WPAC: FANAPI - Tropical Depression (1011/12W/Inday)

Moderator: S2k Moderators

P.K.
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: WPAC: FANAPI - Typhoon (1011/12W/Inday)

#281 Postby P.K. » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:31 am

Not sure I can recall any TY in recent years which hasn't been affected by the mountains like this in some way. It is typical for TYs approaching from this angle to end up doing a full loop.
0 likes   

RobWESTPACWX
WestPACMet
WestPACMet

#282 Postby RobWESTPACWX » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:46 am

I know I have seen this before, not sure when.. I'm sure a lot of people are kicking themselves for not taking the mountains as such a large factor as far as track (myself included) of course we knew the orographic nature was going to increase precip but this job to the S is something to awe at.

JMA has picked up on it on there last update as well. I'm sure JT will follow suit.
0 likes   
Satellites, Charts and Forecasting tools for East Asia at WESTERNPACIFICWEATHER.COM

ResidentOfTaiwan
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#283 Postby ResidentOfTaiwan » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:59 am

Just went up on my roof and took a compass reading. The clouds over Taipei are moving in a from the southeast direction (but closer to south) to the north direction. Of course, I can only see the lowest clouds. Not sure how much that helps you. We are only getting light rain.

How are the clouds in Kaoshiung, TaiwanGuest?
0 likes   

RobWESTPACWX
WestPACMet
WestPACMet

#284 Postby RobWESTPACWX » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:03 am

You took an ob for us! From the roof nice!

That does help, it confirms the storm is to your SW. (Thumb rule if you do that again in the future, if you are facing the wind low pressure will be to your right.) So sounds about right.

Thanks, any reports of damage or non-such there?
0 likes   
Satellites, Charts and Forecasting tools for East Asia at WESTERNPACIFICWEATHER.COM

TaiwanGuest
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#285 Postby TaiwanGuest » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:06 am

Ha! My kitchen is flooded already, I expect the LR to flood soon, because the balcony is swamped, and the seven eleven delivery guy across the road is wading in knee deep water! Of course, this is due to street leve drainage problems, but still. The wind is still strong enough down here to sway the building, too. This is quite the storm from my point of view.
0 likes   

ResidentOfTaiwan
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#286 Postby ResidentOfTaiwan » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:06 am

I'll go face the wind and do it again. How do I recognize low pressure?

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's any damage in Taipei. I went back to 7-11 a few hours ago and people's umbrellas weren't blowing away from them. We can hear gusts and howls from time to tme.
0 likes   

ResidentOfTaiwan
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#287 Postby ResidentOfTaiwan » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:25 am

and Rob, I'm looking forward to your next video. By the way...

Hualien is pronounced WAH-lee-en.

Kaoshiung is pronounced GOW-shung

Tainan is pronounced Tie-NAN

Taichung is pronounced Tie-CHUNG

Miaoli is pronounced Mee-OW-lee

Thanks for looking out for us!
:D
0 likes   

ResidentOfTaiwan
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#288 Postby ResidentOfTaiwan » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:30 am

here's a quote from the Taiwan forum:
WTF? The typhoon is down south so what is all this wind in Xizhi? We've lost half the garden... It's still not safe to go out, people. Don't be fooled!

Xizhi is an area of Taipei. I may think twice about venturing on the roof again, but I could do it from the balcony. :raincloud:

Oh, and this is from a few minutes ago. Xindian is in Taipei county
It really is surprisingly windy here, still, as well. "Here" being a few blocks from the Qizhang MRT, across from the Gigabyte building. About an hour and a half ago, I saw a woman riding a bicycle up the lane under my windows get BLOWN OFF of her bike and on to the ground. She got up right away and walked the bike, but that is pretty strong... there were a few gusts as I walked back from Carrefour at about 2:45 that tried to push me off my feet. The sun is out and it's raining... I think we must be getting some of the edge of it now.

No getting up on the roof for me man. :sick:
Last edited by ResidentOfTaiwan on Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

ResidentOfTaiwan
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#289 Postby ResidentOfTaiwan » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:33 am

RobWESTPACWX wrote:You took an ob for us! From the roof nice!

That does help, it confirms the storm is to your SW. (Thumb rule if you do that again in the future, if you are facing the wind low pressure will be to your right.) So sounds about right.

If the storm is moving to the SW, why are the clouds over Taipei blowing to the north?
0 likes   

RobWESTPACWX
WestPACMet
WestPACMet

#290 Postby RobWESTPACWX » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:38 am

Resident of Taiwan, I just printed out how to pronounce that stuff.. Thanks! I just know locals sometimes are going, ha thats not how you pronounce it!

As far as those winds near Taipei, could be a few things. Katabatic winds or down slope winds. A local effect. Also funneling could be playing a role. Both due to mountains if there are some in the immediate vicinity. Overall Taipai should be in the clear but you guys are the observers on the ground, if it still looks dangerous stay safe and inside!

