updating the Java and see if that doesn't fix the loops. Maybe one of the Microsoft updates overwrote your Java. :-)
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#45 Postby ColdFront77 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:10 pm

Marshall (and everyone) I just downloaded, installed the Java software from Sun Microsystems.

I believe that was the problem. I was increasing becoming more and more sure it was a Java issue over the last one to two weeks (out of the last four weeks).

Websites are loading faster and the satellite loops provided by the National Hurricane Center websites shows the Java software from Sun Microsystems in the upper left hand corner just a second before the loop loaded.

I sincerely appreciate the assistance.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#46 Postby ColdFront77 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:30 pm

Now I am not too sure, once again. I had to restart my computer after "testing the ongoing problem" by clicking 'Tools' in the toolbar; sure enough I was getting repeative errors again and had to restart my computer.

I found a website that indicates what the proper setting are for using Java with IE 6.0. I'll see if this works.
Last edited by ColdFront77 on Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#47 Postby weatherlover427 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:15 pm

I recommend downloading all available hotfixes from the Windows Update site. :) Try that and see if it works or not. :)
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#48 Postby ColdFront77 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:20 pm

I have been going to the Windows Update site frequently and
there haven't been any files available for me to download and install.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#49 Postby weatherlover427 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:27 pm

OK. :) Have you removed all spyware from your system? And disabled all process that do not need to be running when you boot your computer? :)
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#50 Postby ColdFront77 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:31 pm

Why remove SpyWare, when it is apparently needed to run?

I suppose that could the issue... I haven't had those type of programs until recently.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#51 Postby weatherlover427 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:57 pm

What spyware does is "spy" on your computer and send information to websites, which may be too personal for your liking. They (spyware files) can also track movements of what you do on your computer and in extreme circumstances compromise your computer's security. If you mean you need spyware for your programws to run, then you must be referring to a program like KaZaA.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#52 Postby ColdFront77 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:04 pm

Joshua, I remember you told me to download and install SpyWare Blaster... so I did so. I guess I should remove it because of this problem.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#53 Postby weatherlover427 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:12 pm

No don't remove it Tom. Also download AdAware. That removes any pre-exisiting spyware on your hard drive. :) Make sure to update to the latest reference file first before you scan your hard drive. You can do so via the link on the porgram's main page. :)
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#54 Postby ColdFront77 » Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:03 am

I already removed SpyWare Blaster... as far as I can tell I haven't had problems in the hour.

I have AdAware and have used it a few times lately... it found a file here and there, however... it tends to freeze up toward the end of the scan.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#55 Postby weatherlover427 » Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:05 am

If it seems to stop then what it is doing is it is scanning a very large area of your hard drive. If it actually freezes then that is obviously a different story.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#56 Postby ColdFront77 » Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:10 am

A follow-up on Spyware Blaster and an "AdAware response".....

I am sure most people don't even have Spyware Blaster on their computers and really don't see a need for it. It seems to me that the most important program to have is anti-virus software.

I know that these maintenance programs take longer when they are scanning large files... when I minimize the AdAware window while it is scanning, there have been times in the last several weeks that it wouldn't come back up on my screen. I believe when I pressed Ctrl + Alt + Delete it said that the "program has stopped responding." -- which has been the problem with access site windows.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#57 Postby weatherlover427 » Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:00 pm

I got the link to SpywareBlaster from here:

http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/freef ... 27,00.html

if anyone is interested in it. :)

Yes anti-virus software is important; but with these hacker and virus attacks going around right now; so are firewalls. I use one and so should you and everyone else. ;)
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#58 Postby ColdFront77 » Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:22 pm

I have had my anti-virus software for a few months and finally (for some reason, which is good) the update feature is not giving me an error anymore.

My firewall has been on my computer for several months. For a brief time it wasn't opening up, but that was fixed.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#59 Postby ColdFront77 » Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:44 pm

I really am at a loss of what to do now.

I have been thinking about clicking "Tools" at the top of the screen to see if my computer freezes. The first time I did so, everything was fine, but the second time (five to ten minutes ago) my computer froze up after I sent the error report to Microsoft. I had to restart my computer by turning it off by the power strip.

I am running out of ideas.
0 likes   

jay

WeatherBug may have been set to 'autolaunch'

#60 Postby jay » Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:57 pm

hey all,
this is Jay from WeatherBug customer support. While WeatherBug takes up little memory, especially when running only in the background (just showing temp in the system tray at the bottom), it may have been that you had it set to launch upon logging on to the internet that made your computer run slower.

If so, click Options button and then the Preferences Tab and UNcheck the box "allow WeatherBug to launch at startup" and the next time you log in it should not automatically open.

Hope that helps and if anyone has questions/comments, please feel free to email us at support@weatherbug.com

Thanks
0 likes   

Return to “Tests, Help, & Suggestions”