Reports & Checkin Newfoundland, CA, et al for Hurricane Igor

Moderator: S2k Moderators

artist
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Reports & Check in for those affected by Hurricane Igor

#41 Postby artist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:39 am

Ruth: Latest Belco (power co.)update

They stress IT IS A MYTH that Belco will turn power off at 6pm but rumours persist. This is straight from them - it is NOT true.

A spokeswoman said: "Belco does not shut down power. We do everything possible to keep power on to as many customers as possible at all times."

Total customers out as of 10:00 am – approx 2500

Crews are working to restore power.

Circuits Out

Evans Bay 280 – Granaway Heights area Customers affected 1015 (this has gone out several times)

Branch Lines Out

Jubilee Road/Watlington Road

Cottage Hill/Abbotts Crescent

Loyalty Estate/Loyalty Drive

Sofar Drive

Hinson Lane

Ocean Avenue

Tribe Rd 2 Warwick

South Road Warwick (area of The Breakers, Sea Cliffs)

Several smaller branch lines
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby artist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:55 am

St. Davids
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby artist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:58 am

10:48 Ruth: Here is what David saw on his drive home.
“Some large branches have fallen down at the Botanical Gardens. The South Shore Road along the Botanical Gardens is covered in six to eight inches of water.
Sunday September 19, 2010 10:48 Ruth
10:50 Ruth: He added: "At the roundabout where Johnny Barnes stands, at Trimmingham Road water is up to the bus shelter. One small boat has already sunk off of the Dinghy Club.” Sunday September 19, 2010 10:50 Ruth
10:50 [Comment From Robert davies Robert davies : ]
gusts are shakin the boards on my house
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby artist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:00 am

Hurricane Igor Kills Two In Caribbean
September 19, 2010 by bernews · Leave a Comment

Hurricane Igor, currently nearing Bermuda, is being blamed for two suspected deaths in the Caribbean. The US Coast Guard was searching on Saturday night for a young woman who was swept out to sea in Puerto Rico and a boy who went missing at a beach in St. Croix.

Both disappearances were blamed on large swells and dangerous currents kicked up by Igor. The Category One hurricane, although tracking north towards Bermuda, is nevertheless creating waves up to 12-feet high that were battering the north coast of Puerto Rico and parts of the US Virgin Islands.

Atha Reyes Pérez, 18, and her husband José Reyes Lugo, 19, were both hit by a rogue wave at Posa de Obispo Beach in the Islote area of Arecibo, Puerto Rico early Friday afternoon.

Reyes Lugo was pulled to shore by other beach-goers, but Reyes Pérez was apparently pulled out to sea. Coast Guard and Puerto Rican Police Department Maritime Unit crews launched a search for the young woman. In St. Croix, 16-year-old Aaron Holmes was pulled out to sea by strong currents while at the beach with his father and sister.

The Bermuda Weather Service believes Igor will strengthen again as it nears the island. It’s predicted the hurricane will pass over Bermuda as a Category 2 storm with sustained winds of 98 miles per hour and gusts of 121 miles per hour.

We would like both stress these deaths occurred in the Caribbean, not Bermuda, as well as take this opportunity to remind Bermudians to stay indoors during the hurricane.

http://www.bernews.com

Everyone please stay safe!
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#45 Postby artist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:13 am

11:12 Tim: Belco spokeswoman Susan McGrath-Smith says 2,500 customers were without power at 10 a.m. Crews are trying to get it back and Belco has a team on both sides of the Causeway.

"Belco continues to evaluate weather conditions regarding crew response," she said.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby artist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:45 am

sailboat on the rocks- The Bernews
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby artist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:14 am

11:59 Tim: More from Sam Strangeways, another of our reporters in Smith's.

