ATL : INVEST 94L

Moderator: S2k Moderators

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: ATL : INVEST 94L

#61 Postby wxman57 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:34 pm

EC in through 144hrs. Made a composite map of GFS (yellow lines) and ECMWF (purple lines) analyzed to 1/2 millibar. Valid 7am CDT next Monday. Note the similarity between the two now. EC has trended toward GFS, and GFS toward yesterday's EC. Both VERY slow to move the system northward.
0 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#62 Postby Ivanhater » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:37 pm

Seems the slower it moves, the better the chance the next trough kicks it NE, maybe never getting out of the Caribbean
0 likes   
Michael

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#63 Postby wxman57 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:46 pm

BIG differences show up at 168 hrs. EC seems to take the high over the southeast U.S. and move it northward up the coast, while the GFS just moves it more slowly eastward, blocking any northward progress of the system. I have to admit, that ECMWF track into the central Gulf looks mighty suspicious for this time of year.

I don't get the ECMWF here beyond 168 hrs, so we have to wait for the ECMWF web site to update before we can see out to 10 days.

0 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#64 Postby Ivanhater » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:50 pm

Man, I really thought we might finally have agreement here, stall on the NW Caribbean waiting on the next front to sweep it NE, like Wilma maybe further south. I still think this time of year that is more likely. But it all depends on what is actually happening this time.
0 likes   
Michael

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#65 Postby wxman57 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:54 pm

Ivanhater wrote:Man, I really thought we might finally have agreement here, stall on the NW Caribbean waiting on the next front to sweep it NE, like Wilma maybe further south. I still think this time of year that is more likely. But it all depends on what is actually happening this time.

Yeah, I was hopeful for agreement, too. The ECMWF has the front in the same place as the GFS but it just blows the low past the front, it seems. Or it drives the front northward?? Very strange solution. I'm skeptical. And the ECMWF is Derek's favorite model, too... ;-)
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL : INVEST 94L - Models

#66 Postby cycloneye » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:56 pm

Here is the loop of the 12z ECMWF.After entering the SE GOM,it goes NE over Centralnorthern Florida and then up the coast.

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts ... 12!!!step/
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#67 Postby Ivanhater » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:57 pm

Big Bend area

0 likes   
Michael

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#68 Postby wxman57 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:02 pm

Yeah, VERY weak low south-central Gulf the NE to northern FL Peninsula. Note that the maps I posted showed isobars every 1/2 millibar. That made the low look much stronger. But we can't really use these global models to predict TC intensity.
Last edited by wxman57 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#69 Postby cycloneye » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:02 pm

There is a 94L models thread. :)
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL : INVEST 94L - Models

#70 Postby cycloneye » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:03 pm

Hey,there is this models thread to post the runs. :)
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#71 Postby HURAKAN » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:04 pm

Latest
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#72 Postby wxman57 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:05 pm

cycloneye wrote:There is a 94L models thread. :)

Never understood the need for 2 separate discussion threads. This is where we're discussing the potential future of the disturbance. Are we supposed to post the model images there then talk about them here?
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#73 Postby cycloneye » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:16 pm

wxman57 wrote:

Never understood the need for 2 separate discussion threads. This is where we're discussing the potential future of the disturbance. Are we supposed to post the model images there then talk about them here?

We haved done separated threads since storm2k came to life called the main thread for members to discuss all about the system and the models thread to post the runs from the different models.We do it this way for the Atlantic systems as information about the models gets lost when a main thread gets many replies.When a models thread is up,is more easy for the members to find the model runs in one place rather than in a mix of other discussions.I can ask the admins to look into it to see if we can forget about model threads. :)
0 likes   

drezee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#74 Postby drezee » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:23 pm

wxman57 wrote:Yeah, VERY weak low south-central Gulf the NE to northern FL Peninsula. Note that the maps I posted showed isobars every 1/2 millibar. That made the low look much stronger. But we can't really use these global models to predict TC intensity.

