WPAC: Invest 92W

Moderator: S2k Moderators

wyq614
Category 3
Category 3
Location: Beijing, China (Hometown: Qingdao, China, 36.06N 120.43E)

WPAC: Invest 92W

#1 Postby wyq614 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:59 pm

East of Luzon, 14N 128E
0 likes   

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby StormingB81 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:37 pm

WOnder what movement this will take..seems like everythign is mobing every which way
0 likes   

Typhoon10
Category 1
Category 1

Re: WPAC: Invest 92W

#3 Postby Typhoon10 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:38 pm

Yes, I think this is the one that HKO already see's on their HKO Computer Model Forecast map. Below link shows where they think it will be in 72hrs

http://www.hko.gov.hk/nwp/nwpsfcpp72e.htm
0 likes   

Typhoon Hunter
WesternPacificWeather.com

#4 Postby Typhoon Hunter » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:30 pm

Another invest pops up!

Shear is dropping a lot over the region whilst vorticity seems to be increasing:

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic2/real-time/windmain.php?&basin=westpac&sat=wgms&prod=vor&zoom=&time=

Steering environment seems pretty weak right now so I guess it won't be going anywhere too quickly. Given the low shear, boiling SSTs, upper level divergence it will be one to watch!
0 likes   
James - Documenting typhoons...

http://www.youtube.com/TyphoonHunter

Typhoon10
Category 1
Category 1

#5 Postby Typhoon10 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:52 pm

Typhoon Hunter wrote:Another invest pops up!

Shear is dropping a lot over the region whilst vorticity seems to be increasing:

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic2/real-time/windmain.php?&basin=westpac&sat=wgms&prod=vor&zoom=&time=

Steering environment seems pretty weak right now so I guess it won't be going anywhere too quickly. Given the low shear, boiling SSTs, upper level divergence it will be one to watch!

Hey TH,

So for us amateurs trying to learn. I think you are saying Shear drop and vorticity increasing is both good for chance of systems to develop? But it could go anywhere?
0 likes   

Typhoon Hunter

#6 Postby Typhoon Hunter » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:24 pm

Typhoon10 wrote:Hey TH,

So for us amateurs trying to learn. I think you are saying Shear drop and vorticity increasing is both good for chance of systems to develop? But it could go anywhere?

Low shear is essential for formation of tropical cyclones. I think the ridge of high pressure will steer this into the SCS slowly. GFS, CMC, NGPS all form some sort of cyclone just to the west of Luzon in a few days and have it traversing SCS towards Hainan. I wonder if this is 92W?
0 likes   

doraboy
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#7 Postby doraboy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:40 am

The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

My personal forecast #1 for 92W

Source: My small program ,which called "Typhoon Predictor V4.00"

Initial time: 2010/8/16 00 UTC

0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby KWT » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:29 am

Blimey thats real optimistic there doraboy, a peak of a massive 20kts! :P
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby dexterlabio » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:53 am

The shear east of 130 latitude is increasing, but the shear on the waters near the eastern side of the Philippines is pretty weak. By the way, I am basing my analysis to this chart: http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic2/real-time/windmain.php?&basin=westpac&sat=wgms&prod=sht&zoom=&time=. If it takes more time to organize and strengthen on its current position before it moves somewhere else, then there is a high chance for it to develop. I agree with Typhoon Hunter, this is one invest to watch out for. :)

Sorry for the ignorance, but what does upper level divergence contribute to the formation of tropical cyclones? Alll I know at this point are the shear's effect on a system, high STT's contributing to a system's consolidation and the steering environment affecting a system's movements, but I don't know much about this upper level divergence. :ggreen: Thanks.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby dexterlabio » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:56 am

I guess this is the one they're referring to.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Typhoon Hunter

#11 Postby Typhoon Hunter » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:41 am

dexterlabio wrote:The shear east of 130 latitude is increasing, but the shear on the waters near the eastern side of the Philippines is pretty weak. By the way, I am basing my analysis to this chart: http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic2/real-time/windmain.php?&basin=westpac&sat=wgms&prod=sht&zoom=&time=. If it takes more time to organize and strengthen on its current position before it moves somewhere else, then there is a high chance for it to develop. I agree with Typhoon Hunter, this is one invest to watch out for. :)

Sorry for the ignorance, but what does upper level divergence contribute to the formation of tropical cyclones? Alll I know at this point are the shear's effect on a system, high STT's contributing to a system's consolidation and the steering environment affecting a system's movements, but I don't know much about this upper level divergence. :ggreen: Thanks.

Very basically upper level divergence helps ventilate the storm as the air moves upwards and then spreads outwards. I'm sure someone like KWT or a pro-met could explain in a more expert manner!
0 likes   

Typhoon10
Category 1
Category 1

#12 Postby Typhoon10 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:55 am

I know HKO's Computer Prediction model is always reliable, but their 72hr model now shows as not much happening!
0 likes   

Typhoon10
Category 1
Category 1

#13 Postby Typhoon10 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:16 am

Gone from NRL site already!
0 likes   

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby dexterlabio » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:23 am

^Yeah. I'm surprised to see the convection dies out quickly. Well I'm not sure what's happening to it though this tells me that something nasty has affected it.
0 likes   

Typhoon Hunter

#15 Postby Typhoon Hunter » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:52 am

It has very clear strong curved bands and what looks to be a pretty solid circulation (I know we don't have vis satellite right now) approaching an almost zero shear environment with plenty of moist air and boilings SSTs. God only knows why they dropped this after only 12 hours....
0 likes   

Chacor
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby Chacor » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:52 am

Should be approaching diurnal fluctuations around now, maybe that's playing a part.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby KWT » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:53 am

Yeah I'd not be quite so quick to dismiss it but then again given the way this season has gone in the WPAC probably nothing will come of it! :roll:
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

dhoeze
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#18 Postby dhoeze » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:42 pm

But it left something... trying to form...

0 likes   
"Productivity is never an accident. It is always the result of a commitment to excellence, intelligent planning, and focused effort."

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby StormingB81 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:04 pm

I do not know the conditions around that area however that looks liek a pretty good storm.
0 likes   

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby dexterlabio » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:52 am

It failed to develop before hitting the land mass, but the disturbance far east of the Philippines caught my attention now.
0 likes   

Return to “2010”