Reports & Checkin Newfoundland, CA, et al for Hurricane Igor

Moderator: S2k Moderators

artist
Category 5
Category 5

Reports & Checkin Newfoundland, CA, et al for Hurricane Igor

#1 Postby artist » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:19 am

Our thoughts and prayers to those that will be affected by Hurricane Igor.
Please post as you can, what you are experiencing with Igor here.

Please be sure to check in here after your return, if you lose
communication, so we will know you are safe.
Know we are right there with you, as many of us have been where you
are.
Most of all stay safe! Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Unfortunately tanguy reports that Igor has already claimed the life of a fisherman on Guadaloupe from the swells.

MODS, could you sticky? Thank you~
Last edited by artist on Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

HUC
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Reports & Check in for those affected by Hurricane Igor

#2 Postby HUC » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:15 pm

Very rough seas on Guadeloupe,with NE swells 4meters some waves to 8 meters. Part of the road in the extreme point of the east coast named " Pointe des chateaux" is closed; in thet north coast ,huge waves also. More important a man reported dead yersterday afternoon ( was a coastal fisherman).
Stay tuned,but in our islands be on your guard wuth this very rough sea...
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Gustywind » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:34 pm

HUC wrote:Very rough seas on Guadeloupe,with NE swells 4meters some waves to 8 meters. Part of the road in the extreme point of the east coast named " Pointe des chateaux" is closed; in thet north coast ,huge waves also. More important a man reported dead yersterday afternoon ( was a coastal fisherman).

Thanks for this report HUC :) You're definitely right concerning the situation in Guadeloupe so let's continue to be on our guard!
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby artist » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:07 pm

HUC wrote:Very rough seas on Guadeloupe,with NE swells 4meters some waves to 8 meters. Part of the road in the extreme point of the east coast named " Pointe des chateaux" is closed; in thet north coast ,huge waves also. More important a man reported dead yersterday afternoon ( was a coastal fisherman).

thanks for this report HUC. Our thoughts go out to all being affected by Igor.
Please keep them coming!
0 likes   

msbee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby msbee » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:56 pm

We are having rough seas too. It is magnificent to watch the swells coming in though..
This picture was taken by a friend of mine.

I also just came back from taking some more pictures and I also took a short video.
I posted them on my blog.
Here is the link.
http://barcann.livejournal.com/195287.html
0 likes   
Too many hurricanes to remember

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby mf_dolphin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:17 pm

Thanks for the update. You need anyone down there to help hold the camera? :D
0 likes   

lostinthetriangle
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#7 Postby lostinthetriangle » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:06 pm

With the winds starting to pick up a little and the humidity and the temperature dropping, the main report from Bermuda is that the sales of Hurricane related supplies has done wonders for sales this quarter!

I waited 20 minutes to buy water, 15 minutes for the tarps and 10 for some emergency food. Heard tales of the police being called to a few locations as some tempers flared! But over all this is the time I am glad to be in Bermuda, when things really go bad, we do come together. Have seen it so many times...............
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby artist » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:36 pm

msbee wrote:We are having rough seas too. It is magnificent to watch the swells coming in though..
This picture was taken by a friend of mine.

I also just came back from taking some more pictures and I also took a short video.
I posted them on my blog.
Here is the link.
http://barcann.livejournal.com/195287.html

msbee, watched your video, and talk about just one long break out there! Wow! I am so glad Igor's mass has for the most part missed you guys. Thanks for sharing with us.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby artist » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:40 pm

lostinthetriangle wrote:With the winds starting to pick up a little and the humidity and the temperature dropping, the main report from Bermuda is that the sales of Hurricane related supplies has done wonders for sales this quarter!

I waited 20 minutes to buy water, 15 minutes for the tarps and 10 for some emergency food. Heard tales of the police being called to a few locations as some tempers flared! But over all this is the time I am glad to be in Bermuda, when things really go bad, we do come together. Have seen it so many times...............

thanks for your update there lost. We really appreciate knowing what is going on. So many of us here have been there, done that, and know the anxiety associated with the waiting so well. It is amazing how a community does, for the most part, all pull together in times such as these, isn't it?
Be safe, check in as you can, and know everyones thoughts and prayers are with you guys there.
0 likes   

plasticup
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby plasticup » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:17 am

Just spoke with my parents, who live their. The house it very sheltered so they aren't too worried about immediate damage, but they are preparing for the possibility that the power may be out for a long time.

