ATL: KARL - Ex-Hurricane - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#41 Postby KWT » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:18 am

Probably have recon on Saturday I'd imagine for this system in the E.Caribbean as well, so the next round of recon fun is likely soon! 8-)
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL : INVEST 92L - Discussion

#42 Postby bvigal » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:21 am

0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby ConvergenceZone » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:27 am

Even if this does hit Mexico, I think Northern Mexico is much more likely, based upon all of the current model data....
0 likes   

Bailey1777
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#44 Postby Bailey1777 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:28 am

if we get a spin up everything looks very conducive to me, wonder if we will gain some latitude in this area as ex gaston did when he came through.
0 likes   

tailgater
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#45 Postby tailgater » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:29 am

HURAKAN wrote:http://a.imageshack.us/img85/6053/atlsfc72latestbwsm3.gif

In no hurry to move, that could be horrible if conditions are favorable.

Luis, now it's right!

Steering is pretty weak, maybe a due west? Unless it develops early as the NAM is showing.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ColinDelia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#46 Postby ColinDelia » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:29 am

cycloneye wrote:This factor may be way SHIP goes bonkers on intensity.

Of the 81 knot increase forecast by SHIPS through 120 hours, there are 96 knots of positive factors and 15 knots of negative factors.

Of the positive factors:
44 knots comes from maximum potential intensity (actually the difference between current intensity and MPI)
20 knots comes from vertical shear direction
13 knots comes from typical intensity changes for this time of year
6 knots from Ocean Heat Content
5 knots from 200 mb divergence
8 knots from 4 additional factors less than 5 knots contribution each

There are 5 negative factors summing up to the 15 knots of negative contributions
Last edited by ColinDelia on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby KWT » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:30 am

Yeah I agree CZ, I wouldn't be all that shocked to see this end up close to where Alex did on its last landfall but its very early in the day for that sort of speculation to be fair!
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#48 Postby ConvergenceZone » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:33 am

KWT wrote:Yeah I agree CZ, I wouldn't be all that shocked to see this end up close to where Alex did on its last landfall but its very early in the day for that sort of speculation to be fair!

I agree, it's too early to speculate. For all we know, this could be caught up in a weakness that will push this right up into Texas, too early to say...This time of year, there is much more in the area of weakness than there is in July or August.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#49 Postby KWT » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:35 am

Tailgator, yeah the steering currents are really slack right now hence why this system is progged to only have very slow movement in the next 3-4 days before the upper ridge starts to strengthen and take it W/WNW at a quicker pace.
0 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#50 Postby USTropics » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:42 am

This has Jeff Master's full attention:

A tropical disturbance (92L) has developed over the extreme southeastern Caribbean just north of the coast of South America, over the southernmost Lesser Antilles Islands. Surface observations indicate that pressures have been slowly falling at a number of stations, and satellite loops show a modest region of heavy thunderstorm activity is building. A strong flow of upper level easterly winds is creating a moderate 10 - 20 knots of wind shear, and the waters are plenty warm for development. Water vapor satellite loops show a large area of dry air lies over the northern Caribbean, but this dry air should not interfere with development over the next two days.

The disturbance is slowly drifting westward, but steering currents favor a more northwest motion Friday and Saturday. Lower shear lies over the Central Caribbean, away from the coast of South America, so any northward component of motion will allow for more significant development. There is drier air to the north, but 92L is steadily moistening the atmosphere in the Caribbean, so dry air may not be a problem for it. There is substantial model support for development. The disturbance is in a dangerous location for development, and gives me the greatest concern of any Atlantic disturbance so far this year. The models predict that by Saturday, 92L will bring heavy rains to Puerto Rico. These rains will then spread to the Dominican Republic on Sunday, and Haiti, Jamaica, and eastern Cuba on Monday. The longer range track of 92L is uncertain, and will strongly depend on where the storm drifts during the next two days. The ECMWF and GFS models predict a more southerly path through the Western Caribbean towards Belize and Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, and the NOGAPS and Canadian models predict a more northerly path along the length of Cuba towards Florida. NHC is giving 92L a 40% chance of developing into a tropical depression by Saturday. Stay tuned.
0 likes   

ColinDelia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#51 Postby ColinDelia » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:44 am

0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#52 Postby ConvergenceZone » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:48 am

Basically what Jeff Masters is saying is that this can go anywhere from Florida to Mexico. :lol:
0 likes   

Bailey1777
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#53 Postby Bailey1777 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:50 am

anybody with access have j.b.'s thoughts on this?
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#54 Postby cycloneye » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:53 am

I haven't seen Dr Masters so concerned this season like what he is expressing today. I can imagine,that statement will open eyebrows for many.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Riptide
Category 2
Category 2

#55 Postby Riptide » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:04 am

That is quite the outflow boundary on the latest visual. It really gives an illusion of some convective organization.
0 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#56 Postby bvigal » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:11 am

A sobering post by Masters. If you held a gun to my head this very minute to decide, I'd go with the forecasters in PR, who doubted that NAM run this morning. They wrote no changes on the topic in their 10:10am update. It doesn't sound like "further north" necessarily means over PR. If they change their analysis in next update, it would increase my concern of system tracking over PR/VI.
"AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN JUAN PR
1019 AM AST THU SEP 9 2010
OF NOTE IS THEUNRELIABLE MODELS CANADIAN GLOBAL AND NAM INDICATE THIS SYSTEM ACTUALLY MOVING ACROSS PR ON SUN. GIVEN THAT THE H25 HIGH IS EXPECTED TO WEAKEN AND UPPER LVL TROUGH XPCD TO CONTINUE TO DIG SOUTH IS NOT OUT THE REALM OF POSSIBILITIES THAT THIS SYSTEM COULD END UP FURTHER NORTH THAT WHAT IS SUGGESTED BY THE GFS/ECMWF MODELS."
0 likes   

JtSmarts
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#57 Postby JtSmarts » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:23 am

Bailey1777 wrote:anybody with access have j.b.'s thoughts on this?

This article from accuweather sums up his thoughts about the future of Igor and 92L

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/blogs/ ... ccuweather
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re:

#58 Postby cycloneye » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:42 am

KWT wrote:Probably have recon on Saturday I'd imagine for this system in the E.Caribbean as well, so the next round of recon fun is likely soon! 8-)

You got it right. On Saturday afternoon will be the first mission. There will be one tommorow,but that one will fly very high in the Atmosphere.

WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS
CARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.
1130 AM EDT THU 09 SEPTEMBER 2010
SUBJECT: TROPICAL CYCLONE PLAN OF THE DAY (TCPOD)
VALID 10/1100Z TO 11/1100Z SEPTEMBER 2010
TCPOD NUMBER.....10-101

I. ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS
1. NEGATIVE RECONNAISSANCE REQUIREMENTS.
2. SUCCEEDING DAY OUTLOOK: PSBL LOW LEVEL INVEST
NEAR 14.0N AND 64.0W FOR 11/1800Z.
3. REMARKS: THE NSF/NCAR G-V WILL FLY 2 A DAY RESEARCH MISSIONS
DEPARTING AT 10/0900Z AND 1700Z INTO THE SAME AREA.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Typhoon_Willie
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby Typhoon_Willie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:01 am

Just was curious if there were any radars in the area and along the path of 92l.
0 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#60 Postby WeatherEmperor » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:05 am

Does anybody think that the fact that it is still so close to land, may prohibit development in the short term?
0 likes   

Return to “2010”