ATL: Ex-Tropical Storm HERMINE - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: ATL: Ex-Tropical Storm HERMINE - Discussion

#761 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:37 pm

somethingfunny wrote:6.92" here in Garland. The max seems to be nearly 11" in Keller, as far as DFW goes. I'll try to find a total precipitation map. This system really nailed all of the major inland metro areas in Texas all together - San Antonio, Austin, Killeen/Fort Hood, and DFW seem to be the epicenters of damage with relatively little outside of the immediate I-35 corridor.

If models and projections are right, it will hit a lot of populated areas ahead too...
0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: Tropical Depression HERMINE - Discussion

#762 Postby Category 5 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:18 pm

0 likes   
"GAME SET MATCH GIANTS WILL WIN THE NFC EAST and have a FIRST ROUND BYE with a win next week!!!" - StormingB81, the Giants lost, and did not win the NFC east.

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#763 Postby TwisterFanatic » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:22 pm

Have a tornado warning here in SE Oklahoma.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#764 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:27 pm

We've had at least 3 to 4-inches of rain today in most of Grayson County, some places more. Flooding in Grayson County including one high water rescue in Sherman. And a tornado or microburst causing damage to several homes and destroying at least one in Calera, Okla. just across the state line.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

HarlequinBoy
Category 5
Category 5

#765 Postby HarlequinBoy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:37 pm

New tornado watch just went up.

Good couplet in Nevada County, Arkansas.
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#766 Postby TwisterFanatic » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:39 pm

Dr. Greg Forbes said look for the Low Level jet to fire up tonight and cause tremendous rain for North Texas and Eastern Oklahoma. Tornado warnings and watches out now.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

utweather
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Tornado threat increasing?

#767 Postby utweather » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:47 pm

theregulator wrote:
artist wrote:there have already been several deaths associated with Hermine and there are other people missing in Texas

I've been "tweeting" on this heavily since the storm made landfall (http://www.twitter.com/trmyhre), and I am thoroughly amazed at the lack of action on the part of @TexGov (Texas Governor Perry) to ask for any Federal assistance or declaration of disaster. What more has to happen before this becomes a significant enough a catastrophe?

Could it be the lingering and now increasing threat of tornadoes? http://www.texasstormchasers.com/2010/0 ... ncreasing/

Yeah, that is interesting that nothing has been said from Governor Perry, I've been so busy following the weather that I forgot. Most of the heavy rain was to my west. Still got 4 inches. But Perry is definitely a limited gov't help type, unless its business of course, j/k maybe? But I would imagine tomorrow once the damage assement from the dfw comes in he'll say something. Austin is close enough to get his attention, but Brownsville not so much.. Also looks like that I-35 band is still trying to refire, occasional thunder and brief scattered downpours still.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Tornado threat increasing?

#768 Postby artist » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:06 pm

utweather wrote:
theregulator wrote:
artist wrote:there have already been several deaths associated with Hermine and there are other people missing in Texas

I've been "tweeting" on this heavily since the storm made landfall (http://www.twitter.com/trmyhre), and I am thoroughly amazed at the lack of action on the part of @TexGov (Texas Governor Perry) to ask for any Federal assistance or declaration of disaster. What more has to happen before this becomes a significant enough a catastrophe?

Could it be the lingering and now increasing threat of tornadoes? http://www.texasstormchasers.com/2010/0 ... ncreasing/

Yeah, that is interesting that nothing has been said from Governor Perry, I've been so busy following the weather that I forgot. Most of the heavy rain was to my west. Still got 4 inches. But Perry is definitely a limited gov't help type, unless its business of course, j/k maybe? But I would imagine tomorrow once the damage assement from the dfw comes in he'll say something. Austin is close enough to get his attention, but Brownsville not so much.. Also looks like that I-35 band is still trying to refire, occasional thunder and brief scattered downpours still.

there is a policy here of no politics but-

Gov. Perry Activates State Resources as Flooding Threatens Texas Communities
Wednesday, September 08, 2010 • Austin, Texas
Gov. Rick Perry today directed the activation of state search and rescue capabilities, including Texas Military Forces personnel and resources, as heavy rains and flooding from Tropical Storm Hermine continue to threaten Texas communities.

“I urge all Texans to realize the dangers of crossing flooded roadways and respect the barricades put in place by officials to protect Texans’ lives,” Gov. Perry said. “Remember these words: turn around, don’t drown. Texans in the path of this storm must do their part to stay safe, and I want to assure them that the state will continue to provide assistance to local emergency responders and local officials throughout this severe weather event.”

Heavy rains have caused flooding in central Texas that led to a number of rescue operations by local emergency responders, some evacuations and sheltering. The National Weather Service has predicted that this system is capable of dumping up to 12 inches of rainfall in some areas as this system continues to move through Texas.

The following state resources have been activated in response to this storm:

• 48 Texas Military Forces personnel and 10 high profile vehicles
• 2 Texas Military Forces UH-60 Blackhawk helicopters
• 4 Texas Task Force 1 swift water rescue teams, comprised of 20 personnel

The Texas Department of Public Safety, Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) and volunteer organizations will continue to support local partners throughout this storm.

