ATL : INVEST 90L - DISCUSSION

Moderator: S2k Moderators

thetruesms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#181 Postby thetruesms » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:15 pm

People still bother watching TWC? :oops: There's almost nothing on there you can't get better or faster online
0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL : INVEST 90L - DISCUSSION

#182 Postby Blown Away » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:19 pm

You can see the convection from the E wave is now reaching 90L's broad center from the SE. This convection kinda flattens as is reaches 90L's circulation?
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#183 Postby ConvergenceZone » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks HURAKAN and thetrusms for the clarrification on which ones may merge....
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#184 Postby KWT » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:32 pm

The models really aren't as keen as they were a few days ago on this wave, most now don't do anything more then a sharp wave/weak depression. I'd imagine the models are sniffing out on a possible ULL diving south-westwards through the C.Atlantic but these features shouldn't be trusted really.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#185 Postby ConvergenceZone » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:34 pm

KWT wrote:The models really aren't as keen as they were a few days ago on this wave, most now don't do anything more then a sharp wave/weak depression. I'd imagine the models are sniffing out on a possible ULL diving south-westwards through the C.Atlantic but these features shouldn't be trusted really.

Hmmm, then maybe it will be another couple of weeks then before we get Colin?..I was thinking something by August 7th, but I guess we'll have to see if we need to push that date further back.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#186 Postby KWT » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:36 pm

Too early to tell, could easily get Colin, even if its short lived, based on what the models are doing, wouldn't take much of a change to get something as we saw with Bonnie where all the models called for an open wave but it did manage to briefly hold something together.

Besides as I've said before I don't put any faith in the upper level forecasts!
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

Riptide
Category 2
Category 2

#187 Postby Riptide » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:36 pm

It is impossible to simulate something that has not developed yet.

:double:
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#188 Postby ConvergenceZone » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:40 pm

KWT, I've always wondered how models can even predict anyway? How is that a model able to see something way in the future that our Mets can't? That's always fascinated me....
0 likes   

thetruesms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#189 Postby thetruesms » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:41 pm

Riptide wrote:It is impossible to simulate something that has not developed yet.

sarcasm, I hope?
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#190 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:43 pm

Riptide wrote:It is impossible to simulate something that has not developed yet.

well actually thats is true in someways for this situation.... the models dont develop anything because they dont know what is going on out there.. new data is being inputted that has two waves merging and that is very complicated. if you recall before it was 90L the models were not calling for a merger and they had a stronger system. most do not have the resolution to forecast that detail. so when the data was inputted the became confused.. lol
Last edited by Aric Dunn on Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#191 Postby cycloneye » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:44 pm

This is what the NWS in San Juan sees at this time about what may unfold late next week.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN JUAN PR
312 PM AST FRI JUL 30 2010

THE TUTT LOW TO OUR NORTHEAST IS EXPECTED TO RETROGRADE WESTWARD
EARLY NEXT WEEK...WITH A LOW LEVEL TROUGH OR REFLECTION OF THIS
TUTT EXPECTED TO BRING AN INCREASE IN MOISTURE ACROSS THE VI AND
SECTIONS OF PUERTO RICO BY MONDAY AFTERNOON AND TUESDAY. THE MOST
INTERESTING FEATURE OVER THE NEXT SEVEN DAYS IS THE POTENTIALLY
STRONG TROPICAL WAVE...THAT AT THIS TIME HAS A LOW CHANCE OF
DEVELOPING INTO A TROPICAL CYCLONE...EXPECTED TO REACH THE LOCAL
ISLANDS TOWARD THE MIDDLE TO END OF NEXT WEEK. STILL MUCH
UNCERTAINTY...BUT EITHER WAY...EXPECT A SIGNIFICANT INCREASE IN
SHOWER AND THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY ACROSS THE LOCAL ISLANDS BY NEXT
WEDNESDAY OR THURSDAY AS THIS WAVE APPROACHES THE LOCAL ISLANDS.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Riptide
Category 2
Category 2

#192 Postby Riptide » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:46 pm

thetruesms wrote:

sarcasm, I hope?