Gas in the car, extra cash in the safe, flashlights, batteries, trays of ice cubes, gin, tonic...
0 likes   
Eyes: Emily '86, Dean '89, Felix '95, Gert '99, Fabian '03, Humberto '19, Paulette '20

artist
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#11 Postby artist » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:24 am

plasticup wrote:Just spoke with my parents, who live their. The house it very sheltered so they aren't too worried about immediate damage, but they are preparing for the possibility that the power may be out for a long time.

Gas in the car, extra cash in the safe, flashlights, batteries, trays of ice cubes, gin, tonic...

thanks so much for your report plasticup. Let them know we have them in our prayers and keep us updated. Will they have a way to communicate with you if the power goes out?
0 likes   

plasticup
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#12 Postby plasticup » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:41 am

artist wrote:Will they have a way to communicate with you if the power goes out?

Nope. Well, they charged extra cell phone batteries, but I kinda doubt that the cell towers will survive.
0 likes   
Eyes: Emily '86, Dean '89, Felix '95, Gert '99, Fabian '03, Humberto '19, Paulette '20

artist
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#13 Postby artist » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:43 am

plasticup wrote:
artist wrote:Will they have a way to communicate with you if the power goes out?

Nope. Well, they charged extra cell phone batteries, but I kinda doubt that the cell towers will survive.

is that how they get the internet as well? I know on St. Martin, if they have generators they can still get the internet.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#14 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:53 pm

Hopefully we will also get some reports from one of our storm chasers who is on his way to Bermuda. I know JTE50 is on his way there. If I remember correctly we have a few other members that said they are headed that way. We love the reports and knowing what is happening, but above all everyone please be safe!!
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#15 Postby cycloneye » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:16 pm

Bad news from Puerto Rico as a woman has vanished while she was at a beach.The husband was also swept by the fury of waves and rip currents, but managed to come out.

Por ELNUEVODIA.COM

Una joven desapareció esta tarde, luego que una ola supuestamente la arrastrara cuando compartía con su esposo a orillas de la playa en Arecibo.

Según un informe de la Policía, a eso de las 2:00 p.m., Aritha Reyes Pérez, de 18 años, y José Reyes Lugo, de 19, fueron arrastrados por una ola.

Reyes Lugo logró salir del agua con la ayuda de vecinos de la zona, pero Reyes Pérez continúa desaparecida.

La joven fue descrita como de de tez blanca, ojos marrones, pelo negro rizo y aproximadamente 130 libras.

Personal de la Unida Marítima de la Región de Arecibo, en unión a la Guardia Costanera participan en la búsqueda.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby artist » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:28 pm

I am so sorry to hear that Luis. The rip currents these storms create and so far away are so dangerous.

the above translated by babelfish-
By ELNUEVODIA.COM A young person disappeared behind schedule this, as soon as a wave dragged supposedly it when it shared with his husband to borders of the beach in Arecibo. According to a report of the Police, about the 2:00 p.m., Aritha Kings Perez, of 18 years, and Jose Kings Lugo, of 19, was dragged by a wave. Kings Lugo managed to leave the water with the neighbor aid of the zone, but Kings Perez continue missing. The young person was described like of of white complexion, brown eyes, curly black hair and approximately 130 pounds. Personnel of the Marine United one of the Region of Arecibo, in union to the Costanera Guard participates in the search.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby artist » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:36 pm

from the Bermuda Newspaper The Royal Gazette-

Hurricane Igor: Igor is "probably the worst storm we have seen"
Royal Navy on standby; schools closing; shelters ready today
By Tim Smith

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bermuda Weather Service director Dr. Mark Guishard, Minister of Safety Sen. David Burch and Police Commissioner Michael DeSilva speak during an EMO press conference about Hurricane Igor today.
Glenn Tucker

The Royal Navy, Bermuda Regiment and Reserve Police are all on standby as Bermuda prepares for “probably the worst storm we have seen”, Public Safety Minister David Burch said today.

Giving a progress report at 12.30 p.m. after an Emergency Measures Organisation meeting today, Sen. Burch said the worst effects of Hurricane Igor will begin lashing the Island late on Sunday night.

He said its closest point of approach would be 2 a.m. on Monday and warned of expected sustained winds of up to 90 knots and potential gusts of 110 knots, 100 mph to 125 mph.

