Not sure DNS thing is fixed

This forum is for making test posts, requesting assistance, and making suggestions

Moderator: S2k Moderators

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Not sure DNS thing is fixed

#1 Postby AnnularCane » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:02 pm

OK, here's what has been happening. Yesterday I was staying logged in, and aside from getting that "board is currently unavailable" message, everything was normal. For a while today I have not been able to log in at all. I tried clearing my cookies, and I was able to log in, but then I kept having to log back in every time I visited. Then later on everything started working fine, and I stayed logged in and didn't even get that little "board unavailable" message anymore, and everything seemed fixed. Now all of a sudden I keep having to log in again.

I hope I explained all that OK.
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby x-y-no » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:48 am

The trouble is that DNS is a distributed database and it's up to the individual servers out there to pull the up-to-date information from the authoritative servers. They don't always do that in a timely manner, or they may pull from elsewhere (and thus potentially get bad data.) All of this can lead to some unpredictable results for a couple of days after a change is made.

All in all it's not the best of designs, but it's what evolved with the internet. Hang in there - it will stabilize. On the good side, this happened during a really slow period in the tropics.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Not sure DNS thing is fixed

#3 Postby mf_dolphin » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:25 pm

I've run several DNS reports over the last couple of days and they are looking good. As x-y-no said it's just a matter of time until your ISP updates correctly.
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Cyclenall » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:34 pm

I'm not sure it was a DNS issue but last night I could hardly come on Storm2K and at first it was incredibely slow (taking 3-4 minutes to open a simple page and I have high-speed) and then the site just wouldn't load at all within 40 minutes. Now it's back to normal now thankfully. What happened?
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby O Town » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:49 pm

Cyclenall wrote:I'm not sure it was a DNS issue but last night I could hardly come on Storm2K and at first it was incredibely slow (taking 3-4 minutes to open a simple page and I have high-speed) and then the site just wouldn't load at all within 40 minutes. Now it's back to normal now thankfully. What happened?

I experienced the same thing. And couldn't get on at all yesterday morning, and this morning before 9 am, the IP wasn't working either.
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby chadtm80 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:20 pm

Yes we have noticed server troubles in the overnight hours the past two nights/mornings.. It is being looked in to :-)
0 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#7 Postby AnnularCane » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:20 pm

chadtm80 wrote:Yes we have noticed server troubles in the overnight hours the past two nights/mornings.. It is being looked in to :-)

I noticed that too. I thought it was just me. Oh well, I seem to be staying logged in now so far, but it has kind of been off and on lately. I have been logged in since last night though, so maybe this one is for good.

I was actually a little bit surprised when I got on this morning and didn't have to log in again. :P
0 likes   

Return to “Tests, Help, & Suggestions”