Forum Layout

This forum is for making test posts, requesting assistance, and making suggestions

Moderator: S2k Moderators

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Forum Layout

#1 Postby GeneratorPower » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:33 pm

I would like to lodge a friendly complaint about the forum layout. Consider the Active Storms - All Basins area.

Consider the following:

1. At the very top of the page is the Storm2K nav bar and graphic. No major gripes with this, but it takes up a lot of real estate at the top of the page.

2. The next thing at the top of the page is a giant map which shows all the different invests and storms. For users like me who use the forum frequently, this just gets in the way. I already know what is out there, so I don't need an entire 1/2 page length to show me. It's cool and all, but it really isn't all that useful. And I have to scroll past it to get to any usable info in the forums. It slows things down. Maybe we could move it to a main page or something that you hit when you first log on, then it doesn't show again.

3. Third, once you get past the enormous map, you hit another 1/2 page of announcements and stickied topics that again, aren't that useful. These are useful the first dozen or so times you hit the forums. But when they don't change for a week, it just gets annoying. My recommendation is to clean all this up.

4. In the S2k Tropical Weather forum, you see a list of different subforums to choose from. Under Active Storms - All Basins, the active hurricanes aren't updated frequently enough. It seems like they must be manually updated but it is hard for the mods to remember to change them. This is a minor thing, but I am mentioning it anyway.

Thanks for listening to my complaints. I appreciate the board.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Forum Layout

#2 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:41 am

The main reason for the information and maps at the top is to inform those that are new to this site about what is going on. We are here for everyone, new and old members alike and one of our big tenants is to disburse information. Perhaps the staff could discuss if there is a better way to deal with this, but honestly this is the first time I have heard this as a complaint.
We have developed a better way to update the listing and hopefully it is working. Thanks for your input.
0 likes   

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby GeneratorPower » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:11 pm

Thanks for the reply. I agree there needs to be a lot of good info for those who are new, and that it should be front and center upon a first visit to the site. My point is just that it is a lot to scroll through every time we reload the topic list. Thanks!
0 likes   

Return to “Tests, Help, & Suggestions”