EAST COAST : Tropical Depression ONE

Moderator: S2k Moderators

jinftl
Category 5
Category 5

Re: East Coast : Tropical Depression ONE

#161 Postby jinftl » Thu May 28, 2009 10:56 am

Interesting excerpt from NHC Discussion....

ALTHOUGH THE SHIPS GUIDANCE DOES NOT
SHOW THE SYSTEM REACHING TROPICAL STORM STRENGTH...THE INITIAL SST
INPUT TO THE MODEL APPEAR TOO COLD
. AS A RESULT...THE OFFICIAL
FORECAST WILL CALL FOR THE SYSTEM TO BECOME A TROPICAL STORM OVER
THE NEXT DAY OR SO.

According to the NHC, the system is over 25-26C water right now...most maps do not show the water that warm where the center is....water temp maps, like anything, need to be taken with a grain of salt....there are no absolutes. Water temps in that range (76-78F) could well maintain/support a weak ts.....no rapid ntensification or extreme organization, but clearly those temps can support minimal development....that has already happened. At no point was this system over 80+ deg water.
Last edited by jinftl on Thu May 28, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#162 Postby cycloneye » Thu May 28, 2009 10:58 am

Dr Jeff Masters take on TD one

Posted by: JeffMasters, 3:43 PM GMT on May 28, 2009

Nature is jumping the gun a bit this year, with the season's first tropical depression forming four days before the official start to hurricane season. The area of disturbed weather (91L) that we've been watching, about 250 miles east-northeast of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, has developed enough heavy thunderstorm activity and spin to be classified as a tropical depression. QuikSCAT imagery from last night revealed a closed surface circulation, but top winds of only 20 - 25 mph. Satellite estimates (using a cloud pattern recognition method called the "Dvorak" technique) were saying this was a tropical depression this morning, though, so the NHC elected to upgrade the system.

The disturbance is over the relatively warm waters of the Gulf Stream (25°C) and has wind shear of 5 - 10 knots over it, and these conditions are marginally favorable for some slow development to occur until Friday, when the system will likely move over waters too cold to support intensification. TD One is not a threat to any land areas. I give the storm a 60% chance of becoming Tropical Storm Ana.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#163 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu May 28, 2009 11:01 am

jinftl wrote:Interesting excerpt from NHC Discussion....

THE NEXT DAY OR SO.

According to the NHC, the system is over 25-26C water right now...most maps do not show the water that warm where the center is....water temp maps, like anything, need to be taken with a grain of salt....there are no absolutes.

very good point... :)
any thermal imaging from satellites is subject to many possible errors and can only resolve to a certain resolution...
most maps only have a gradient color scheme with no defining lines from one temp to another and if there is, it is likely and average and not the true temp in a specific area.

another thing this system is very small and thermal dynamic processes work at slightly different..
0 likes   

jinftl
Category 5
Category 5

#164 Postby jinftl » Thu May 28, 2009 11:11 am

Good point....things in nature usually happen in degrees, along a spectrum. It would seem very odd that the thermal dynamic processes that are present at 80 or 81 degrees (SST temp) are completely void at 78 or 79 deg. When we are talking about whether or not development can take place....esp the development of a td or weak ts...water temps is important, but only one factor. Water temp (and related issues like depth of warm water) are probably more important in forecasting rapid intensification or development of a strong inner core. What we have been talking about with this system is neither of those....we have been really talking about whether enough organization would take place to meet the minimum thresholds. I think that can happen at 75-78 deg if other factors like shear are favorable. Such a system won't be very pretty or last too long, but it could become a td or weak ts.

Aric Dunn wrote:
jinftl wrote:Interesting excerpt from NHC Discussion....

THE NEXT DAY OR SO.

According to the NHC, the system is over 25-26C water right now...most maps do not show the water that warm where the center is....water temp maps, like anything, need to be taken with a grain of salt....there are no absolutes.

very good point... :)
any thermal imaging from satellites is subject to many possible errors and can only resolve to a certain resolution...
most maps only have a gradient color scheme with no defining lines from one temp to another and if there is, it is likely and average and not the true temp in a specific area.

another thing this system is very small and thermal dynamic processes work at slightly different..
0 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#165 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Thu May 28, 2009 11:17 am

So TD one on May 28, 2009...3rd year in a row with an early system..
Before advanced technology a lot of storms were probably missed
in previous yrs in early season
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#166 Postby cycloneye » Thu May 28, 2009 11:19 am

0 likes   

jinftl
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#167 Postby jinftl » Thu May 28, 2009 11:22 am

True...but advanced technology didn't first surface in 2007....this 3-year-in-a-row occurrence is still remarkable.

Tampa Bay Hurricane wrote:So TD one on May 28, 2009...3rd year in a row with an early system..
Before advanced technology a lot of storms were probably missed
in previous yrs in early season
0 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#168 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Thu May 28, 2009 11:23 am

Yes 3 yrs in a row is quite rare especially being recent during the
advanced tech.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: Recon : Tropical Depression ONE

#169 Postby wxman57 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:24 am

No need to waste recon resources on this system.
0 likes   

jinftl
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#170 Postby jinftl » Thu May 28, 2009 11:25 am

Perhaps the Atlantic Season needs to start the same date at the EPAC on May 15. Talk about a controversial proposal though...fighting words if people try to link it to global warming and not better technology or simple observed realities.