No, I'm just grasping for straws. :lol:

Only joking my friend. All kidding aside, I don't see any inhibiting factors for development in the next 36 hours. This TW is probably under some of the best conditions in the tropical Atlantic, shear is probably under 5 kts now or approaching that mark. It is that imaginary ULL that could screw something up post-48 hours I think. Wouldn't be surprised if 90L was a depression by Sunday.
0 likes   

thetruesms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#193 Postby thetruesms » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:46 pm

ConvergenceZone wrote:KWT, I've always wondered how models can even predict anyway? How is that a model able to see something way in the future that our Mets can't? That's always fascinated me....
Simply because our poor brains are unable to quickly solve the necessary PDEs to quantitatively describe the motion of the atmosphere accurately. We can quickly figure things in a qualitative sense, but in marginal cases where you really need the actual numbers to be calculated to determine what's going to happen, you need a computer to crunch everything in enough time.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#194 Postby KWT » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:47 pm

ConvergenceZone wrote:KWT, I've always wondered how models can even predict anyway? How is that a model able to see something way in the future that our Mets can't? That's always fascinated me....

Its real complicated thats for sure, I'm not sure I could give you a 'proper' answer, I'm sure there is a pro met out there that could give a good answer to that sort of question!

What I will say is the models resolutions, esp the GFS/ECM should allow the models to have a better grasp on possible strength of systems, at least on the lower end of the scale compared to say 2004-2006 era due to the upgrades.

Anyway the next 24-48hrs look fairly quiet but I do think there is a pretty good shot by 72-96hrs of something getting going. There appears to be some higher shear aloft to the north and from the looks of things the system really can't gain too much latitude to survive...but its a really messy set-up for sure. Of course the shear may not even occur yet so we will wait and see!
0 likes   

Riptide
Category 2
Category 2

Re:

#195 Postby Riptide » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:49 pm

thetruesms wrote:
Simply because our poor brains are unable to quickly solve the necessary PDEs to quantitatively describe the motion of the atmosphere accurately. We can quickly figure things in a qualitative sense, but in marginal cases where you really need the actual numbers to be calculated to determine what's going to happen, you need a computer to crunch everything in enough time.

Our brains aren't "wired" to make such calculations anyhow even though it is theoretically possible. We only use 10-15 % of our brain capacity.

Apparently, That gap is large enough to separate average from genius. :wink:
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#196 Postby KWT » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:54 pm

Looks to me like there maybe the first signs of a ULL forming:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/catl/flash-wv.html

ULL maybe forming to the NW of the current invest, obviously it has a little bit of space but I can only assume if the ULL is there and it strengthens, its going to shear the E.Atlantic region...hence why the models don't do much...
0 likes   

Riptide
Category 2
Category 2

#197 Postby Riptide » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:03 pm

If ULL's can develop, how do they dissipate?
0 likes   

StormClouds63
Category 2
Category 2

#198 Postby StormClouds63 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:09 pm

Any chance that the peak of the 2010 hurricane season will be later than September 10th? Perhaps closer to September 20th, which might account for the somewhat slow start and marginal conditions currently being seen in the Atlantic tropical basin. I know one of the analog years, 1969, would fit that profile.

90L not looking nearly as impressive. If it does develop, a very slow organization likely. Bonnie appears it for July.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#199 Postby KWT » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:10 pm

Need more time to make sure but that'd certainly explain why the models aren't really all that keen on development past 72-96hrs....
0 likes   

coreyl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re:

#200 Postby coreyl » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:25 pm

KWT wrote:Looks to me like there maybe the first signs of a ULL forming:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/catl/flash-wv.html

ULL maybe forming to the NW of the current invest, obviously it has a little bit of space but I can only assume if the ULL is there and it strengthens, its going to shear the E.Atlantic region...hence why the models don't do much...

Crazy question but, wouldn't the ridge push the ULL or whatever that is back to the west far in front of 90L?
0 likes   

Return to “2010”