The weather is crazy outside. I just tried to make it to the end of my drive to take a look down the road where I live, but I'm on top of a hill and it felt like I might get blown off! There were lots of leaves swirling around and the trees were swaying precariously, but I didn't seen any that had actually blown over. The waves on the south shore are incredible - from what I can see through the driving rain.
I spoke to Opposition leader Kim Swan about half an hour ago and he said he hadn't seen any tornado activity in the east end yet (he lives at the top of Fort George Hill). He said: "It's very windy right now. I don't see anything out of the ordinary as yet. We still have power."
Sunday September 19, 2010 11:59 Tim
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#48 Postby artist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:28 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFc5TloAIvI[/youtube]
Southamptons Road area earlier today
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#49 Postby artist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:31 am

1:16 Ruth: There are now 6,100 homes without power across the Island according to Belco. Sunday September 19, 2010 1:16 Ruth

live chat
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#50 Postby artist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:06 pm

latest video from the Royal Gazette at link-
http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Article/ ... ctionId=60
0 likes   

msbee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#51 Postby msbee » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:52 pm

stormcarib reports from Bermuda storm correspondents

http://www.stormcarib.com/reports/current/bermuda.shtml
0 likes   
Too many hurricanes to remember

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#52 Postby artist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:24 pm

3:14 Ruth: Did you see what we just posted?

Gusts are now at hurricane force as Igor closes in on Bermuda.

Sustained winds at L.F. Wade International Airport were at 46 knots (53 miles per hour), with gusts at 64 knots (74 mph) just after 2 p.m., according to Bermuda Weather Service.
Sunday September 19, 2010 3:14 Ruth
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#53 Postby artist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:26 pm

3:20 Ruth: We just heard that all Belco crews have been called in Sunday September 19, 2010 3:20 Ruth

Belco is the electric co. that has done a good job returning power as it has gone out, but they are now being told to halt work until after the storm as conditions are worsening.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#54 Postby artist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:22 pm

Bernews.com

I can't get the video to come us so here is the link-

http://www.youtube.com/user/bernewsdotc ... AQSfItfSWU
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#55 Postby artist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:29 pm

ImageKhyber Pass
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#56 Postby artist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:49 pm

:48 Tim: An update here from Susan McGrath-Smith of Belco:

Total customers out as of 4:00 PM – approx 16,000. Belco has approx 35,500 customers, so about half the Island is without power.

All crews have been stood down for safety reasons until storm force winds abate. Any emergencies will be dealt with by opening circuit breakers from Ops Centre.

Circuits Out: Total of 24 mainline circuits across the island.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#57 Postby artist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:00 pm

4:54 Ruth: Mark Tatem, The Royal Gazette photographer who has been covering most of the Island, was in the Flatts area at 3.45 p.m.
“The wind has definitely increased,” he said. “The rain is coming in sideways, basically it is very rough. Trees are down and there are branches blowing all over the place and there is lots of debris flying.
“The rain is coming down hard , I am wearing a full rain suit but I am still not dry.”
Sunday September 19, 2010 4:54 Ruth
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#58 Postby artist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:14 pm

from a few hours ago on South Shore on Paget
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utp0ZbmSU4c&feature=player_profilepage#![/youtube]
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby artist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:37 pm

7:20 [Comment From Cavell Cavell : ]
sitting below lighthouse and the wind sound like a jet plane.
7:30 [Comment From chris chris : ]
one fishing boat and one sailboat down in mangrove bay. be safe this is going to be a long one
7:33 Tim Smith: Anyone in St. George's seen any tornadoes? Sunday September 19, 2010 7:33 Tim Smith
7:34 [Comment From Guest Guest : ]
Why do the EMO insist that everyone listen to 100.1 when they don't give any up to date information - just bad music and recorded messages. Your blog site and the commercial radio stations are far more informative - but then these are not necessarily being the mouthpiece of the EMO.

live chat Royal Gazette

Hurricane Igor
By "Cordell W. Riley " <criley at cwbda.bm>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 19:05:49 -0300

The island's only electricity supply company has reported that nearly 50% of the homes on the island are now without electricity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- 630 update
By mdyer at myhome.bm
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:35:15 +0000

The winds are strong and constant and heavy rain is sporadic where I am. The
oleanders are bending so far over they look like they will touch the ground.
There is an almost constant roar. I do not know if we are getting the hurricane
force winds yet as I have had no power since 6 this morning. Funny there are
still a few tree frogs singing..my guess is the worst is yet to come. Will try
to send later. Marion
Sent from my BlackBerry® device from Digicel

from stormcarib.com
As Bermuda is in the middle of being battered by Hurricane Igor, the predicted storm surge is causing waters to rise and as of now we are receiving many reports of flooding around the island, with the worst reports coming from The Boaz Island Condos in Sandy’s parish. We just received the photo below, which appears to show people walking in thigh deep water at Boaz Island
:36pm: Bit of distressing news….there was an incident in Paget which resulted in the death of a pet..a kitten. The details are a tad gory, so we won’t go into them.