Thanks for watching the videos as well. Just posted a new one. Took some time to upload so about an hour old now. Hope you stay safe and thanks again for the obs and reports. I'm off to dinner now, this typhoon has kept me busy at work and at home so I'v been neglecting the family, off to Chillis we go!

O and on another note, love this forum! Thanks again infidoll for sending me the link. Just great!
0 likes   

RobWESTPACWX
WestPACMet
WestPACMet

#291 Postby RobWESTPACWX » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:41 am

ResidentOfTaiwan wrote:
RobWESTPACWX wrote:You took an ob for us! From the roof nice!

If the storm is moving to the SW, why are the clouds over Taipei blowing to the north?

Typhoons have that feel about them, remember the storm is rotating counterclockwise all the while moving in a general direction. Your location is right about at 3 o clock in the rotation with the overall storm moving off to the SW. So your winds will still be out of the SSE but overall should be decreasing as the system itself moves away.

I'm not sure if that helps...
0 likes   

TaiwanGuest
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#292 Postby TaiwanGuest » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:45 am

The stuff that holds the air con in the window in one of the bedrooms is getting torn out, two rooms are flooded, and the building is still swaying in the wind. I missed the big typhoon last year, but I've been through a lot of other ones--this is the worst one yet. I know people in the north are feeling kind of anti-climactic about it all, but this is no joke down here!
0 likes   

RobWESTPACWX
WestPACMet
WestPACMet

#293 Postby RobWESTPACWX » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:47 am

Wow, stay safe there please, thanks for the reports. That is pretty dramatic and well realized that you are still in the thick of it.
0 likes   

Infdidoll
Category 2
Category 2

Re:

#294 Postby Infdidoll » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:11 am

TaiwanGuest wrote:The stuff that holds the air con in the window in one of the bedrooms is getting torn out, two rooms are flooded, and the building is still swaying in the wind. I missed the big typhoon last year, but I've been through a lot of other ones--this is the worst one yet. I know people in the north are feeling kind of anti-climactic about it all, but this is no joke down here!

You have people like that in every storm. Some that are just disappointed because they wanted the adrenaline rush and some that would walk away from 200 mph winds saying, "That was nothing!" just to prove how big and bad they are. Rest assured, some of them were probably crapping their pants even if they refused to admit it. lol :roll:

I've had a busy day here and haven't gotten to check in since noon. Wow - interesting facts about how the topography has played such a factor in the track. I was watching that eye slide down the Taiwan coast like a fireman's pole and since I'm not as experienced as other storm watchers here, I haven't seen that before. Pretty neat to see. Looks like folks around Tainan probably getting some good gusts, right now, from radar.

Interesting on the Taiwan weather site - a 4.4 earthquake has been reported in Hualien...but it seems like there is an earthquake just about every day there looking at the data so maybe that's not unusual. Sorry to hear about the flooding! I can't imagine how frustrating that must be. I hope there hasn't been much flooding in other areas, but haven't heard many damage reports out of there just yet. I'll check back later this evening. My husband's deployed, I'm the sole parent around here, and I have two little ones yelling for dinner.

Have fun at Chili's, Rob! (So funny - we have them on base here, too!) I'm glad you're here, too. You're proving to be a priceless assset to the discussions along with so many here.
0 likes   

TaiwanGuest
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#295 Postby TaiwanGuest » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:26 am

I'm uploading a video I took about ten minutes ago from my balcony. There was a lull in the wind and rain--I woudn't walk out there now if you paid me! The wind is stronger now than before.

Actually, there are lots and lots of earthquakes, but the last storm that came through with a lot of wind, we ended having quakes, too. There's some talk of wind blowing against huge buildings triggering the quakes from pressure on the faults--but even if that's real, that shouldn't be the case in Hualien. I guess mother nature maybe thought that they didn't have enough going on there today, or something!

Anyway, I'll post or link to that video once it uploads.
0 likes   

windysocks
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#296 Postby windysocks » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:35 am

According to the HK Observatory, Fanapi is due to cross over on the Fujian - Guangdong border and then move southwards behind HK as a tropical depression.

http://www.hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/currwx/tc_pos.htm

We're at Typhoon Signal No. 1 here. And we've just had the most beautiful purple sunset...
0 likes   

Crostorm
Category 5
Category 5

#297 Postby Crostorm » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 am

0 likes   

ResidentOfTaiwan
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#298 Postby ResidentOfTaiwan » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:05 am

0 likes   

TaiwanGuest
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#299 Postby TaiwanGuest » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:35 am

Took foreve to upload, but here's my video. I took another one in the morning, but don't think I'll bother with that one.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v94/momosmom/?action=view&current=TyphoonFanapi2001.mp4
0 likes   

Chacor
Category 5
Category 5

#300 Postby Chacor » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:51 am

Continues to rapidly weaken, Taiwan really took a toll on the storm. Down to 50 kt at 09z and likely will be downgraded to a TS at 12z.
0 likes   

Return to “2010”