ATL: MATTHEW - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: MATTHEW - Models

#1241 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:34 pm

cycloneye wrote:Hey peeps= There is a thread at Talking tropics forum about the next system. Visit that thread and you can see all the model runs for the other system(s).

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=109519&hilit=&p=2074630#p2074630

well unfortunately Im still not sold on the whole idea of matthew completely dissipating. it could still leave behind enough of it low level circ to still be called matthew. I see no reason to talk about it in another thread until matthew is dead and the other system is for sure separate from matthew. right now all we have are models showing a mess..
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1242 Postby SouthFloridawx » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:44 pm

I think I remember way back to the first storm of the year.. Alex.. Alex was huge and I believe that I asked why Alex was so large, and the response was something about developing on the eastern end of a monsoon trough. Now the Nogaps model, has developed a very large system.

Could this be the very same reasoning behind this?
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#1243 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:01 pm

HWRF is right there with the GFS and EURO except it maintains matthew.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Air Force Met
Military Met
Military Met

#1244 Postby Air Force Met » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:39 pm

DESTRUCTION5 wrote:Well I see alot of models hooking him back out over the gulf of honduras...why is it impossible to believe its not him coming back under Jamacia as a potent storm in the long run?

That's not really what the models are showing. The HWRF, for instance...is not actually showing that hook. If you look at it very closely...it is showing the same thing the GFS is showing: Matthew moves WNW...dissipates...and at the same time a large/broad low forms over the NW Carib...and another low forms east. However...due to the way the model is trying to track the low level feature...it "follows" the lowest pressure and gives the appearance that it is all one system...Matthew...hooking out to the NE. It should be noted, however, that the HWRF is 60 miles too far north already and is therefor not initializing correctly.

If you take a look at all the global models...and look at the big picture they are painting for you...you see that what they are trying to show you is not a hook of Matthew...but a separate low forming on a broad low/monsoon trof. Matthew is almost inland...and will be onshore or almost on shore by the 21z advisory. As the NHC said this morning...and as the GFS has been showing...the mid level vorticity center from Matthew will decouple from the sfc center over the next day and will dissipate over Guatemala. What's left of the LLC will dissipate over N Guatemala/Yucatan. A broad trof will be left...and that is form Nicole in a few days.
0 likes   

Air Force Met
Military Met
Military Met

Re:

#1245 Postby Air Force Met » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:41 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:HWRF is right there with the GFS and EURO except it maintains matthew.

See previous posts. It really doesn't maintain Matthew if you get to the heart of what it is trying to say. Go frame by frame and you will watch it dissipate the LLC that is Matthew...and at the same time...create a large generic area of low pressure after 72 hours over the NW Carib....then it generates a new LLC.
0 likes   

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1246 Postby fci » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:54 pm

It seens that through all of the analysis, Matthew turns or dies and Nicole forms; the models seem locked on something threatening Florida next week and I don't think I have seen any ProMets discount what the models are saying.
True?
0 likes   

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1247 Postby Dean4Storms » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:16 pm

Yep, looks like Mathew is toast. No way at the trajectory he's headed in with the steering current collapsing in a couple days that he makes it back to the western Carib.

Time to look for a new low forming off to the east.
0 likes   

ospreygrad
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1248 Postby ospreygrad » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:23 pm

Peeps, at the rate of speed and trajectory Matthew is currently taking it almost seems as if he wants to move straight through CA and go into the Eastern Pacific.

But, realistically I think at the rate he is moving Matthew will get far enough inland where he will stall out in the mountainous terrain of Honduras and Guatemala. My prayers to those people down there as devastating floods are certain to occur down there. I too look for development to occur later in the weekend in the NW Caribbean where we may see Nicole born. We shall see.
0 likes   

sunnyday
Category 5
Category 5

#1249 Postby sunnyday » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:33 pm

I have never seen such confusion about a storm, be it real or dissipated. My head is spinning. Since all bets seem to be off, I prefer to think that Florida will be in the clear.

This is not a forecast of any kind. It is just an expression of my confusion.
0 likes   

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#1250 Postby otowntiger » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:41 pm

sunnyday wrote:I have never seen such confusion about a storm, be it real or dissipated. My head is spinning. Since all bets seem to be off, I prefer to think that Florida will be in the clear.

