Reports & Checkin Newfoundland, CA, et al for Hurricane Igor

Moderator: S2k Moderators

artist
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Reports & Check in for those affected by Hurricane Igor

#81 Postby artist » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:45 am

I don't know where this is located but some more good news here as this restaurant survived on one of the beaches-
Duncan Adams Stuck without Power Bermuda Bistro At The Beach will be open at noon today serving full menu and beveragesabout a minute ago · Comment · Like · Flag
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#82 Postby artist » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:57 am

10:45 Tim Smith: Major damage at the Pink Beach Club, Elizabeth Roberts has just confirmed. She is on the scene now we will have more updates. Monday September 20, 2010 10:45 Tim Smith

live chat Royal Gazette
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#83 Postby artist » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:03 am

Elbow Beach - 15-20 foot "chunks" of beach are gone.
Massive beach erosion.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#84 Postby artist » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:06 am

Photo by Cleun Gaiton: Hamilton Ferry Terminal
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#85 Postby artist » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:14 am

The Bermudian ferry on the rocks
As Bermuda begins to react to the aftermath of Hurricane Igor, The Royal Gazette brings you coverage from our team of reporters around the Island. For continuous live coverage throughout the day, you can Follow It Live on our website along with more than 10,000 readers on http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/section.jsp?sectionId=3

The East End took a major battering from Hurricane Igor, with one resident telling us last night: "Town Square looks like a swimming pool."

Floods appear to have subsided this morning, with the only remaining excess water at Fort St. Catherine, where the beach is covered with rocks, although many power lines were dangling in the roads at around 10 a.m. today.

A telephone pole also came down onto a house in St. Luke's Road, St. David's - more on that incident to follow from our reporter at the scene.
The Bermudian ferry broke free from its mooring and has run aground at the edge of St. George's boatyard and a yacht has run aground on Longbird Bridge. Trees and branches litter many of the streets of the town and parish.

Meanwhile, major structural damage was visible at the Pink Beach Club in Hamilton Parish. The pounding South Shore waves had smashed their way right into at least two of the guest cottages nearest to the water.
Large amounts of rubble, sand and seaweed had been thrown by the storm surge a considerable distance into the property and roofs had also sustained damage in the wind...
... A total of 67 people spent the hurricane at the CedarBridge gymnasium shelter.

According to co-ordinator Renee Brown, people were still walking into the venue at the height of the storm last night. Some, she said, are homeless, while others felt unsafe in their own homes.

She told The Royal Gazette this morning: "Everything's been great. We have not had any incidents. We had residents looking out for each other and I had a great team of staff."

Police spokesman Dwayne Caines urged people to stay off the roads this morning.

"We are asking for all non essential vehicles to stay off the roads at this point. This is necessary for the emergency services to carry out their jobs effectively. Again please stay off of the roads until the EMO advises it is safe to do so."

His colleague Robin Simmons added in a press statement: "There is reported property damage in various locations around the Island with some trees down and debris in the road.

"Emergency services personnel are making their assessment of the damage at the moment and we would appeal for members of the public to please stay off the roads so they can carry out their jobs quickly and efficiently.

"Despite earlier appeals for people to stay indoors we continue to receive reports of members of the public driving around to have a look at the damage and this is

hindering the ability of the emergency services to do their assessments."

Mr. Simmons said the Causeway is currently being assessed and the public will be informed of its reopening via the media and the Emergency Broadcast Radio Station

100.1FM. ..

ontinued at http://www.royalgazette.com
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#86 Postby artist » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:02 am

2 people killed in US from Igor's rip currents. One in NC, the other in Massachusetts.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#87 Postby artist » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:17 am

anyone familiar with Bermuda?
This is a picture of the Causeway and you can see 2 sections down. My question is the end of it truly under water still? Or am I seeing things?

photos from by Tamell Simons and Mark Tatem The Royal Gazette.

Bernews.com As of 11:00 am, BELCO has made progress with approx 21,500 customers now without power, after starting with 28,700 customers out this morning.

Surge flooding at the Boaz has retreated.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#88 Postby artist » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:30 am

I hope lostinthetriangle, Jahja and plasticups family faired well. They are the 3 members I know of that are living in Bermuda or have family there.
Please check in when you can.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#89 Postby artist » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:40 am

This large yacht ran aground at the Swing Bridge and the small powerboat next to it appeared to be close to sinking when this picture was taken at 6.30pm on Sunday, amid hurricane force winds.
*Photo by Tony McWilliam
CREDIT: Tony McWilliam
The Bermuda Sun
0 likes   

lostinthetriangle
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re:

#90 Postby lostinthetriangle » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:45 am

artist wrote:I hope lostinthetriangle, Jahja and plasticups family faired well. They are the 3 members I know of that are living in Bermuda or have family there.