Additionally, TxDOT is coordinating road closures in affected areas as necessary. For more information about road closures, please visit http://www.txdot.gov/travel/road_conditions.htm

The State Operations Center continues to work with the National Weather Service to monitor the storm system.

maybe the news just isn't reporting it. :wink:
http://governor.state.tx.us/news/press-release/15119/
0 likes   

fasterdisaster
Category 5
Category 5

#769 Postby fasterdisaster » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:25 pm

Does Hermine have a chance of being retired based on these impacts?
0 likes   

Wthrman13
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#770 Postby Wthrman13 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:48 pm

The intensity is nothing compared to Erin in 2007, but I find it interesting that we are getting a similar intensification of convection near the center of circulation with Hermine: Image

The winds have picked up to about 20 mph sustained here in Norman, with gusts over 30: http://www.mesonet.org/index.php/weather/meteogram/
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#771 Postby artist » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:50 pm

yeah, Hermine is not wanting to let it up much it seems. Quite an image you posted there. Amazing to think how far he has traveled inland yet still looks like that.
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#772 Postby TwisterFanatic » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:25 pm

I got 5 minutes of 45 mph sustained winds here in oklahoma a few minutes ago. crazy stuff
0 likes   

Ad Novoxium
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#773 Postby Ad Novoxium » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:50 am

fasterdisaster wrote:Does Hermine have a chance of being retired based on these impacts?

Somehow, I doubt it. Allison was a large way more destructive, and compared to that, I doubt Hermine has much of a shot, but if the damage totals come in, it may tip the scale. Right now, I'd say 15%.
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#774 Postby TwisterFanatic » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:05 am

5.73 inches of rain in 3 hours and still pouring.. :(
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#775 Postby TwisterFanatic » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:15 am

Up to 7.45 in 4 hours... Still pouring gonna be a long night.
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#776 Postby TwisterFanatic » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:02 am

Getting very dicey here. 9.21 inches or rain tonight. Still pouring, a band has set up over us and is very persistent.
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#777 Postby senorpepr » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:23 am

Latest advisory from HPC has Hermine listed as remnants rather than a tropical depression. Therefore, I have adjusted the name to it's post-tropical format.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: ATL: Ex-Tropical Storm HERMINE - Discussion

#778 Postby southerngale » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:09 am

Code: Select all

RAINFALL TOTALS
---------------
SELECTED STORM TOTAL RAINFALL IN INCHES THROUGH 10 AM CDT  THU SEP 09 2010

...ARKANSAS...
CLARKSVILLE 1.7 N                    4.03                     
HARRISON/BOONE CO. ARPT              3.78                     
JASPER 2.1 NW                        3.50                     
LAMAR 5.7 NNE                        3.36                     
SPRINGDALE 5.8 ENE                   3.04                     
BUSCH 0.4 E                          2.80                     
EUREKA SPRINGS 0.5 N                 2.78                     
FAYETTEVILLE/SPRINGDALE              2.71                     
PEA RIDGE 0.2 WSW                    2.52                     
MAGAZINE 3.0 NNW                     2.52                     
BENTONVILLE 0.6 W                    2.48                     
WESTERN GROVE 0.1 SSE                2.40                     
DECATUR 2.6 ESE                      2.38                     
BELLA VISTA 2.0 E                    2.33                     

...KANSAS...
HUMBOLDT 4.6 ESE                     2.26                     
IOLA 2.7 SSE                         2.18                     

...MISSOURI...
NOEL 3.7 NNW                         4.40                     
SELIGMAN 3.0 N                       2.53                     
KIMBERLING CITY 1.5 WNW              2.35                     
SHELL KNOB 5.6 ESE                   2.22                     
JOPLIN RGNL ARPT                     2.21                     
GALENA 2.4 NW                        2.10                     
EMERALD BEACH 3.0 S                  2.08                     

...OKLAHOMA...
EUFAULA 4.6 ENE                     10.35                     
PURCELL 6.7 W                        6.14                     
BOWLEGS                              5.17                     
HOLDENVILLE                          5.12                     
TECUMSEH 0.4 ESE                     5.05                     
NOBLE 3.3 SE                         4.64                     
NORMAN 10.9 ESE                      4.50                     
ADA 0.3 NNW                          4.50                     
SULPHUR 2.5 WSW                      3.95                     
ETOWAH 5.9 NNW                       3.91                     
TULSA 6.0 SSW                        3.71                     
MUSKOGEE/DAVIS FIELD AIRPORT         3.53                     

...TEXAS...
GEORGETOWN                          15.62                     
FRISCO 1.9 N                        14.82                     
ANDERSON MILL 1.4 NW                13.19                     
JOLLYVILLE 2.1 SSW                  13.14                     
CEDAR PARK 1.0 ESE                  12.99                     
LEANDER 2.5 ESE                     12.71                     
KILLEEN 2.9 SSW                     12.38                     
AUSTIN 10.7 N                       11.95                     
BRUSHY CREEK 1.4 S                  11.87                     
WEST LAKE HILLS 2.4 NNW             11.69                     
FORT WORTH 5.4 SSW                   7.48                     
SAN ANTONIO/STINSON MUNI ARPT        6.73                     
HOUSTON 1.4 NE                       4.47                     
CORPUS CHRISTI NAS                   3.17   

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/tcpat5.html
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#779 Postby TwisterFanatic » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:23 pm

Here in my town we had massive flooding. Schools are closed, businesses are flooded it is terrible. 10.56 inches of rain last night alone.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re:

#780 Postby southerngale » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:29 pm

TwisterFanatic wrote:Here in my town we had massive flooding. Schools are closed, businesses are flooded it is terrible. 10.56 inches of rain last night alone.

What is your town? You can add your location to your profile so we know where you're talking about when you post.
(User Control Panel in the top right corner, then Profile and add your location)

And sorry to hear about the massive flooding. :(
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

Return to “2010”