Tampa Bay Hurricane wrote:Yes 3 yrs in a row is quite rare especially being recent during the
advanced tech.
Last edited by jinftl on Thu May 28, 2009 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#171 Postby fci » Thu May 28, 2009 11:26 am

robbielyn wrote:I think Aric's comment is a generalized statement that need not be taken in a sarcastic way but is truly reality. Even the NHC didn't think this would develop because all the odds were against it but it still did anyways. Pretty humbling to all of us I think.

I've got to pile on here too.
In my opinion; an extra large font, dire looking statement about a non-issue, inconsequential TD is out of line.

Who really cares about the fact that the Pro Mets did not get worked up at all about this unimportant system?

JMO
Last edited by fci on Thu May 28, 2009 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#172 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:27 am

I agree, there have probably been a lot more early (and late) storms missed. I definitely agree in proposing an extension of hurricane season for 2010.

Personally I would eliminate the term and make it year-round, but at least start it on May 1 or May 15 and end it December 15.
0 likes   

WeatherLovingDoc
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#173 Postby WeatherLovingDoc » Thu May 28, 2009 11:28 am

Went to bed last night with 91L being suspect, come here today and voila'. For a new watcher like me, a good lesson on the power of the warm gulf stream and a reminder to never take your eyes off the ball.
0 likes   

jinftl
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#174 Postby jinftl » Thu May 28, 2009 11:29 am

It goes to our understanding of what is needed for a system to develop...if there is a flaw or bias towards underestimating development given certain conditions (SST,shear, time of year), that is significant. Can't understand the Katrinas of the world if we can't quite figure out what causes (or is necessary) for even a td to develop. Just my 2 cents. We can either approach the tropics as waiting for model runs to guide our forecasts and beliefs (even if they have bad data...like some models did for SSTs for this system, per the NHC) or getting to the science of it all.

fci wrote:
robbielyn wrote:I think Aric's comment is a generalized statement that need not be taken in a sarcastic way but is truly reality. Even the NHC didn't think this would develop because all the odds were against it but it still did anyways. Pretty humbling to all of us I think.

In my opinion; an extra large font, dire looking statement about a non-issue, incosequential TD is out of line.

Who really cares about the fact that the Pro Mets did not get worked up at all about this unimportant system?

JMO
0 likes   

Lurker
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#175 Postby Lurker » Thu May 28, 2009 11:32 am

Exactly! If this forum had a post of the day I would nominate this!!

WeatherLovingDoc wrote:Went to bed last night with 91L being suspect, come here today and voila'. For a new watcher like me, a good lesson on the power of the warm gulf stream and a reminder to never take your eyes off the ball.
0 likes   

xironman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: EAST COAST : Tropical Depression ONE

#176 Postby xironman » Thu May 28, 2009 11:32 am

I thought the GFS started picking up on this about five days out as opposed to its normal 10 day ghost systems, but I could have missed something.
Last edited by xironman on Thu May 28, 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#177 Postby fci » Thu May 28, 2009 11:35 am

jinftl wrote:It goes to our understanding of what is needed for a system to develop...if there is a flaw or bias towards underestimating development given certain conditions (SST,shear, time of year), that is significant. Can't understand the Katrinas of the world if we can't quite figure out what causes (or is necessary) for even a td to develop. Just my 2 cents. We can either approach the tropics as waiting for model runs to guide our forecasts and beliefs (even if they have bad data...like some models did for SSTs for this system, per the NHC) or getting to the science of it all.

fci wrote:

In my opinion; an extra large font, dire looking statement about a non-issue, incosequential TD is out of line.

JMO

What you saying is fundamentally true.
I was critical of the form in which the statement was made.
Extra large font, overtly critical of Pro Mets........
Message sent was sound, delivery was flawed; in my opinion.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#178 Postby jasons2k » Thu May 28, 2009 11:42 am

Let's get back on topic please. Thanks
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#179 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu May 28, 2009 11:43 am

fci wrote:

In my opinion; an extra large font, dire looking statement about a non-issue, inconsequential TD is out of line.

JMO

this will be the last i say about that... non-issue? how do you come to that conclusion?
and it has nothing to do with getting worked up.. it was a simple statement. was not meant to bash or cause confrontation .. was simply meant to reassure people that anything can happen and calling things dead ( i did as well) is not the right thing to do.. watching and analyzing till its completely out of the picture is more prudent... i see it all year around everywhere.. people calling it dead , its not coming or any number of other statements .... that kind of talk can lead to very dangerous consequences..... some people on here listen to what other say and take it too heart.. so a non-issue i beg to differ!! so what if you think its a small inconsequential TD-1, there may be a sail boat out there right now taking on water ... you dont know ... thats the point... so stop with the bashing and turning something into more than it was..
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#180 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu May 28, 2009 11:45 am

Lurker wrote:Exactly! If this forum had a post of the day I would nominate this!!

WeatherLovingDoc wrote:Went to bed last night with 91L being suspect, come here today and voila'. For a new watcher like me, a good lesson on the power of the warm gulf stream and a reminder to never take your eyes off the ball.

hehe... great :)
Aric likes this !!!
0 likes   

Return to “2009”