Thanks artist! We came out very well, only lost power last night at 2200, still out. Fired up the generator and got the water flowing again.and fridges working. Been up on the roof sprayed with clorox to clean all the gunk off got to be clean as we catch water on them) Yard is now cleaned up (thanks to the next door neighbor and his truck)

Going out to check on some friends, we should count our blessings this was only a cat 1 by the time it had its closest approch.

Again thanks to all who helped us through Igor, including the members of storm2K!
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#91 Postby artist » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:56 am

lostinthetriangle wrote:
artist wrote:I hope lostinthetriangle, Jahja and plasticups family faired well. They are the 3 members I know of that are living in Bermuda or have family there.

Thanks artist! We came out very well, only lost power last night at 2200, still out. Fired up the generator and got the water flowing again.and fridges working. Been up on the roof sprayed with clorox to clean all the gunk off got to be clean as we catch water on them) Yard is now cleaned up (thanks to the next door neighbor and his truck)

Going out to check on some friends, we should count our blessings this was only a cat 1 by the time it had its closest approch.

Again thanks to all who helped us through Igor, including the members of storm2K!

It's so good to hear from you! I am so glad you have made it through safely and no major damage to speak of.
It does all sound so hopeful this morning as there has only been a small amount of major damage that I am hearing about and most of the flooding is receding, other than to the damage of the electric grid. Thanks for checking in.
Now we need to hear from Jahja and plasticups.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#92 Postby artist » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:58 am

12:52pm: We have unofficial reports of some smallish visible damage to the St George’s side of the Causeway, nothing excessive visibly. Officials are assessing the Causeway and will notify the public once a decision has been made. [Our 9:33am update covers the other side]

Bernews.com
(this is at the opposite end of the Causeway, besides the damage we saw in the photo posted above)
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#93 Postby artist » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:15 am

Bernews.com BTC report 900 customers without home phone, M3 say some cell towers down - both are being worked on
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#94 Postby artist » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:18 am

1:16 Jeremy Deacon: Reporter Liz Roberts had an interview with Public Safety Minister David Burch.

This is what he said:

Public Safety Minister David Burch said Bermuda “seems to have dodged a bullet in a significant way,” with Hurricane Igor.
He said there has been damage to the Causeway, but hopes it can reopen later today.
“Some walls are down, but I think we will come up with an interim solution so we can open it later today,” he said.
He also praised Island residents for the way they handled the storm.
“I think they are to be commended. We’re so cavalier sometimes, but I think everybody took it seriously,” he said.
“There’s no injuries, no major damage, there was some minor criminal activity in the Country, breaking and entering. You expect it to happen but I’m surprised that anyone in their right mind would be out in that weather.” Monday September 20, 2010 1:16 Jeremy Deacon

The Royal Gazette live chat
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#95 Postby artist » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:33 pm

JahJa wrote:Guys, im glad to say that we survived! I went out and had look this morning but i forgot my camera. There wasnt really much to see except alot of trees and a few electricity poles down. Some people told me there was some damage to the causeway but no way near as much as when we saw fabian. The most strikng thing i noticed is that when I went to the beach on the south shore it was about 8ft lower that what it was before the storm! I really couldnt believe how much sand was taken away. I'll be going back out later so i'll be sure to grab a few pics. I was one of the lucky ones that didnt lose power last night but everyone appears to be ok. Just very minor damage. Really guys, thanks for your concerns.

so glad to see you check in Jahja and know you are ok! I will look forward to your pictures.

Giving a big sigh of relief here. Now to hear how plasticups family faired. He did mention last night their home is tucked safely away there, so from the sounds of it they are hopefully ok as well.

(from the Igor Discussion thread Jahja checked in)
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#96 Postby CrazyC83 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:23 pm

Any members on S2K from Newfoundland?
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#97 Postby Tireman4 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:50 pm

Fox does....
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Reports & Checkin Newfoundland, CA, et al for Hurricane Igor

#98 Postby artist » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:59 pm

To those that are now being affected by Hurricane Igor, could you please check in in this thread so we know how you are doing. I know we have several members in the Newfoundland area, CA et al. Know that our thoughts and prayers are with you all. Stay safe!
If anyone has the time to update thsi thread with conditions it would be greatly appreciated.
I wish I had more time to spend on this today, but here is one article I have found and I have heard it is bringing extreme rains to places in Canada-

-ST. JOHN'S, Newfoundland, Sept. 21, 2010
Igor Maintains Strength, Strikes Newfoundland
Hurricane Batters Eastern Coast of Canadian Province; New Tropical Storms Form in Atlantic, Pacific

(CBS/AP) Last Updated 2:28 p.m. ET

Hurricane Igor pelted eastern Canada with heavy rain Tuesday, flooding communities, washing out roads and stranding some residents in their homes.