I dare not make a prediction on intensity, but there is a ton of latent heat down there. The TCHP is ripe. Sky is the limit on potential, but the forming low needs to stay over water. Until, a consistent solid center is formed....it will be difficult to determine a track.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#75 Postby wxman57 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:33 pm

Certainly, the TCHP supports a major hurricane. But the water could be boiling in the NW Caribbean and nothing will develop if wind shear isn't favorable. So it really comes down to whether or not atmospheric conditions favor intensification.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#76 Postby wxman57 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:36 pm

cycloneye wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

We haved done separated threads since storm2k came to life called the main thread for members to discuss all about the system and the models thread to post the runs from the different models.We do it this way for the Atlantic systems as information about the models gets lost when a main thread gets many replies.When a models thread is up,is more easy for the members to find the model runs in one place rather than in a mix of other discussions.I can ask the admins to look into it to see if we can forget about model threads. :)

Yeah, in a more "typical" season with hundreds of pages of posts on each system, the models could be lost in the main discussion thread, so you have a point. Somehow I don't think they'll be lost in the discussion thread this year. Just 3 pages of posts on a potential hurricane threat in the NW Caribbean or SE Gulf? Normally, we'd have that many pages the first 5 minutes of the thread.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#77 Postby cycloneye » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:53 pm

Yeah, in a more "typical" season with hundreds of pages of posts on each system, the models could be lost in the main discussion thread, so you have a point. Somehow I don't think they'll be lost in the discussion thread this year. Just 3 pages of posts on a potential hurricane threat in the NW Caribbean or SE Gulf? Normally, we'd have that many pages the first 5 minutes of the thread.

57,you are right that this year we haved not had a wild scene here of the members posting every second and having threads go over 600 pages like in 2005.But keep in mind that this 94L system will be out there for many days to come and is expected that this main thread will get busy if it organizes.While we have many regulars that read nearly every page,a lot of people pop in when they can from work or home and want a quick update. There's usually going to be many pages of discussion, and particularly when it's very busy,the thread moves quickly. Keeping the models thread separate gives people quick access to the latest model runs without wading through pages and pages.
0 likes   

TreasureIslandFLGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Clearwater, Florida ~3 miles from the coast now. We finally moved safely off the barrier island!

#78 Postby TreasureIslandFLGal » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:54 pm

How will Rick, or its remnants, potentially impact this system or the approaching front? I don't see it at all in the models, though it shoudl be showin gup on the maps as it traverses Mexico over the next few days.
0 likes   
Chrissy & Ligeia
Chrissy & Nikki
:flag:

TreasureIslandFLGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Clearwater, Florida ~3 miles from the coast now. We finally moved safely off the barrier island!

#79 Postby TreasureIslandFLGal » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:56 pm

cycloneye wrote:

57,you are right that this year we haved not had a wild scene here of the members posting every second and having threads go over 600 pages like in 2005.But keep in mind that this 94L system will be out there for many days to come and is expected that this main thread will get busy if it organizes.While we have many regulars that read nearly every page,a lot of people pop in when they can from work or home and want a quick update. There's usually going to be many pages of discussion, and particularly when it's very busy,the thread moves quickly. Keeping the models thread separate gives people quick access to the latest model runs without wading through pages and pages.

haha. I am a perfect example of that person who pops in occassionally while at work...and of course...my first stop was over at the Models thread to see what the latest prognosis was. :wink:
0 likes   
Chrissy & Ligeia
Chrissy & Nikki
:flag:

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#80 Postby wxman57 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:58 pm

TreasureIslandFLGal wrote:How will Rick, or its remnants, potentially impact this system or the approaching front? I don't see it at all in the models, though it should be showing up on the maps as it traverses Mexico over the next few days.

Looks like Rick's energy merges with the front along the TX coast Thursday night/Friday morning then races NE up the front to the Ohio Valley by Saturday. Probably little impact on the Caribbean system.

Rick does show up well on the NCEP GFS loop:
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod ... loop.shtml
0 likes   

Return to “2009”