Urging maximum caution from residents, the Minister revealed details of Bermuda’s contingency plans for the next few days, including:

l L.F. Wade International Airport will close on Saturday afternoon, probably until Monday;

l the Causeway will shut when easterly winds reach 50 knots — probably Sunday afternoon;

l people can use an emergency shelter at CedarBridge Academy from 5 p.m. today;

Bermuda Regiment will have a partial embodiment at Warwick Camp tomorrow; remaining soldiers and Reserve Police will be on standby;

l a Royal Navy frigate and helicopter will be off Bermuda during the storm and enter port afterwards to help;

l all public schools will be closed on Monday, with a full assessment on Tuesday before they open;

l King Edward VII Memorial Hospital is ready for action, as well as the Lambe Foggo Urgent Care Centre in the East End.

Hotels, Belco and telecommunications companies are said to have their own plans in place, while residents in low lying areas have been contacted to ensure their properties are secure.

As the storm dies down, residents are urged to avoid using the roads to explore any damage before the emergency teams make a full assessment.

“I really would like to stress to everyone in the Country it’s important that you prepare and take the necessary steps. This storm is probably the worst we have seen,” Sen. Burch told the press conference.

“We are just over 24 hours away from experiencing the beginning of what is expected to be the ferocious impact of Hurricane Igor.

“We have all heard the reports from the Bermuda Weather Service that this storm will be a long and punishing one and the potential for injury and physical damage is great.

“It is my sincere hope that you and your families take the remainder of today to finalise your hurricane preparations, by securing your homes, your property and ensuring that you have adequate supplies.”

Police Commissioner Michael DeSilva and Bermuda Weather Service director Mark Guishard also urged words of caution.

The Emergency Broadcast station at 100.1 FM is the official source for Hurricane Igor information, while EMO can be contacted after the storm has passed on 292-6325 or 292-6330.

Published: September 17. 2010 12:42PM

Update 2: BWS predicts a direct hit
Winds gusting up to 150 mph
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Ruth O’Kelly-Lynch and Jonathan Bell
Hurricane Igor will come within ten miles of Bermuda bringing winds of up to 150 mph, forecasters said this morning.

In its noon update, the Bermuda Weather Service said Igor's closest point would be at 1am on Monday when it would be ten nautical miles to the east of the Island.

The BWS said maximum winds would be between 105 knots to 130 knots - about 120 mph to 150 mph - with the storm moving at just eight knots, or nine mile per hour.

Last night Ken Smith, a meteorologist for the Bermuda Weather Service, said Bermuda should prepare for a virtually direct hit, adding the Island could see 37 hours of gale force winds starting Sunday.

And AccuWeather hurricane expert Joe Bastardi said Bermuda should be prepared for a “several-day siege of damaging winds and waves”.

At 9 p.m. last night Mr. Smith said: "The current forecast closest point of approach is 11 p.m. Sunday with the storm approximately 15 nautical miles to our southeast.”

The Island proper can expect about 37 hours of tropical storm force winds, about 21 hours of storm force winds, and about 11 hours of hurricane force winds.
"At this time it appears that Igor will be a strong Category 2 or possibly a Category 3 storm as it passes Bermuda, and our current forecast is for winds reaching 75-90 knots [85 miles per hour to 104 miles per hour] with gusts 110 knots [126 miles per hour] this could be revised upward as we move forward.

"Hurricane Igor is very similar to Hurricane Fabian. Fabian was a Category 3 storm as it crossed Bermuda and the track was also very similar to Igor.”

Last night Igor was approximately 435 miles wide.

Yesterday, Government continued to urge people to prepare for a storm they described as the most serious since Hurricane Fabian in 2003.

That hurricane left four people dead and millions of dollars worth of damage.

Today the Emergency Measures Organisation is due to meet at 10.30 a.m. followed by a press conference to share the latest official information with the public.

Meyer Shipping spokesman Joe Simas said that based on the most recent weather update: “The port of Bermuda will be closed as of midnight on Friday and will reopen sometime Monday afternoon. No marine traffic will be let in.”

A government spokeswoman added ”Currently, the Department of Marine and Ports, in accordance with hurricane preparedness plans, continues discussions with local shipping agents to discuss alternate ports in advance of deteriorating weather conditions associated with Hurricane Igor.”

She said there has been no official closure of the Island’s marine ports when it comes to cruise ships.The Norwegian Spirit, Enchantment of the Seas and MSC Poesia cruise ships have cancelled their weekend trips.

The Veendam is on schedule to leave at lunchtime today, but at press time last night it was still scheduled to return on Tuesday.

