Getting similar errors again

This forum is for making test posts, requesting assistance, and making suggestions

Moderator: S2k Moderators

ColdFront77

Getting similar errors again

#1 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:23 pm

I clicked "Tools" [in toolbar] several times today to see if I would have problems and sure enough I did, a few of the times... I got an "Explorer Error" that stopped my internet access and access to other programs except mIRC.

In the last ten minutes I got a Critial Update Pop-Up and of course I downloaded and installed it.

Should I run AdAware again or what? Thank you in advance.
Last edited by ColdFront77 on Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#2 Postby weatherlover427 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:56 pm

Hmm Tom. I have a few ideas. My comp has some issues too.

1) It may not be spyware after all. What spyware mainly does is things like resetting your IE / Netscape homepage, sending information to servers about websites you visit and what is on your comp, etc. You may either need to: a) run a virus scan, b) clean out your registry (only do this if you are as computer savvy as me), c) buy and run a program called Norton SystemWorks (which fixes a ton of errors that your system may have in various system areas), d) ScanDisk, e) Defragment, or if all else fails; F) have it looked at by someone other than myself or you. :lol:
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#3 Postby ColdFront77 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:02 am

I've scanned for viruses a couple times, recently and it hasn't found any viruses; and yes... I updated it a couple time this week, too.

I defragmented my drive not too many days ago. I haven't run ScanDisk in recent days, but it wasn't that long ago.

The strange thing is, I haven't had problems like this (since having fast speed internet access) until about a month ago. The only thing I didn't have access to until about a month ago was anti-virus software.
Last edited by ColdFront77 on Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#4 Postby weatherlover427 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:14 am

Have you deleted any programs the wrong way? And do you have system restore on your operating system?
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#5 Postby ColdFront77 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:21 am

How would I of deleted programs the "wrong way"?

I am not sure if I have 'system restore" on my operating system. Should everyone be aware of this?

Also, ScanDisk find an error or two from time to time, but doesn't seem to be too much of the problem.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#6 Postby weatherlover427 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:38 am

I would highly recommend that everyone be aware of System Restore. It is, many times; the fixer of most mistakes. :) What it does is it restores your system to a time before the errors began happening. ;)

Sometimes a program will not delete via Add-Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Then someone (like me) has to remove it forcefully - that is, going to the Program Files folder and deleting it through there. That is the wrong way, and that is what messes up your system. Only delete programs via your Add-Remove programs control panel or your programs' uninstall software.

And if ScanDisk isn't fixing much of anything then we can trash that idea.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#7 Postby ColdFront77 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:51 am

I have Gateway Go-Back, which I have used a number of times; it sounds like a similar program. I assume computer users know about these different programs. I have wonder how people "just know" about computer programs, etc.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#8 Postby weatherlover427 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:58 am

Yes, Go-Back is similar to System Restore. :) I used it to function similarly on my Windows 98 machine until I upgraded it to Windows XP. It was easy for me to learn this stuff; I guess it comes as part of my gifts related to autism; just as weather and working with numbers do(es).
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#9 Postby ColdFront77 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:06 am

By the way, some of the times I have clicked "Tools" purposely or accidentally, I have only had to click "Send" or "Do Not Send" (I felt like choosing "Do Not Send," but have clicked "Send" and then was able to access websites again. But obviously I am going to initially mention the problem I am having.

Many people learn things about computers and are not autistic. I understand as much as I can about computers. It isn't my fault that I don't understand things you do. However, maybe I do understand computer issues, but not consciously... hence my thinking that those of us with autism have "subconscious intelligence" along with a "regular" intelligence.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#10 Postby weatherlover427 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:31 pm

And you did try to uninstall and re-install IE, correct? :?
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#11 Postby ColdFront77 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:11 pm

Yes, I removed IE 6.0 (so had IE 5.5, had that briefly) a week or two ago and upgraded back to it shortly afterward, that night.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#12 Postby weatherlover427 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:35 pm

OK. Did IE 5.5 cause any of these errors?
0 likes   

Return to “Tests, Help, & Suggestions”