"This is not your normal heavy rainfall flooding. It's having a major impact," said Chris Fogarty, of the Canadian Hurricane Centre. He said more than 8 inches of rain have already fallen in some regions in the past few hours.

Meanwhile, in the Pacific, a mild tropical storm formed and was expected to cross the Mexican resort area of Baja California later today.

CBS News 2010 Storm Tracker

A tropical storm warning and a hurricane watch were declared for the coast of Newfoundland, on the country's eastern coast, where people were urged to prepare for possible power failures and flooding from heavy rain.

Dennis Shea of the province's Emergency and Fire Services office said several communities have been cut off by high water and in some cases boats have been used to rescue people from their own homes. At least three towns, Clarenville, Marystown and Terrenceville, declared states of emergency because of localized flooding that made roads impassable.

Marystown Mayor Sam Synard said the storm was overwhelming his community's capacity to cope.

"We've never seen such a violent storm before," Synard said. "We've lost sections of our main roads, completely washed out to sea."

Keith Rodway, a member of Clarenville town council, said parts of his town had to be evacuated.

There have been no reports of injuries or fatalities.

Igor doggedly stayed just above hurricane strength, with maximum sustained winds of 80 mph. At 2:00 p.m. ET Tuesday, the storm center was about 75 miles north-northeast of St. John's in Newfoundland and moving to the northeast at a brisk 46 mph, the U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami said.

The Canadian company Husky Energy evacuated workers from two semi-submersible drilling rigs working the White Rose offshore oil field, spokeswoman Colleen McConnell said.

Heavy rain began in some places Monday night as a trough of low pressure over the Canadian Atlantic province interacted with tropical moisture ahead of Igor. Police reported more than 1 1/2 feet of water on one highway in the province.

The largest school board in the province closed its buildings down for at least the morning.

"We're as ready as we possibly can be ready," said Dennis O'Keefe, the mayor of St. John's, Newfoundland.

continued at http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/09/ ... 7144.shtml

Waterford River, St. John's, CA Phot by Paul Daly

Posted on Tue, Sep. 21, 2010

Hurricane Igor hits Canada with heavy rains

The Associated Press

ST. JOHN'S, Newfoundland - Hurricane Igor pelted eastern Canada with heavy rain Tuesday, flooding communities, washing out roads and stranding some residents in their homes. In the Pacific, a mild tropical storm formed and was expected to cross the Mexican resort area of Baja California later in the day.

The Canadian Hurricane Centre said Igor had transformed into a "post-tropical" storm, which has a different structure from a hurricane but still packs the same punch. The storm was battering Newfoundland, on Canada's eastern coast.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/n ... z10CCyQtnP
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#99 Postby breeze » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:09 pm

Check out: http://www.thetelegram.com/

Scroll down and check out the Slideshows links.

From The Telegram:

The City of St. John’s has joined several other Newfoundland municipalities
and activated its emergency response plan in light of the storm damage caused
by hurricane Igor.

According to the Canadian Hurricane Centre and the province’s Fire and Emergency
Services agency, at least 30 communities have declared states of emergency and
19 communities are isolated due to washed-out roads.

Officials are calling it the worst storm in the province’s recent history.

A total of 193 mm of rain has fallen in Bonavista so far, 217 mm in St. Lawrence
and 150 km/hr winds were recorded today at Sargona Island in Fortune Bay.

City officials say Igor is producing heavy rain and strong winds in the St. John's
metro area.

“The City of St. John’s has made preparations to assist in minimizing the effects of
this hurricane,” said a statement released by the city this afternoon.

“Crews have cleared storm sewers and culverts of debris and personnel are available
should other measures be necessary,” the release states. Citizens should listen for
updated forecasts and take appropriate precautionary measures to prevent possible
damage to property.”

City officials say residents with concerns or questions related to flooding should call
the city’s 24-hour service centre at 311, or visit the city’s website at http://www.stjohns.ca.
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#100 Postby breeze » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:27 pm

And unfortunately, a Canadian man was swept into the sea:

From CBC News: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2010/09/21/igor-hurricane-nl-921.html
0 likes   

Return to “2010”