Mr. Simas said they may change if Bermuda’s infrastructure is damaged by the intense storm.

Meanwhile the L.F. Wade International Airport remains open and operational. Schools across Bermuda had yet to decide if classes would happen on Monday as of press time last night.

A Department of Education spokeswoman said the decisions would be made at 6 a.m. on Monday.

The City of Hamilton will turn its traffic lights off Saturday evening and Dockyard’s Clock Tower Mall will be closed throughout the weekend.

And hotels are reporting mixed results.

The Hamilton Princess is nearly full while Elbow Beach Hotel has had two groups cancel because of the storm, leaving just 14 rooms booked out for the weekend. Cambridge Beaches had 55 percent occupancy for the weekend before Igor, now they are projecting less than 45 percent due to cancellations.

As Igor drew closer residents were busy stocking up yesterday. Gas stations across the Island saw large amounts of business. A decision will not be made until later today as to when Esso service stations will be closed for the storm, according to Esso Bermuda general manager Mark Fields.

”Right now we’re getting as much product across the causeway before it closes,” Mr. Fields said. “We’re working full time keeping our stations at full capacity.” Systems checks and final preparations to secure the terminal facility in St. George’s were underway yesterday.

”It’s good to see people getting started early,” Mr. Fields said, “because in Fabian people started quite late.” He added that gasoline must be placed only in safe containers, and treated with great caution.

An employee at the Bermuda Industrial Union station on Dundonald Street said: “A lot of people have been coming in with containers, and that’s unusual. And I’ve seen people driving up with generators in their cars.”

Bermuda Democratic Alliance leader Craig Cannonier, who holds franchises for three Esso stations, said storm shutters were going up at the Collector’s Hill outlet. “I couldn’t believe how many people were lined up there,” he said. “People are taking precautions, which is good to see.”

Mr. Cannonier spoke to The Royal Gazette while getting supplies at Masters Limited. He said: “It’s very, very active here <> lines are 15 people deep. The atmosphere is nice, everyone’s happy, and it shows how Bermudians can be together.” He echoed the view that locals have learned lessons since Fabian and have planned early.

Flashlights, batteries and tarpaulins appeared to be the most popular hardware items, and plywood for covering windows and doors has also moved rapidly out of shops.

Bill Morrison, CEO of SAL Limited, said both divisions were stocking a complete list of hurricane supplies and had seen steady business for the last couple of days. “Everyone’s realised that they need supplies,” he said.

At the schools, a Warwick Academy employee summed it up as: “Buckle everything down.”

Saltus deputy headmaster Malcolm Durrant said the school was waiting to make a final decision whether to open on Monday. “The decision will be made soon,” he said, “or it might be out of our hands. The causeway could still be closed. We tend to follow the government schools.”

International Baccalaureate students at Warwick Academy have volunteered to help residents in the area stow away their outdoor furniture and secure their homes today after one p.m.

Residents of Warwick who would like help should contact Jane Vickers at jvickers@warwickacad.bm or 239-9465 before noon today.

And Digicel Bermuda has a private plane packed with emergency supplies, vital telecommunications equipment and expert riggers landing on the Island today.

It will remain available to Digicel Bermuda in the event that more human and capital resources are required from overseas. Wayne Caines, CEO, Digicel Bermuda said: “It’s all about ensuring our customers can stay connected to family and friends. We take that responsibility very seriously.

”As such, we have generators installed in the vast majority of our cell sites across the island and ample fuel supplies to meet our requirements.”

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/index.jsp
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby artist » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:40 pm

surfers taking advantage of the waves before Igor arrives-

http://bermudasun.bm/index.asp
All Swell: Surfers at Horseshoe Bay take advantage of big waves caused by the swell from Hurricane Igor. The storm was still almost 1,000 miles off shore last night but forecasters are predicting a direct hit and experts have warned islanders not to take undue risks over the weekend.
*Photo by Kageaki Smith
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#19 Postby cycloneye » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:06 pm

Luquillo,Puerto Rico beach. Look at those waves and rip currents.

http://www.comoestaeso.com/forums/content/

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby artist » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:17 pm

cycloneye wrote:Luquillo,Puerto Rico beach. Look at those waves and rip currents.

http://www.comoestaeso.com/forums/content/

[img][/img]

that break is amazing. Reminds me of what msbee posted the other day from Saint Martin when Igor passed by there. I know here on the se coast of the US there is alot of beach erosion going on. Is there alot there as well?
0 likes   

Return to “2010”