Error I have been receiving on and off for nearly two weeks

This forum is for making test posts, requesting assistance, and making suggestions

Moderator: S2k Moderators

ColdFront77

#21 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:50 pm

I am confused. *sigh*

Someone online told me about Kazaa a few nights ago and I may of downloaded and installed it then. However, my brother was over a few weeks ago and downloaded and installed two programs. One of them may be Kazaa, but because I have no use of using the program I didn't realize that was the name of the program. I uninstalled that (too) just minutes ago.

I downloaded and installed SpywareBlaster. How is the software heard about and how do you find out what to do with it. Reading the instructions can take awhile. I have so many other things I do online I will probably never get around to reading anything about the program.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#22 Postby weatherlover427 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:17 pm

Re: SpywareBlaster - I got the link to TechTV.com through a neighbor of mine who subscribed to the TechTV channel. It is under the Call for Help - Free File Archive section of the site. :)

To ensure that you have truly removed all traces of Kazaa from your computer; you should scan for spyware and a registry cleaner. ****** DISCLAIMER: ONLY USE A REGISTRY CLEANER IF YOU ARE 200% SURE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING, OTHERWISE IF YOU DELETE THE WRONG PART OF YOUR REGISTRY, CERTAIN PROGRAMS MAY CEASE TO FUNCTION. NEITHER STORM2K NOR I WILL BE HELD LIABLE FOR SUCH ACTIONS SHOULD DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER OCCUR. ****** (been there, done that :oops: )
0 likes   

coriolis
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#23 Postby coriolis » Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:24 am

My instance of the problem was getting more frequent. I did a disk cleanup, ran spy bot, virus scan, manually removed all temp files, scandisk, defrag, set a system restore point (just in case) downloaded all MS updates, and upgraded to IE6.0

My browsing seems a lot more "snappy" now.

I heard that WinME with IE6.0 can cause problems, but I was having problems anyway. So if I "disappear" for a while, you will know why.
0 likes   
This space for rent.

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby mf_dolphin » Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:51 pm

If IE gets messed up the best wat to fix it is as follows.

1. Download and install Netscape (http://www.netscape.com)
2. Un-install IE
3. Download and instal IE (use Netscape)

:-)
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#25 Postby ColdFront77 » Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:28 pm

coriolis wrote:My instance of the problem was getting more frequent. I did a disk cleanup, ran spy bot, virus scan, manually removed all temp files, scandisk, defrag, set a system restore point (just in case) downloaded all MS updates, and upgraded to IE6.0

My browsing seems a lot more "snappy" now.

I heard that WinME with IE6.0 can cause problems, but I was having problems anyway. So if I "disappear" for a while, you will know why.

I have been running disk cleanup, virus scanned a few times with no viruses being detected and constntly am removing temporary internet files, been running scandisk frequently, as well as defragmenting a few times since these problems began.

Thank you Ed.

mf_dolphin wrote:If IE gets messed up the best wat to fix it is as follows.

1. Download and install Netscape (http://www.netscape.com)
2. Un-install IE
3. Download and instal IE (use Netscape)

:-)

I have seriously given some thought to redownloading and reinstalling IE 6.0. What would be wrong with doing that?

Thank you Marshall.

My sincere apologizes for posting this and the "CD Lens Cleaner" thread in the Off Topic Forum; it seemed to be the most appropriate forum to post these issues.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby mf_dolphin » Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:38 pm

No problem Tom. This kind of thing is what the Tip, Help and Tests Forum is for. :-)

Sometime the registry for IE gets messed up. The only way I've found to fix it reliable is to uninstall and reinstall. :-)
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#27 Postby weatherlover427 » Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:56 pm

IE 6.0 SP 1 has some bugs, including images not loading correctly the first time. That is why I have 3 browsers - IE, Netscape, and MSN Explorer. :) I hear IE 6.0 SP 2 may not be too far off... ;) .
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#28 Postby ColdFront77 » Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:38 pm

Thank you Marshall and Joshua.