5:49pm: We have hundreds of photos up from when the storm was approaching, you can view them here.

6:00pm: Large scale flooding has started to occur in the West End, residents of the Boaz Island condos are pictured here literally walking in thigh deep water. Additional photos here.

6:34pm: BELCO reports approximately 19,500 customers were without power as of 6pm, this is approx 60% of Bermuda. More details here.

7:10pm:The Government tender boat “Bermudian” broke from its moorings earlier today. The buoy to which it was attached is still in its original location but the Govt tender is being slammed by the surf against the shoreline. Depending on the amount of damage received, it may not be available to tender passengers of the visiting Veendam if she comes in this Tuesday. Photos here and here.

above from bernews.com

Our thoughts and prayers are with all in Bermuda.

(now off to fix dinner)
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#60 Postby artist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:40 pm

Twenty-one people injured in Igor so far
Updates from across the Island

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ruth O'Kelly-Lynch and Sam Strangeways

Photo by Mark Tatem A damaged boat is slammed into the shoreline by waves at Devonshire Bay. 19.9.10
Mark Tatem

Twenty-one people have received treatment throughout the course of today.

Meanwhile power is out for 19,500 customers as of 6 p.m. on Sunday, September 19, 2010.

A Bermuda Hospital Board spokeswoman told The Royal Gazette so far 18 people have been treated at the emergency room at King Edward VII Memorial Hospital and three at the Lambe Foggo Urgent Care Centre in the East End.

She added that Bermuda does not have a Hurricane Igor baby yet.

According to the Bermuda Weather Service the storm has weakened slightly from earlier reports today. It is also veering slightly away from the Island. At 10 p.m. tonight it is expected to be 47 nautical miles to the west of Bermuda. See separate story for full update.

The Royal Gazette spoke with Police spokesman Dwayne Caines at 6 p.m. He stressed the need for people to get home unless they are emergency workers.

"There's absolutely no storm-related collisions, accidents or anything like that to report at this point," he said. "Our critical message at ths time is that unless you need to be on the roads, don't be."

A spokeswoman for the Ministry of Public Safety said there were 48 men, 11 women and three children in the emergency shelter at CedarBridge Academy - with more expected before the winds pick up tonight.

Belco has said power is down for more than half its customers, but The Royal Gazette is still managing to report throughout the storm.

Readers around the world and those on Island who still have power are getting timely updates on Follow it Live. To join us you can click the Follow It Live logo on the right hand side of our home page.

Here is what our reporters have to say.

Mark Tatem, The Royal Gazette photographer who has been covering most of the Island, was in the Flatts area at 3.45 p.m.

"The wind has definitely increased," he said. "The rain is coming in sideways, basically it is very rough. Trees are down and there are branches blowing all over the place and there is lots of debris flying.

"The rain is coming down hard , I am wearing a full rain suit but I am still not dry.

Reporter Sam Strangeways was near South Shore in Smith’s around 3.30 p.m. and said she could barely see the ocean.

"I can't see it at all now as the air is so thick with rain," she reported. "The trees are no longer swaying - they look like they're about to take off! I didn't stay out for long as those winds are immense - it's quite scary to feel the force of them.

"I can't imagine what a Category 4 would be like."

While out Ms Strangeways met a man who had just been to Spittal Pond. He said the winds were so strong he could not stand up when he got out of his car.

Humma Mumtaz, 38, from Birmingham is visiting Ms Strangeways.

"My friend has cabin fever but is also loving it, in a way," Ms Strangeways said. "She says she's totally heartened to see how islanders all come together and are so concerned about everyone's wellbeing."

Ms Mumtaz said: "We have all these divisions, problems and prejudices but this is a revealing side of what humanity is all about. I really will take that back with me."

Nadia Arandjelovic is in Somerset. At 1.39 p.m. today she reported: "Electricity has just now gone out. There is still a lot of debris outside but most of the trees look like they are holding up."

Stay tuned for more updates throughout the storm.

Photo by Mark Tatem A damaged boat is slammed into the shoreline by waves at Devonshire Bay. 19.9.10
Mark Tatem
0 likes   

Return to “2010”