Well some models (the ECMF) in particular are certainly hinting that Floridians don't need to worry too much because not only does it seem nearly certain that Matthew will just be a huge rain event in CA but that the 'surprise' system that everyone is so interested in now appears to be just a large, weak low presssure area that misses the US altogether. We shall see but your estimation of Florida now being in the clear has seems to have some validity. It's amazing how mother nature can toy with us so well and our technology and knowledge is left to try to figure out what happened. :wink:
0 likes   

HURRICANELONNY
Category 5
Category 5

#1251 Postby HURRICANELONNY » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:10 pm

Yep. Fantasy models. Not worth a crap. Even The other fantasy storm that was after matthew is mostly gone. Wow. I had a feeling it was a bunch of bull. But what got me was how consistent the models were. Shows ya. Anything past 3 days is garbaaaage. :roll:
0 likes   
hurricanelonny

caneseddy
Category 5
Category 5

#1252 Postby caneseddy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:25 pm

otowntiger wrote:
sunnyday wrote:I have never seen such confusion about a storm, be it real or dissipated. My head is spinning. Since all bets seem to be off, I prefer to think that Florida will be in the clear.

Well some models (the ECMF) in particular are certainly hinting that Floridians don't need to worry too much because not only does it seem nearly certain that Matthew will just be a huge rain event in CA but that the 'surprise' system that everyone is so interested in now appears to be just a large, weak low presssure area that misses the US altogether. We shall see but your estimation of Florida now being in the clear has seems to have some validity. It's amazing how mother nature can toy with us so well and our technology and knowledge is left to try to figure out what happened. :wink:

Actually, the Euro is the only one that has shown a miss to the east; every other model shows a Florida hit ;)
0 likes   

Saints
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#1253 Postby Saints » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:30 pm

Like I mentioned yesterday, much to do about nothing. Thank goodness for everyone along the U.S. Gulf coast areas. There isn't really much to be concerned about with Matthew.

Have fun watching for the next potential system. Enjoy the beautiful weather coming up.
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#1254 Postby ConvergenceZone » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:35 pm

Dean4Storms wrote:Yep, looks like Mathew is toast. No way at the trajectory he's headed in with the steering current collapsing in a couple days that he makes it back to the western Carib.
Time to look for a new low forming off to the east.

I'm still wondering if what's leftover from Matthew still has a remote chance of becomming a depression again as it moves towards Florida?
Just a bit confused whether or not we should put a fork in it....and move on to whatever storm may be next, maybe in a couple of weeks or so...
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1255 Postby cycloneye » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:42 pm

From the 5 PM Advisory discussion:

FOR THE PAST FEW DAYS GLOBAL MODELS HAVE BEEN CONSISTENTLY DEPICTING
A TROPICAL CYCLONE IN THE NORTHWESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA TOWARD THE
MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK. THE MOST RECENT RUNS INDICATE THAT ANY
DEVELOPMENT THERE WOULD LIKELY NOT HAVE CONTINUITY WITH MATTHEW...
BUT RATHER REPRESENT THE FORMATION A NEW TROPICAL CYCLONE.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Jinkers
Category 1
Category 1

#1256 Postby Jinkers » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:51 pm

I'm going to put up my potential shutters for all these potential storms.... :roll:
0 likes   

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#1257 Postby otowntiger » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:16 pm

Jinkers wrote:I'm going to put up my potential shutters for all these potential storms.... :roll:
:lol:
0 likes   

StormClouds63
Category 2
Category 2

#1258 Postby StormClouds63 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:59 pm

Matthew is heading for oblivion ... torrential, flooding rains will be his legacy.
0 likes   

plasticup
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1259 Postby plasticup » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:02 pm

HURRICANELONNY wrote:Yep. Fantasy models. Not worth a crap. Even The other fantasy storm that was after matthew is mostly gone. Wow. I had a feeling it was a bunch of bull. But what got me was how consistent the models were. Shows ya. Anything past 3 days is garbaaaage. :roll:

The longer-range stuff can be good in the open ocean, but on/near land errors of 50-100 miles in the first three days can completely change the 5-day outlook so the variance increases more rapidly.
0 likes   
Eyes: Emily '86, Dean '89, Felix '95, Gert '99, Fabian '03, Humberto '19, Paulette '20

hurricaneCW
Category 5
Category 5

#1260 Postby hurricaneCW » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:06 pm

StormClouds63 wrote:Matthew is heading for oblivion ... torrential, flooding rains will be his legacy.

What to way to go, firing out extremely cold cloud tops while its well inland. I hope we don't start getting gruesome reports of all the flooding in those areas.

So Matthew isn't the big U.S. threat that models had suggested, at least we have that cleared up.
0 likes   

Return to “2010”