I know full well that these sort of issues belong here, in the "Tips, Help and Tests Forum." :D

I was honestly debating whether or not to put this and the "CD Lens Cleaner" thread in this forum,
rather than the Off-Topic forum.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#29 Postby weatherlover427 » Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:26 am

Not a problem Tom. :) Glad to help. ;)
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#30 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:21 pm

I am not completely sure about this, but I uninstalled (again; did so yesterday, but reinstalled it) the Internet Explorer Q818529 [Patch] and it seems to be the problem with loading websites.

It has been nearly a month since this problem arose and Q818529 came out in June and I believe I downloaded and installed the file in July.
Last edited by ColdFront77 on Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#31 Postby weatherlover427 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:11 pm

I do not have that patch. What Windows operating system version are you running, Tom?
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#32 Postby ColdFront77 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:42 pm

I have Windows 98. I mentioned it on Tuesday August 12 at 7:09 PM Eastern, too. :)
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#33 Postby ColdFront77 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:32 pm

Once again, not sure what the problem can possibly be. I tried three times to access another (weather related) website while having this site opened and (the other) site stops responding.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby mf_dolphin » Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:33 pm

Have you done what I suggested? Removing IE and reinstalling...
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#35 Postby ColdFront77 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:00 pm

Marshall, I remember you telling me to remove Internet Explorer. I never had to remove it before and wanted to make sure I found the proper program. The name of the program isn't just "Internet Explorer 6.0."

I just removed Internet Explorer. I wanted to try what I said above prior to having to uninstall and reinstall the program.

After the restart I double click Internet Explorer and got a website to reinstall Internet Explorer, it took about a second and here I am. :)

Hopefully this will fix my nearly month long problem.

Thank you very much.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#36 Postby ColdFront77 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:02 pm

I thought all was going to be well (AGAIN)... but I just purposely clicked one of the menus on my toolbar [my "Favorites," of all things; was these errors were happening when I clicked "Tools"] and I got that dreaded error.

Perhaps I have to run ScanDisk and/or Disk Defragmenter after uninstalling Internet Explorer, before reinstalling it?
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby mf_dolphin » Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:52 pm

Installing Inernet Explorer takes at least 5 minutes on a high speed connection. That doesn't include installing all the service packs. As for Scandisk and Disk defragmenter, Scandisk checks for errors on the hard drive, defrag helps organize the files on the disk for better performance. Both are a good idea but shouldn't impact this issue unless you have a bad disk drive. Usually when that happens you have problems with several programs not just one.

Based on you saying it took 1 second to re-install IE I have to conclude that you didn't get it uninstalled correctly. If you have another browser (Netscape or other) do these steps"

1. Click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel
2. Select "Add/Remove Programs"
3. Select "Microsoft Internet Explorer....."
4. Click "Add/Remove"
5. At this point select "remove" if that option is available. If not try the "Restore" or "Repair" options.

Good Luck! :-)
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#38 Postby ColdFront77 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:27 pm

Sorry about that Marshall. I tried the repair option first to see what that did; as I mentioned it didn't fix the problem.

In the last ten minutes I removed IE 6.0, so I obviously now have IE 5.5. I (obviously) prefer having 6.0, but I guess I shouldn't bother upgrading it.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby mf_dolphin » Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:53 am

There's no reason not to upgrade it. The same type of problems have happen with IE 5.5. I know because I maintain almost 100 computers at work :-) Go ahead and upgrade to IE 6 and then run all the updates to bring it up to date :-)
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#40 Postby ColdFront77 » Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:30 pm

That's what I figured and I was asked to upgrade to IE 6.0 and did so. It may not seem like I understand these issues;
asking information makes things a lot easier, in most cases. :)

Thanks again, Marshall. :D
0 likes   

Return to “Tests, Help, & Suggestions”